I HATE Beans, but want to eat them...

lwagnitz
lwagnitz Posts: 1,321 Member
I know, it sounds weird. I LOATHE beans. Just the smell of them makes me want to gag. I sort of like chickpeas (but won't go out of my way to eat them) and can stomach black beans. I'm a texture eater, so that has A LOT to do with it, but the taste grosses me out too. I know beans are super good for you, and I want to get them in my diet. Any suggestions on how do to this? Recipes? Etc?

Appreciated!

Replies

• kentmac
    kentmac Posts: 101 Member
    Rice + Beans!! love it. Sautee up some onions and jalapenos, cook til tender, add the beans, cook a few more minutes, serve over rice.

In general though, you don't need to eat a food if you don't like it, even if it is healthy. If it really turns your stomach that much, just eat somethin' else! There are plenty of other ways to get your fiber and protein/carbs (beans have a good amount of both.)
  • marycmeadows
    marycmeadows Posts: 1,691 Member
    I put white kidney beans and black beans in protein shakes. (made in the blender of course). They blend in and you don't taste them. I also bake with beans (you can make black bean brownies, that are fudgy and delish.

Also, chickpeas are great on salads!
  • SueGremlin
    SueGremlin Posts: 1,066 Member
    Puree them! They add great body to soups and sauces. Also do you like lentils? They are very healthy and full of good quality protein. (complete protein if they are sprouted!)
    Lentil dal or chana masala (look up recipes on food.com, they're easy if you have the spices in your cabinet) are the most delicious foods on the planet.
  • lachesissss
    lachesissss Posts: 1,298 Member
    Black Bean burgers! Bean and Corn Burritos!
  • B_Mindful
    B_Mindful Posts: 38 Member
    Lentils were my "gateway bean". They don't have quite the same texture as other beans, have a kind of 'nutty' taste and are really easy to cook. This looks like a good recipe to start with: http://allrecipes.com/recipe/lentil-soup/ It sounds very similar to one that I make.
  • verptwerp
    verptwerp Posts: 3,659 Member
    roast the garbanzos ........ they are DELICIOUS !
  • lwagnitz
    Rice + Beans!! love it. Sautee up some onions and jalapenos, cook til tender, add the beans, cook a few more minutes, serve over rice.

In general though, you don't need to eat a food if you don't like it, even if it is healthy. If it really turns your stomach that much, just eat somethin' else! There are plenty of other ways to get your fiber and protein/carbs (beans have a good amount of both.)

That sounds yummy! I'm going to try that.

& Yeah I know, but I don't eat much meat at all, and was actually vegetarian for 3 years, but couldn't do it because I refused to eat beans. My husband has snuck some beans and burritos without me knowing. I noticed it, but didn't mind it. I think things that have a more powerful taste (like with onions and jalapenos like you said) would be really helpful, that way I get the texture without the taste, so I can gradually get used to them. I was never a fussy eater. I just always hated 1. beans 2. fatty meat (this includes all pork for me lol)
  • lwagnitz
    In response to that, I think there are a lot of people things don't like, and as they grow, or try them more, (almost an accquired taste) they will learn to enjoy them. If you read my other comment, I stated that I don't really eat meat or a lot of protein fortified foods, and beans ARE really good for you. I could ask "well, if you really like chips, just eat them!" Just because you like them, doesn't mean you should. And just because you don't like something, doesn't mean you shouldn't. I guess this is just a personal challenge for myself on my journey to being healthier. Getting healthy isn't just about cutting bad foods, it's about adding good foods too.
  • maddymama
    maddymama Posts: 1,183 Member
    Look up a recipe for unfried refried beans.... I like them much more than refried beans in a Mexican restaurant. I smear them in tortillas, add cheese and it's a quick and easy dinner or lunch.
    Also, try to cook the dried beans yourself. I find beans in a can mushy, but if I soak and then cook beans in a crockpot all day, they have a much better texture. I can then add them to things, make a side salad out of them, add them to meatloaf, soups, etc.
  • dr2k12
    dr2k12 Posts: 291 Member
    Embrace the beans, love the beans, be... The Beans :tongue:
  • GemskiB
    GemskiB Posts: 95 Member
    Mexican bean lasagne thing... Serves 4:

