Diet Pepsi Not Helping

Options
Experiment: see if I stop drinking Diet Pepsi will I lose weight?

Answer YES

Avid Diet Pepsi drinker, 1-2 20oz bottles per day. I would feel bad and get grouchy if I did not have my Diet Pepsi. It was bad, plus I had an idea that it could be causing me to gain weight. So it took a few weeks, who am I kidding; it took a month and a half to break the habit.

I started by exchaning my Diet Pepsi bottle with a water bottle. Each time I replaced Diet Pepsi I would extend the switch for an additional day. Example: off one day, on one day, off two days, on one day, off three days, on one day, off four days, on one day, off five days, on one day and so on. Now I am off Diet Pepsi and if I get to where I need something to boost my tired eyes, I have ice tea.

So this weekend we were out and about far away from home and we ended up needing to eat out. I thought hum, a diet coke for lunch will not hurt that much. What happened? When I did my daily weigh in first thing in the morning I weighed in 3 pounds heavier then the day before. It takes about two days for the weight to come back off. I'm shocked that my body is so sensitive to diet soda. Who would have thought?

Has anyone else had these kinds of responses to diet soda?
:huh:

Replies

• withchaco
    withchaco Posts: 1,026 Member
    Options
    3 pound weight gain following a meal eaten out? My bet is water weight from all the sodium. Most restaurants have sodium-packed menus.

Sometimes I drink diet coke/ diet pepsi. Doesn't seem to affect my weight. But who knows, maybe you're allergic to something in it.
  • needamulligan
    needamulligan Posts: 558 Member
    Options
    3 pound weight gain following a meal eaten out? My bet is water weight from all the sodium. Most restaurants have sodium-packed menus.

Sometimes I drink diet coke/ diet pepsi. Doesn't seem to affect my weight. But who knows, maybe you're allergic to something in it.

Exactly!
  • BIRT1956
    BIRT1956 Posts: 31 Member
    Options
    I don't drink diet Pepsi but I do drink diet Coke, several or more day. I haven't noticed weight gain from drinking it. Maybe it's not the diet Pepsi so much as it is the food you eat when you eat out. Restaurant food is notorious for having lots of sodium. I ate lunch at Texas Roadhouse today and when I logged my meal it was well over 1,800 grams of sodium. I know when I weigh myself in the morning it is going to show as a gain. :grumble:

But I realize that it is just water weight and will drop off in a few days. It takes 3500 calories to gain an actual pound so I know my diet Coke isn't the culprit.
  • Acg67
    Acg67 Posts: 12,142 Member
    Options
    whitebreadloaf.jpg
  • neohdiver
    neohdiver Posts: 738 Member
    Options
    I thought hum, a diet coke for lunch will not hurt that much. What happened? When I did my daily weigh in first thing in the morning I weighed in 3 pounds heavier then the day before. It takes about two days for the weight to come back off.

That's not a real weight gain. A 3 lb gain requires eating 10,500 more calories than your body needed to function. Losing it in two days requires a similar deficit of 7,000 calories. Pretty much Impossible to do in a 2 day period.

When your weight fluctuates on a day to day basis, it isn't real weight gain - it has to do with the weight of the food in your body and not yet eliminated, or water retention.
  • stephanie1133
    Options

So this weekend we were out and about far away from home and we ended up needing to eat out. I thought hum, a diet coke for lunch will not hurt that much.

If everything else would have been the same in your diet except for the diet soda, I would think you had something there. But you ate out, that right there may have done it, sans diet soda. Like the others said, anyway it goes, it is probably mostly water weight (unless you really really over did it at lunch) and has little or nothing to do with the diet pepsi.
  • nxd10
    nxd10 Posts: 4,570 Member
    Options
    Agree with everything said above. BUT . . .

Diet soda, which tastes sweet even though it isn't, triggers a heightened insulin spike, just like real sugar. Just thinking about food does, being close to meal times, etc. So you're going to have a similar physiological response to it. In fact (just thinking) perhaps more so, as you don't have real sugar in your blood to sequester. Which is why diet soda doesn't help dieting.
  • Awkward30
    Awkward30 Posts: 1,927 Member
    Options
    whitebreadloaf.jpg

I bet that wouldn't happen if you switched to wheat.

