Clean eating condiments?

Options

Replies

• secretlobster
    secretlobster Posts: 3,566 Member
    Options
    If you really don't think the ingredients in processed food have any bearing on your health whatsoever, then please, continue to poke fun at people who are attempting to eat less high fructose corn syrup. I'm sure there's absolutely no link between rising rates of obesity and disease in developed countries and the fact that much of our food is created in a lab.
  • SideSteel
    SideSteel Posts: 11,068 Member
    Options

To those who have some issue against the "clean eating" concept, why bother reading this thread?

Because people have a misunderstanding that partitioning their food into "clean" and "unclean" will give them an advantage in weight loss and/or health, when the reality is that they should be looking at nutritive content, among other things.

Not everyone uses MFP for weight loss, some are interested in being healthier by limiting ingredients from unnatural sources

I understand that. Doesn't change my mind about my previous statement.
  • hughtwalker
    hughtwalker Posts: 2,213 Member
    Options
    Worcester sauce
    Ketchup is bang full of antioxidants
    garlic powder in place of salt

define "clean" please?
  • SideSteel
    Options
    If you really don't think the ingredients in processed food have any bearing on your health whatsoever, then please, continue to poke fun at people who are attempting to eat less high fructose corn syrup. I'm sure there's absolutely no link between rising rates of obesity and disease in developed countries and the fact that much of our food is created in a lab.

http://www.alanaragonblog.com/2010/01/29/the-bitter-truth-about-fructose-alarmism/

Also, false dilemma much?
  • BronnersHarris
    BronnersHarris Posts: 247 Member
    Options
    Thanks for everyone's ideas. Didn't realise it would create an issue for others - I don't think 'clean' eating has a necessary advantage to weight loss (I'm not trying to lose atm) and only really used the term to refer to a healthier/less processed options than I normally use.

I don't think it would be a magic cure to health by not eating processed condiments I just would like to have other options rather than the standard shop bought ketcup/mayo etc. :)
  • secretlobster
    Options

Because a dude wrote it on a blog.

Guess what, most of diet and nutrition is controversial. There are conflicting studies and ideas. It doesn't make me an "alarmist" for wanting to eat bread that is made out of bread, and doesn't list HCFS as its primary ingredient (my boyfriend bought this home a few weeks ago.)

If you'd rather not eat real food because you're proving a point that you can have muscles and eat McDonald's, that's fine with me and I won't argue. Nice arms.
  • Akimajuktuq
    Akimajuktuq Posts: 3,037 Member
    Options

Yup, I'm as frustrated as you with those comments.

Why do other people have such an issue with people who are trying to eat as healthy as possible? The quality of our food has nothing to do with our health? Really? I just can't follow that "logic". (No, I don't eat totally "clean" but I do my best to keep the majority of my food as healthy as possible, and, surprise, all my health problems went away.)
  • SideSteel
    Options

Yup, I'm as frustrated as you with those comments.

You're frustrated with the strawman she set up or you're frustrated with her comments above?

Why do other people have such an issue with people who are trying to eat as healthy as possible?
    I don't.
    The quality of our food has nothing to do with our health? Really? I just can't follow that "logic".

Find an example where I or anyone else in this thread said the above.

This is another strawman and false dilemma.
  • EvgeniZyntx
    EvgeniZyntx Posts: 24,208 Member
    Options

Did you know that most developing countries use condiments and certainly the majority of traditional dishes I have tasted around the world have some sort of sauce or spice. My mustard, my Masala powder, my mole, my sari-chi, my salt, my vinegar, etc. etc. etc. have no HFCs. I really do not see what that has got to do with it.

1 teaspoon of the ketchup is 15 calories.
  • secretlobster
    Options

You're frustrated with the strawman she set up or you're frustrated with her comments above?

If you think I'm creating a "strawman" argument (perhaps you need to read up on logical fallacies, this one is thrown around a lot and misunderstood), then let's step back, so you can explain to me why it's "alarmist" to eat fewer lab-created ingredients
  • SideSteel
    Options

let's step back, so you can explain to me why it's "alarmist" to eat fewer lab-created ingredients

Find where I said the above please.

Thanks.
  • secretlobster
    Options
    Did you know that most developing countries use condiments and certainly the majority of traditional dishes I have tasted around the world have some sort of sauce or spice. My mustard, my Masala powder, my mole, my sari-chi, my salt, my vinegar, etc. etc. etc. have no HFCs. I really do not see what that has got to do with it.

Yes I did know that. What's your point here? Someone asked for ideas for condiments, no one said all condiments are over-processed vials of genetically modified evil.
  • secretlobster
    Options
    Find where I said the above please.

You link to a blog post about "fructose alarmism" and identify lab-created food/growing obesity as a "false dilemma".

You are now arguing semantics and logical fallacies. Your argument has become an argument about arguments. You may find yourself the "winner", but you've actually gotten nowhere.

Hopefully the OP got something out of this thread.
  • EvgeniZyntx
    EvgeniZyntx Posts: 24,208 Member
    Options
    If you think I'm creating a "strawman" argument (perhaps you need to read up on logical fallacies, this one is thrown around a lot and misunderstood), then let's step back, so you can explain to me why it's "alarmist" to eat fewer lab-created ingredients

Which lab-created ingredients are you talking about?

Ever heard of lycopene? It's a natural phytochemical from tomatoes found in ketchup and marinara sauce. It is also also a food coloring (e160d) and has know and researched possible/unclear anti-cancer properties. Would you like that sauce with a reference?
  • SideSteel
    Options
    You are now arguing semantics and logical fallacies. Your argument has become an argument about arguments. You may find yourself the "winner", but you've actually gotten nowhere.

I am pointing out your logical fallacies because you are not even discussing points that I am making. You are taking my points and setting up your own strawmen and then knocking them down.
    Hopefully the OP got something out of this thread.

I absolutely agree with this part.
  • secretlobster
    Options

Ever heard of lycopene? It's a natural phytochemical from tomatoes found in ketchup and marinara sauce. It is also also a food coloring (e160d) and has know and researched possible/unclear anti-cancer properties. Would you like that sauce with a reference?

Because you don't seem able to figure this out, I'll be blunt. No, obviously I have nothing against the TOMATOES in tomato sauce.

Honestly, I've got no choice but to concede defeat. Everyone has references to why they're right. No one is going to change their mind. If you don't believe there's any merit to eating food that comes from the ground without being chemically altered by humans, that's absolutely your prerogative. I'm not interested in changing your mind. My interest was giving the OP ideas on flavoring food without compromising what she wants from her own diet.
  • pandorakick
    pandorakick Posts: 901 Member
    Options
    Mustard! If you can get mustard seed and have a mortar and pestle, you can even make your own. There are plenty of recipes to be found on the web for that.
  • hughtwalker
    hughtwalker Posts: 2,213 Member
    Options
    Hey! Kiddies - play nice

Anyway, so which foods are unclean then?
  • peuglow
    peuglow Posts: 684 Member
    Options

To those who have some issue against the "clean eating" concept, why bother reading this thread?

Because people have a misunderstanding that partitioning their food into "clean" and "unclean" will give them an advantage in weight loss and/or health, when the reality is that they should be looking at nutritive content, among other things.
    QFT.

10/10 Would read again