Diet Pepsi Not Helping

Options
124»

Replies

• mmapags
    mmapags Posts: 8,934 Member
    Options
    Diet soda and artificial sweeteners cause our brains to crave sugar, so we eat more. Artificial sweeteners are one of the main reasons we are all FAT!!

Where do you get this information from?? What is your proof source for this?

How about the Yale Journal of Biology and Medicine? Is that a reputable enough source for you? If you want more info, they list 60 more reputable studies and articles from which they compiled that article. http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC2892765/

Yes, thanks! I will take a look.

From the abstract of the link provided:
    "While people often choose “diet” or “light” products to lose weight, research studies suggest that artificial sweeteners may contribute to weight gain."
    This is all correlation in this study. Not one shred of causation.
    And also:
    Increasing evidence suggests that artificial sweeteners do not activate the food reward pathways in the same fashion as natural sweeteners.

Seems to dispute the notion that artificial sweeteners "trick" the brain into thinking it is sugar.

Bottom line is that correlation =/= causation. There are many reasons suggested for increased obesity on our culture. I think there is a correlation argument that people eat more becuase they think they are saving on calories be getting the diet soda!! But I can't prove it's a cause any more than this study proved artificial sweeteners are a cause!!

So, in essence, the two statements that I originally questioned; "Diet soda and artificial sweeteners cause our brains to crave sugar, so we eat more. Artificial sweeteners are one of the main reasons we are all FAT!!" Are indeed bogus based on the study you provided. Thank you very much!!

I am not an advocate of diet soda. I only consume it occaisionally myself, primarily because is in void nutritionally and I'm see no benefit to taking in what is basically chemical water.That being said, I think the fear mongering from statements like the one I questioned are beyond absurd and are bordering on orthorexia. If you lack the common sense to limit your consumption of these to some reasonable level, fear mongering isn't likely to change anything.

The connection between diet soda and weight gain has yet to show definitive cause and only loose correlation. So, why don't we all just stop the fear mongering and the making ignorant proclamtions like the one I questioned and stick with the facts.
  • keirajl
    keirajl Posts: 13 Member
    Options
    I would say that you probably didn't gain 3 lbs from the Diet Soda, it was probably from the meal eating out and water retention.

Having said that, soda (diet or not) is addictive. Perhaps those who drink tons of soda (for example me... who drinks about 3-4 Coke Zeros a day) have a more addictive personality than those who don't drink soda... and maybe they have a harder time combating cravings (I know I do!!).

Anyways, got to PubMed and type Artificial Sweeteners. A nice review article was just published a few weeks ago on all of this. I don't think it is free access, but here at the main points:

"The literature indicates that a relatively large intake of sugars, especially in the form of liquid sugar, can result in increased energy intake and body weight.

Sucrose and fructose intake has also been linked to the development of lipid dysregulation, visceral adiposity, hypertension, inflammation, metabolic syndrome, type-2 diabetes, and clinical coronary heart disease.

On the contrary, data from recent longer term intervention studies point toward a beneficial effect of artificial sweeteners on energy intake, body weight, liver fat, fasting and postprandial glycemia, insulinemia, and lipidemia compared with sugars.

Artificial sweeteners, especially in beverages, can be a useful aid to maintain reduced energy intake and body weight and decrease risk of type-2 diabetes and CVD compared with sugars.

Concerning beverages, artificial sweeteners are from a metabolically point of view a more healthy choice than sugar, but water is still the primary choice." Raben & Richelsen, 2012
  • Kim1731
    Kim1731 Posts: 11 Member
    Options
    Wow, what a bunch of (*)(*$#)@$(*#(&% response I just received.

I was just looking for some positive and accurate information
    When I post which is not very often I am looking for positive support and accurate information, which many of these comments were not. I am highly disappointed in most of the responses I received on this question, they were hurtful and negative, not only to my questions but to each other’s responses as well. It makes me feel like in the future this is not the right place to find support and information as I learn to make the lifestyle changes I need to make.

Those who answered with positive intent:

I have the same result when I eat at home on my diet plan. That is why I did not blame the eating out. Not to mention that my eating out lunch was a tossed green salad with grilled shrimp and no dressing on the side.

