Is something wrong with this....

2»

Replies

• SHBoss1673
    SHBoss1673 Posts: 7,161 Member
    Okay, I see what you both mean. I have already noticed that I am becoming full much sooner but still feel really hungry after workouts.

Boss, I agree, my thinking is off. Like right now, I'm saying to myself I have 593 calories left all day so I better exercise so I can still have an afternoon snack and dinner. I just don't know how to get out of this mindset! So far I haven't missed a day of working out so I don't know if I would go over on calories those days or if I would be very picky about what I ate...

Why does this have to be so hard?

I think I'm missing something, because I don't see a problem with what you're doing. When you're losing weight, you're eating at a deficit- that means you're not giving your body the calories it needs and wants to maintain its current weight. It's natural to want more food. There's nothing wrong with exercising to increase your calorie allotment. The mentality may seem off, but really it's the most logical thing to do. When you've been doing all of the wrong things for a long time, it takes time to adjust to a whole new way of life. Maybe eventually your thinking will turn from "I'm going to exercise so I can eat more" to "I worked out, so I need to eat more", but either way, you're getting the job done.

you basically just stated my point in different words. I'm not saying she is doing it wrong, I was merely cautioning her to always be conscious of why she is exercising. I.E. never come to expect the extra food that exercise allows you, rather see it as a requirement to be able to continue exercising (or do your darnedest to conform your thinking to that eventually). In this way we can slowly turn ourselves from being dependent on food for psychological health (comfort food as an example) to our being dependent on food for our physical health and exercise for our psychological health (or part of it at least).
  • melbhall
    melbhall Posts: 519
    I love all this input and feel better! I put in 48 minutes on the elliptical and walked 3.5 miles with my hubby and dogs earlier and came home and had a banana! When I workout I want to make better food choices. My next thought was someone suggested I eat more non processed foods. I know it sounds silly but are those foods that come in a box or can? I mean, what technically is considered to be processed foods? Are organic foods processed foods? I don't think I can cut them out completely because of convenience but I would like to make an effort to cook more healthy meals.

P.S. My husband suggested we eat Papa Johns because I worked out so hard today...I didn't fall for it!!!
  • questionablemethods
    questionablemethods Posts: 2,174 Member
    Basically, the more ingredients something has, the more processed it is--more or less. The closer something is to it's natural state, the better--at least in terms of having no empty calories. Convenience is a big thing for me too (although I don't have kids, so I'm sure it isn't quite the same). I try to cook a few things in advance so that I can easily take them with me for lunch. I grill up several chicken breasts, make a bunch of brown rice and steam a bunch of broccoli--enough for a couple of meals at a time. It doesn't take too long. I'm sure other people have a lot of better tips, though.
  • AndreaLee
    AndreaLee Posts: 23 Member
    Processed foods that may not be as healthy as fresh foods include:

•canned foods with lots of sodium
    •white breads and pastas made with refined white flour, which are not as healthy as those made with whole grains
    •packaged high-calorie snack foods, like chips and cheese snacks
    •high-fat convenience foods, like cans of ravioli
    •frozen fish sticks and frozen dinners
    •packaged cakes and cookies
    •boxed meal mixes
    •sugary breakfast cereals
    •processed meats
This discussion has been closed.