Greek Yogurt

Options
Sweettart
Sweettart Posts: 1,331 Member
I have just started eating greek yogurt but I don't like the taste of the plain one so I get the one with fruit in it. They have 13g of sugar in them.

Do you know of any kinds of greek yogurt that is less than 13g of sugar?

Replies

• sweetiepaia
    sweetiepaia Posts: 68 Member
    Options
    why dont you just mix in stuff in the plain one, like honney, agave, fresh fruits, cinamon,
  • lre224
    lre224 Posts: 83
    Options
    sorry - I only eat the plain ones.
  • julesan902
    julesan902 Posts: 79 Member
    Options
    why dont you just mix in stuff in the plain one, like honney, agave, fresh fruits, cinamon,

This, Or, you just woman up and eat the plain. BFD that you don't like the taste. It's the healthiest, and you get used to it.
  • sarahcsmaller
    sarahcsmaller Posts: 68 Member
    Options
    Its an acquired taste. took me awhile but with fresh fruit a bit of granola and cinnamon delious :) and so good for. just think about that when your eating it!!
  • JayRod2519
    JayRod2519 Posts: 27 Member
    Options
    I agree..by itself, it sucks. But I buy frozen fruit (blueberries, blackberries, strawberries) w/ no sugars added. A cup of that, an 8 oz container of plain yogurt and (if needed) a teaspoon of sugar is about 225 calories, and is really good.
  • bellydancer124
    Options
    I mix fresh berries in mine (either blueberries or raspberries). The funny thing is, I don't like the taste of either of those types of berries plain, but I LOVE them in Greek Yogurt. :happy: I haven't tried it with plain though.....I buy vanilla.
  • lindseymaepatz
    lindseymaepatz Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    I had the same issue when I started eating greek yogurt. BUT I realized that it tastes much better if you buy a better brand. I was buying the generic stuff since it was cheaper... but if you buy Chobani, Fage or 365 from Whole Foods it tastes much better (and has half the sugar). I've also put fresh blueberries or mixed grapefruit into mine from time to time.
  • caseythirteen
    caseythirteen Posts: 956 Member
    Options
    All that sugar is exactly why I switched to plain. I mix in berries and granola an it's a great mid-morning or afternoon snack. It's an aquired taste though for sure. I would try and stick with the plain and play around with adding some things to make it taste better for you. Even a tsp. of vanilla extract will make it taste better but won't have the same sugar as the pre-flavored ones.
  • Madalinemerson
    Options
    I started by adding Agave to sweeten the taste. Now I like it plain with fresh or frozen fruit.
  • justicekenny
    Options
    there is endless things you can do to that boring plain greek yogurt .. add fruits, peanut butter, PB2, protein powder, add to your shakes, I even add the flavored "MIO" ... good stuff
  • caramelbaloney
    Options
    I mix in a spoonful of low sugar jam, which I think gives it the taste and consistency of the fruit flavors. If sugar is a concern, Smucker's low sugar jam has 5 g sugar and 25 calories per tablespoon (with no fake sugars), which is even less than its purely fruit-sweetened varieties (8 g sugar, 40 calories). A big tub of plain is cheaper, too.
  • CassandraMarie3
    CassandraMarie3 Posts: 147 Member
    Options
    I buy Fage 0% and a bag of organic frozen berries each week. I throw a little under a cup of yogurt into a tupperware, 1/2 cup of my frozen berries, and by the time I'm at work, I mix them all together and it's delish! Sometimes I add half a banana into the mix if I need it sweeter.
  • anemoneprose
    anemoneprose Posts: 1,805 Member
    Options
    I think of it as a savoury thing, like sour cream, and use it in soups, salads, dips, etc, even sandwich filling.
  • tlathen
    tlathen Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    I like adding Mio to mine. Cheery Mio in plain yogurt is all kinds of delicious!
  • ARMYDree
    Options
    I have a cup of Greek yogurt everyday. I use Mio's pomegranate water flavoring in mine with a little Truvia ( you can use splenda) and some slivered almonds. Sometimes I mixed in frozen berries. I did this because I did not want to buy flavored greek yogurt with all that sugar but, couldn't stand it alone because to me it tastes just like sour cream! PLEASE try this its so effing good.
  • jnoring
    jnoring Posts: 93
    Options
    I get the Chobani Champions, they have 12g. So a little less with 100 calories
  • xiamjackie
    xiamjackie Posts: 611 Member
    Options
    Dannon Light and Fit Greek has 7g of sugar in almost all flavors. I can't do the plain greek... BLEH. I've tried often, too. Just can't do it. I'd try out the Dannon Light and Fit Greek. Many good flavors :)
  • junipearl
    junipearl Posts: 326 Member
    Options
    there are some that come with honey in them instead of fruit :)
  • junipearl
    junipearl Posts: 326 Member
    Options
    also, plain greek yogurt + blackberries = heaven
  • JJ2787
    JJ2787 Posts: 7
    Options
    they have a protein Greek yogurt that is pretty good and that amount of sugar is from the fruit and you should be fine having it