You're welcome.
  • maxonehiphop
    maxonehiphop Posts: 139 Member
    Options
    the "diet" soda isn't responsible for your "gain"

I drink in excess of 12lbs of water a day. My weight fluctuates a similar (to 12 not 3) amount each day. It's not fat gain
  • neohdiver
    neohdiver Posts: 738 Member
    Options
    Diet soda, which tastes sweet even though it isn't, triggers a heightened insulin spike, just like real sugar.

It actually doesn't cause an insulin spike: http://examine.com/faq/do-artificial-sweeteners-spike-insulin.html#ref8

(I went to verify my understanding because (1) my spouse is a diabetic, and if artificial sweeteners caused an insulin spike that would be problem and (2) I know I react very differently to sugar v. artificial sweeteners (sugar triggers cravings; artificial sweeteners do not))
  • MemphisKitten
    MemphisKitten Posts: 878 Member
    Options
    Diet soda and artificial sweeteners cause our brains to crave sugar, so we eat more. Artificial sweeteners are one of the main reasons we are all FAT!!
  • Amy911Gray
    Amy911Gray Posts: 685 Member
    Options
    Mine is bread and tortillas. One serving=3 pounds!
  • etoiles_argentees
    etoiles_argentees Posts: 2,827 Member
    Options
    Diet soda, which tastes sweet even though it isn't, triggers a heightened insulin spike, just like real sugar.

It actually doesn't cause an insulin spike: http://examine.com/faq/do-artificial-sweeteners-spike-insulin.html#ref8

(I went to verify my understanding because (1) my spouse is a diabetic, and if artificial sweeteners caused an insulin spike that would be problem and (2) I know I react very differently to sugar v. artificial sweeteners (sugar triggers cravings; artificial sweeteners do not))

soooooo...what are you looking for by posting this?
  • Gwen_B
    Gwen_B Posts: 1,018 Member
    Options
    That is very possible. Read this:

CBS) Sorry, soda lovers - even diet drinks can make you fat.

That's the word from authors of two new studies, presented Sunday at a meeting of the American Diabetes Association in San Diego.

"Data from this and other prospective studies suggest that the promotion of diet sodas as healthy alternatives may be ill-advised" Dr. Helen Hazuda, professor of medicine at University of Texas Health Science Center at San Antonio, said in a written statement. "They may be free of calories, but not of consequences."

Consequences like weight gain.

For one study, researchers at the center followed 474 diet soda drinkers, 65 to 74 years of age, for almost 10 years. They found that diet soda drinkers' waists grew 70 percent more than non-drinkers. Specifically, drinking two or more diet sodas a day busted belt sizes five times more than people who avoided the stuff entirely.

And as waist size grows, so do health risks - including diabetes, heart disease, cancer, and other chronic conditions.

http://www.cbsnews.com/8301-504763_162-20075358-10391704/new-study-is-wake-up-call-for-diet-soda-drinkers/
  • redrdghood40
    redrdghood40 Posts: 13 Member
    Options
    I have seen a lot of articles on this lately. I quit drinking diet soda almost 2 1/2 yrs ago. I never noticed any weight drop though.
  • tacticalhippie
    tacticalhippie Posts: 596 Member
    Options
    This past year, I gave up diet sodas for lent.
    For the first time, I started seeing the scale move.

I may drink a can every day or two but I used to knock down at least a half a 12 pack a day.
  • cmcorn26
    cmcorn26 Posts: 253 Member
    Options
    It does it to me too! I haven't been able to completely break the habit, ugh! Might use your method! Thank you!
  • mmapags
    mmapags Posts: 8,934 Member
    Options
    Diet soda and artificial sweeteners cause our brains to crave sugar, so we eat more. Artificial sweeteners are one of the main reasons we are all FAT!!

Where do you get this information from?? What is your proof source for this?
  • Austin1988
    Austin1988 Posts: 243 Member
    Options
    I drank a diet coke and ate some corn. The next day, I gained 47 lbs.
  • Sublog
    Sublog Posts: 1,296 Member
    Options
    I drink diet pepsi's every day during my entire weight loss, didn't seem to hamper my results one iota! It has no calories!