Today I feel like crying because I am SOOOOOOO fat

Options

Replies

• ailiel
    ailiel Posts: 18 Member
    Options
    I know what you mean about denial. I am very near to my goal right now, and I recently recovered a bunch of pictures from an old laptop that corrupted. When I looked back over the pictures, I nearly had a panic attack. It was brutal looking through the images of how fat I was. I felt terrified that I still look fat even now, that I am not seeing what everyone else is seeing, etc. I felt terrified of the weight coming back on, it felt like an inevitability looking at the pictures of myself at that size, just a year ago.

After talking it over with some people who love me I felt a lot better. They think I look great now, and healthy, and lovely-- but they also mentioned they thought I looked great before too, just bigger. Having a bigger body is not the most horrible nor the most ugly thing. We can all think of people we know who are overweight or even obese, do we think of them as disgusting, gross, ugly? NO! So why do we allow thoughts like that about ourselves?

It's good to want to make a change, there is always room for improvement. But just know that you are okay now, just the way you are, even if you aren't where you would ideally like to be. You can get there, but in the meantime, you are okay. Wipe your tears, let your determination fuel you, but don't let these self-defeating thoughts get you down. If you constantly tell yourself that you are ugly and not okay, there is no way that will motivate you to change anything, you will only end up feeling depressed and defeated. You MUST fight these thoughts.

Good luck!
  • UsedToBeHusky
    UsedToBeHusky Posts: 15,229 Member
    Options
    I had 100+ to lose at first. Now I'm just focusing on losing the next 10 lbs so that I can get to an overweight BMI. You have to take small steps. This time around... just start out logging food. Don't worry about creating a calorie deficit at first. Get in the habit of logging your food intake. Once you have that part nailed down, then you can try shaving off calories over time. Work on planning your daily food intake to fit your macros. Don't pressure yourself. You don't have to lose overnight. You have to lose over a lifetime so focus on making lifestyle changes that will be permanent. And do NOT beat yourself up if you slip up... we all do.

I understand about the soda. I love it too! I never cared much for Diet Coke, but I have learned to love Coke Zero. Try several different diet sodas until you find one that you l
  • duncnmollysmom
    Options
    Be brave. Making the decision for change is an ENORMOUS STEP in the right direction! Congratulations! And Congratulations on removing soda from your diet! That stuff is straight up poison for your body and will do nothing but trip you up, but it is a difficult monkey to shake so stay strong. YOU can DO this! :smile: I'm happy to have you add me if you'd like. I'll admit, I don't have as lofty a goal before me as you do, but my metabolic rate is 6 years older than yours. Here's the song I sing to myself on the treadmill.
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OORsz2d1H7s
  • fit4lifeUcan2
    fit4lifeUcan2 Posts: 1,458 Member
    Options
    I had 75 pounds to lose when I started. Its a long slow hard process. BUT you CAN do it! Hell if I can do it anyone can. I'm dealing with MS, Fibro, RA, herniated discs etc etc. Take it one day at a time. Thats all you can do. For today set a goal of going for a walk. TOmorrow plan for a longer walk or a bike ride. Do you have a dog? If so get that dog out for a walk. I'm sure he's put on weight as well. Lord knows my dog did. Now we're both slimming down. When the vet said my dog was a fatty I just said well guess your going to be going out for walks and slimming down with mommy. Find a work out buddy. I'm sure you know someone who wants to get into better shape as well. Set small goals and try not to think of the total amount you need to lose. Take it 5 pounds at a time. My next goal is to get into the 170's. Believe me it was easier to lose weight when I was over 200. The first 20 came off quickly. Now things are slowing down. I've been stuck in the 180's for almost 2 months now. I was losing 10 a month. Not anymore! But you keep going.
  • kenazfehu
    kenazfehu Posts: 1,188 Member
    Options
    No lie - it's going to require big changes.
    But you only have to make one at a time.
    Switching soda for water is a good place to start. You can have similar enjoyment by pouring sparkling water over slices of fruit; that's what I do when I need a change.
  • ronitabur
    ronitabur Posts: 178 Member
    Options
    You are in the right place. I am 5' 3" (almost) and I weighed 241 pounds at the start of my journey. Here are my rules - take what you like and leave the rest:

1. To thine own self be true (Always be honest to myself - to do this, I must log every piece of food that goes into my mouth when I want to successfully lose weight.) This is the #1 rule. If you adopt anything, it should be this. You can't sit and eat a bunch of crackers out of a box in front of the TV and when you're done, tell yourself, "I think that was probably about 10 crackers", when you didn't actually count them. Trust me on this one, this makes a huge difference in long term success.

