Breakfast vs IF (intermittent fasting)

Options

Replies

• Anaconda62
    Options
    Breakfast is the most important meal of the day, but you only get it's full effects if you also eat second breakfast and elevensies. Then you fast until high tea, then eat the last of your calories at 7pm sharp!

Ah, the Hobbit Diet! Highly effective.
  • kpnuts23
    kpnuts23 Posts: 960 Member
    Options
    You can't lose fat without IF.

05d.jpg

Made me smile :)
  • capnwo85
    capnwo85 Posts: 1,103 Member
    Options
    Cals in vs. Cals Out. Next Topic please.
  • FirefitMike
    FirefitMike Posts: 85 Member
    Options
    Cals in vs. Cals Out. Next Topic please.

What he said.

If I eat breakfast at 11 am or 1 pm it is still break-fast.
  • kdb247
    kdb247 Posts: 326 Member
    Options
    LOL:laugh:
  • Cmonnowguys
    Cmonnowguys Posts: 361 Member
    Options
    I started IF and I really like it. It helps me avoid the morning snacks lurking at work and overeating at night after i've had dinner. I fast from 8pm to noon. The first couple of days i was a little hungry but i quickly adjusted and now my body starts getting hungry around 1130am. It helped me to start on the weekend, that way I was able to sleep through the morning and eat pretty soon after waking up. I think that was easier than it would have been starting on a monday morning when I'm up by 6.

The times you eat have little to no effect on your metabolism. Just make sure your overall calorie consumption is adequate. On that note, I eat about 1900 calories a day and I feel much more satisfied with that amount now with IF because I eat it over an 8 hr window, rather than a 15 hr window. Because of that, it does make it a little more difficult to eat higher goals because you may too full physically.
  • kdb247
    Options
    I am laughing only at the pic & not the topic question!:laugh:
  • kdb247
    Options
    You can't lose fat without IF.

05d.jpg

This is a funny pic!
  • Cmonnowguys
    Cmonnowguys Posts: 361 Member
    Options
    I can't at all see how this would be beneficial. If you are exercising, you need the calories and nutrition necessary to power your body through. I've seen far more studies that show small meals every couple of hours is far more effective than fasting. By fasting, you aren't doing anything at all to keep your metabolism running at a high level.

When fasting you still get your allotted calories for the week, you still fuel your body. Fasting has many benefits. Recent studies have shown that meal timing/frequency have no effect on metabolism. In fact, I just read a study over the weekend (I wish I had saved the link) showing that eating 6+ meals a day had no effect on metabolism but eating 3 times a day actually slightly raised metabolism. The only benefit for some to eat several times is to keep from being hungry and over indulging. For me, eating several times a day backfires, I am more hungry and feel like I'm obsessing about food ALL. DAY. LONG. Since switching to IF (I do a 16:8 fast, 16 hours fasting, 8 to eat) I feel tons better, I sleep better, have more energy and don't feel hungry, making it easier to stay with in my allowances. It comes down to everyone has to do what works for them but don't form an opinionn about anything until you understand how it works.

I have the same experience as you! Eating small frequent meals slowly turned into eating big frequent meals and I found myself overeating and eating all day long. IF really helps me to be in tune with my body and when I'm actually hungry and I feel more satisfied with the same 1900 calories I was eating before because now I eat them over a shorter period of time.

I am very active (lifting, biking, running) and IF works fine for me and that lifestyle.
  • lhergenr
    lhergenr Posts: 242 Member
    Options
    I don't know much about IF but have read that article on lean gains about breakfast making you hungrier and I've noticed that is definitely the case. I had a meal about an hour after waking up the other day, felt full, but about 30 minutes later I felt hungry again. Having "breakfast" turns me into a ravenous beast.
  • bcattoes
    bcattoes Posts: 17,299 Member
    Options
    I'm not a big fan of either. I'm usually not hungry in the mornings and I find planned meal timing tedious. I prefer to eat when I'm hungry. That works best for me.
  • Krizzle4Rizzle
    Krizzle4Rizzle Posts: 2,704 Member
    Options
    I can't at all see how this would be beneficial. If you are exercising, you need the calories and nutrition necessary to power your body through. I've seen far more studies that show small meals every couple of hours is far more effective than fasting. By fasting, you aren't doing anything at all to keep your metabolism running at a high level.

Eating small meals every couple of hours is what made me gain weight in the first place

Um..what?
  • mariababes27
    Options
    All this info is helpful!!
  • yo_andi
    yo_andi Posts: 2,178 Member
    Options

I eat firewood to keep my metabolic fire stoked

Don't forget drinking kerosene!
  • monty619
    monty619 Posts: 1,308 Member
    Options
    i would never do IF.
  • Sarauk2sf
    Sarauk2sf Posts: 28,072 Member
    Options

Please cite these studies.
  • Sarauk2sf
    Sarauk2sf Posts: 28,072 Member
    Options
    I am not hungry in the morning so do not eat until early afternoon as there is no benefit from a weight loss perspective to do so. I do have lattes in the morning though. I lift in the morning and as long as I eat enough the day before do not see any impact on my performance.

Edited to fix typo
  • Abells
    Abells Posts: 756 Member
    Options
    *to each his own*

I just started IF and I don't do breakfast. I love it....I drink a coffee in the morning (black) that is all and mad water. Then lunch dinner I load protein and carbs. Do what works for you. I used to do the small meals throughout the day but I wanted to change it up to see different progress and so far so good.

See what works for you....
  • Mguilmot
    Mguilmot Posts: 232 Member
    Options
    IF helps me psychologically. I know when I can start to eat, and when to stop. I don't have the desire to eat after 6PM anymore. Honestly, I do not see a difference with the fat loss, but it's a great help anyway :-)
  • StevenHaley
    Options
    What is Intermittent Fasting? How do you set the times (when to fast and how long for etc.....) and how does it work?