For the positive responses and information, thank you. I think those of you who responded positively gave me some great resources to look into. Body chemistry and how one's body is affected by things they eat are possible. All of my research from sites indicated with one of the following: .org .gov and .edu, give mixed information. Which is why I was looking to see if someone else experienced the same thing I did. It is most definitely related to how my body response to soda.

For those of you who reacted less than positive. Before my diagnosis last week and before I joined this site last week I lost 15 pounds by simply eliminating Diet Pepsi from my diet. Thank you very much!
  • Kim1731
    Options
    Thank you for the information, I will see If I can get the report if you can forward me the information so I can pull it up.

Thank You
  • laylaness
    laylaness Posts: 262 Member
    Options
    Oh, this again?
  • lizziebeth1028
    lizziebeth1028 Posts: 3,602 Member
    Options
    Diet soda and artificial sweeteners cause our brains to crave sugar, so we eat more. Artificial sweeteners are one of the main reasons we are all FAT!!

^^No.
  • alittlemopo
    alittlemopo Posts: 91 Member
    Options
    Well..there is a lot of sodium in soda so it may contribute to a gain in weight.

But it is an impossibility that it caused a gain in FAT

There is a huge difference between weight gain..and fat gain...and that is the reason i don't use a scale to measure success.

There are exactly 40 mg of sodium in a can of Coke Zero, hardly "a lot" of sodium.
  • CymruBiology
    Options
    It has no calories therefore it is impossible for it to make you gain weight directly.
    There may be something we've missed in diet fizzy drinks which make control weight gain, but I'm betting its something else.
  • etoiles_argentees
    etoiles_argentees Posts: 2,827 Member
    Options

When I post which is not very often I am looking for positive support and accurate information, which many of these comments were not. I am highly disappointed in most of the responses I received on this question, they were hurtful and negative, not only to my questions but to each other’s responses as well. It makes me feel like in the future this is not the right place to find support and information as I learn to make the lifestyle changes I need to make.

Those who answered with positive intent:

I have the same result when I eat at home on my diet plan. That is why I did not blame the eating out. Not to mention that my eating out lunch was a tossed green salad with grilled shrimp and no dressing on the side.

For the positive responses and information, thank you. I think those of you who responded positively gave me some great resources to look into. Body chemistry and how one's body is affected by things they eat are possible. All of my research from sites indicated with one of the following: .org .gov and .edu, give mixed information. Which is why I was looking to see if someone else experienced the same thing I did. It is most definitely related to how my body response to soda.

For those of you who reacted less than positive. Before my diagnosis last week and before I joined this site last week I lost 15 pounds by simply eliminating Diet Pepsi from my diet. Thank you very much!

You are gracious, and quite intelligent. Bestest for you! :)
  • CamillaBeaumont
    CamillaBeaumont Posts: 56 Member
    Options
    I used to be addicted to Diet Coke, I craved it! Gave it up about a year ago as a little aspartame experiment and switched to regular Pepsi. But I found I didn't even want pop, would often at the end of the day realise I hadn't had any so I just cut out all pop. Although I didn't lose any weight after I stopped drinking Diet Coke I felt a lot better. There is definitely something in the diet pop that can be addicting.
  • kennethmgreen
    kennethmgreen Posts: 1,759 Member
    Options

I understand that it's not fun to read ridicule. But I also think you may be setting yourself up for lots of disappointment if you insist on positive AND accurate information. If you really want to learn, I'd focus on the latter. If you just want to feel better, maybe just post your questions as a status update and only get feedback from your friends?

Remember what Thumper's mom said to Thumper:

correllation <> causation
    disagreement <> criticism
    stating facts <> negativity

(she used a Powerpoint presentation to convey unequal symbols and to hold Thumper's attention)
  • Kim1731
    Options
    I know what you mean about soda in general being addictive. I now feel better that I no longer drinking it.
  • mmapags
    mmapags Posts: 8,934 Member
    Options
    Wow, what a bunch of (*)(*$#)@$(*#(&amp;% response I just received.

I understand that it's not fun to read ridicule. But I also think you may be setting yourself up for lots of disappointment if you insist on positive AND accurate information. If you really want to learn, I'd focus on the latter. If you just want to feel better, maybe just post your questions as a status update and only get feedback from your friends?

Remember what Thumper's mom said to Thumper:

correllation <> causation
    disagreement <> criticism
    stating facts <> negativity

(she used a Powerpoint presentation to convey unequal symbols and to hold Thumper's attention)

Excellent point here!