2. Eat lots of fibrous food - I try to get 30 grams per day, as this helps fill me up and keep the pipes clean. (No, it does not give me gas.)

3. Avoid added sugar - 20 grams or less per day. I am a food addict and sugar is a binge food.

4. Avoid "white food" - white rice, enriched/white flour, potatoes, and any food made with these itemes as these are also binge foods. Opt for 100% whole grain, brown rice, etc...

5. Eat exercise calories which is also known as "eating back your calories". To do this, I bought a heart rate monitor with a calorie counter. Just as important as not overeating, it is just as important to not undereat - one must feed the body. If you don't have a heart rate monitor with a calorie counter built in, then a good conservative calorie burn is about 300 calories per hour on a moderate level of exercise.

6. Exercise a minimum of 3 days per week for an hour per day, but always shoot for 5-6 days per week. You will be glad you did. Try everything under the sun - machines like the treadmill and ellliptical can get boring after a while, in addition they do not reap the benefits of a well-rounded fitness program. Try weight training and classes that are held at your gym. When I first stared, I told my best friend, "I hate exercising. The thought of having to exercise for the rest of my life pisses me off!". But, here I am today 2.5 years later, still exercising and loving every minute of it.

7. 1-2 pounds of weight loss per week is perfect. Any more than that and your body will rebel. Don't even try it.

Good luck, friend me if you wish!.
    Roni
  • Pricanma13
    Pricanma13 Posts: 33 Member
    Options
    don't beat yourself up. Please add me if needed. Make small weekly goals, sometimes they are easier to complete first then being over whelmed with finished goal
  • sk2775
    sk2775 Posts: 703 Member
    Options
    Awh...don't be so hard on yourself. You are taking the right step in that you are finally ready to take control of your life and get to a place where you can eat healthy and live a more healthy lifestyle. Cutting out pop is a great start. When I started on this journey in March of 2011, I also was a huge lover of pop. I used to drink coke as it was water. The 1st step was to stop drinking it. It was really hard but day by day, it got better.....try replacing the pop with water or healthy fresh fruit juices.
    When I started, the only thing I need was to log in my food intake for the first couple of weeks. I was totally shocked to see how much calories I was taking in every day and slowly and steady, I started watching my portions. Then I started to walk. Slow and steady, I walked more each and every day.

Just take it one day at a time and don't be so hard on yourself. Feel free to add me as a friend.
  • saltqueen99
    Options
    Shucks, I have been busting my chops trying to lose ten pounds for so long, I now need to lose 20. I am 5'1" and weight 160 lbs and the government tells me I am obese. I fixed a salad for lunch yesterday and ended up with nearly 700 calories because I had DRESSING. I do feel your pain and the frustration. I have only been doing this for a few days but the support is great. I work out with a lady I have known for 25 years. She has been on this website for a year and has lost 34 lbs. It is slow and steady. I know we want it off NOW but experience proves otherwise. Please don't give up. I lost 2 lbs Saturday and gained 1 back yesterday. But it is still one pound. If I lose one pound a week, I am ahead. Take it one pound at a time. YOU CAN DO THIS. God Bless you and keep you strong.
  • ash8184
    ash8184 Posts: 701 Member
    Options
    I know how you feel! When I started on MFP in July of last year, I was right around 275/280. At my highest, I was 383, and at my lowest (now), I'm 179. You CAN do this. From someone who has been overweight/obese her whole life, I know this is possible for you and that you can do it! Hang in there - some days are easier than others, some days are a downright challenge, but when you can go in to a non plus-sized store to buy clothes, it will be SO worth it. Hugs :)
  • happysazzyz
    happysazzyz Posts: 11 Member
    Options
    I hear you loud and clear! And baby steps baby steps baby steps...cutting the soda is a great place to start..feel free to add me I have just started this journey myself :)
  • gauchogirl
    gauchogirl Posts: 467 Member
    Options
    Small goals really help keep motivation going. My goals are super small (lose 1 lb, lose 5 lbs, be in between 195-200, be under 200, lose 1% of my bodyweight...etc...) dozens of small goals, never very far from each other. I concentrate on that single goal until I get there. It's much easier to focus on 5 lbs than 50 or 100 or 150 (I started with about 120 lbs to lose.) I also wouldn't do too much too soon, if you honestly think that could be a deal breaker for you. Just concentrate on eliminating pop. Then when you've handled that, add one more thing in addition to the no pop rule (which should be routine by then)...Build up and you will see great progress!
  • shannonmci
    shannonmci Posts: 56 Member
    Options
    Okay, well you have taken the first step to better health! Congratulations on that!! As others have said, start small. Make a small change every week or so. In time, they will add up and you WILL get results. It will take a lot of patience and will, but you can do this! Please add me as a friend and I will motivate you during your journey!!
  • Afrikangirl
    Afrikangirl Posts: 54 Member
    Options
    Hey, I have been exiled from my homeland, a political refugee, a single mom and now a Ph.D student....losing this weight is just as hard as successfully navigating those intense life experiences. Which sounds crazy....but it takes a higher level of focus to successfully adapt and live through a major life change....losing the weight is a very real life change. It can only be done one moment at a time. Find some techniques that help you stay focused on the task at hand....MFP is an excellent start....log in everyday...several times a day...add HELPFUL friends. Crying rarely makes me feel better....taking action to improve the situation always leads to feeling and doing better.
  • hauer01
    hauer01 Posts: 523 Member
    Options
    You are Amazing! Thank you for sharing your story. You will be able to find a lot of support here. When I started, I couldn't look at the "big picture" at first. I started with small goals. First it was walks. Then I quit drinking all carbinated beverages. Soon, I was ready for a bigger challenge, I completed Jillian Michaels 30 Day Shred (which is quite an accomplishement for someone who never really worked out). I never reallly made it about the weight until recently. For the first time, I know what my ultimate goal is, before this, I didn't know where my stopping point would be, I couldn't even imagine it.