BASIC INGREDIENTS
    6 soft tortillas (the small long life ones)
    2 x cans black beans (400g each)
    2 x cans tomatoes with chilli (400g each)
    1 x packet fajita seasoning
    70g Mexicana or cheddar, grated

OPTIONAL EXTRAS
    1 sliced onion
    A few mushrooms
    Crushed garlic

Oven to gas 4 or 5

If using extras, fry the onions in a little oil, adding water if it gets a bit sticky

Add the mushrooms and garlic and soften for a couple of minutes

Id not using extras, just start with the drained beans in a pan and start to warm through, and add the fajita seasoning

Add the tinned tomatoes and warm through.

Slice the tortillas in half. Put a third of the bean and tomato mix at the bottom of a 30cm sq tin, add a little cheese and a layer of cheese. Repeat twice more and finish with cheese on top of tortillas.

Will only take around 15 mins in the oven as the mix is already hot. I love this dinner, easily halfed to serve two and if I do this I use a loaf tin to cook it in :-)
  • PanteraGirl
    PanteraGirl Posts: 566 Member
    If you like chick peas try some hummus with crackers. There are tons of recipes online for mixed bean salads with dressings and you don't even smell the beans or really taste the beans
  • Anna800
    Anna800 Posts: 637 Member
    Yeah I know, but I don't eat much meat at all, and was actually vegetarian for 3 years, but couldn't do it because I refused to eat beans.
    I'm a vegetarian but rarely eat beans, just don't have time to cook them, but don't mind eating them. Being a vegetarian has nothing to do with eating beans. lol
  • utahgirl247
    utahgirl247 Posts: 370 Member
    drain and rinse your red kidney or any other bean for that matter and add small amts at a time to your salads. rice and beans are great. seasoned black beans. i am sure you can find something that will work for you. i add black beans to taco meat and we love it.
  • MinMin97
    MinMin97 Posts: 2,676 Member
    WHY would you eat something you loathe?
    Eat what you like, in moderation.
    Your tastes do change somewhat, as you eat healthier and get more fit.
    Like....I have started to eat steamed veggies at breakfast, and I actually love it.
    Never did that before.
  • mamaclose
    mamaclose Posts: 219 Member
    I recently made this recipe and everyone in my family loved it!

http://ohsheglows.com/2010/09/08/high-protein-garlic-mashed-potatoes/
  • lwagnitz
    Yeah I know, but I don't eat much meat at all, and was actually vegetarian for 3 years, but couldn't do it because I refused to eat beans.
    I'm a vegetarian but rarely eat beans, just don't have time to cook them, but don't mind eating them. Being a vegetarian has nothing to do with eating beans. lol

I wasn't eating enough protein and was getting really sick - this is what my nutritionist told me. Not necessarily by not eating beans. I would prefer to get my protein through actual food rather than supplements. And eating high caloric nuts and peanut butter really isn't ideal. Whatever the case, I don't think there's any real downside to eating beans? lol
  • Capt_Apollo
    Capt_Apollo Posts: 9,026 Member
    i love beans!!! the people in my vicinity a few hours later, do not.
  • SweetMe1
    SweetMe1 Posts: 73 Member
    I don't eat things I don't like and have taught me sons the same thing. One son, when he was five, kept making faces as he ate asparagus and I told him he didn't have to eat it. "Yes, I do!" he told me. "They're good for me!" Life is too short to eat stuff you don't like. No one food is absolutely essential to health. For example, cruciferous vegetables are good, but some (broccoli) I won't eat and others (cabbage) I will. :-)
  • imwithgizmo
    imwithgizmo Posts: 146 Member
    I don't eat beans. But I do eat meat, so it's not a protein issue. Maybe try Quinoa? It is tasty and has protein.