Everyone of us has felt like you are feeling! Everyone of us has struggled with this issue. This is why we are all here. I would be happy to support you in this journey if you would like. It would be my honor.
  • djc315
    djc315 Posts: 585 Member
    Options
    I have close to 100 to lose, and trust me, I often cry looking at myself or cry myself to sleep thinking about how fat I am. It is a terrible feeling but I'm ready to change and I've been at it for over a month. I can't look at it that I have 100 to lose, I am looking at it in 25 pound intervals. When I first started I decided to look at it in 10 pound intervals (I am just barely at the 10 pound loss mark), it just was a little easier to not get intimidated. When it comes to exercise...slowly work yourself up. You do NOT need to start off with an hour a day for 3 days a week. Do a 10 minute walk each day. As you get comfortable, add more minutes. I started walking around my apartment, it first took me 30 minutes, now I can do it in 10. I started C25K today, after a month of consistently walking. Don't dive in too hard and too fast at once or you will get discouraged and give up. You should feel your muscles achy after you walked/worked out, but if they still hurt the next day, go easier.

This isn't a race. You can do it.
  • tinamartinson
    tinamartinson Posts: 13 Member
    Options
    I think in smaller steps. When I started I needed to lose 60-70 lbs. But I set my first goal at 30ish. I've since bumped it another 15 as I've gotten closer to my original goal. And, I've had to break the habit of rewarding my successes with food. My latest big reward was new bras.

My wake-up call came seeing family photos from last Christmas. I didn't feel the person in the photo was the person I wanted to be or felt like on the inside. Since then, when I'm really discouraged or not motivated, I remember what I felt like seeing those photo proofs. It reminds me to keep going.

I have a few bad days a month but I own it, log it and then LET IT GO! The emotional burden of holding onto the regret of "falling off the wagon" is too heavy but no one can lift it off but me! So, let go of your embarrassment and self-hate. Own that you are where you are and that only YOU can take you somewhere else.

I also intentionally created a cheat day each week. I do 3 days of really following my Calorie goals and eating clean. Then I allow a cheat day so I can have ice cream or chips or whatever I've been craving. Then I do my last 3 days at being good but not super clean like the first 3. Then I start all over again. I've found that even on my cheat day I end up not cheating as much as I thought. That has been a huge bonus ... to realize maybe I CAN eat better even when allowed to "blow it".

Good luck! Forgive yourself and move forward!
  • yo_andi
    yo_andi Posts: 2,178 Member
    Options
    One step, one breath, one moment at a time.

:flowerforyou:
  • MissyJessy
    MissyJessy Posts: 1,279 Member
    Options
    they say cutting pop out of your diet will cut out about 33 000 calories a year :) thats a great place to start. Good luck <3
  • mzerica
    Options
    I read through some of the replies and you have received such great encouragement! I have 130lbs to lose and I keep falling off the wagon myself. We just gotta get back up! *HUGS*