Too Tired To Exercise Most Days.

Options
Hello All!

I Want To Exercise, I Really Do, But I Am Almost ALWAYS Too Tired After Work To Bother. :frown: (Maybe I'm Lazy, But I Swear I'm Tired). I Don't Know How To Get An Energy Boost To Try And Hit The Gym For An Hour A Day... I Get Home And All I Want To Do Is Lay Down And Rest. :yawn: Then That Turns Into Watching TV And Not Bothering To Get Up Anymore. :grumble: I Start Work At 6am And Am Home By 3pm So I Have The Whole Afternoon To Exercise... I Just Can't.

Any Suggestions, Ideas Or Energy Foods/Drinks I Can Try To Get The Ball Rolling? :embarassed:

Any Help Is Appreciated.

Thank You! :glasses:

Replies

• KristalandVi
    KristalandVi Posts: 44 Member
    Options
    The only way to get the ball rolling is to do it, in my opinion.

Instead of sitting down, go for a walk. Down the street and back is a good start. When you get to the end of the street, you may decide to go further. Then further. Maybe one day you'll decide to jog it instead. Maybe you'll decide you don't really need the gym - or maybe you'll find that moving around like that boosts your energy levels enough to get you to the gym.

Another trick is to have something citrus. It's been known to wake people up and get them moving. A small glass of orange juice (without sitting down) and then going out might be the kick you need.
  • shapeup6
    shapeup6 Posts: 46 Member
    Options
    I used to come home from work and just relax and watch TV because of the same reason - no energy. Once I started going to the gym instead I felt so much more energy after work! My trick isn't food or drink but rather put on your workout clothes as SOON as you step inside your house. Once you're dressed for the gym you have no excuse! Just go. Once you are there you will start to feel more energized. Maybe you should start with 30-40 minutes 3-4 days a week and work your way up to an hour. Too much too fast can be discouraging! Good luck!
  • mnstrpc
    mnstrpc Posts: 109
    Options
    You start work awfully early . . . are you maybe not getting enough sleep at night?
  • lustergirl
    lustergirl Posts: 123 Member
    Options
    can you try going before work instead?
  • deb3129
    deb3129 Posts: 1,294 Member
    Options
    If you just make yourself start, the energy will come. It is hard to get started, but it really does increase your energy level. I used to be a complete slug by the end of the day, but now I still have energy when I get off to go home and cook dinner for everyone, work out, and do whatever needs to be done.
  • candctaber
    Options
    BUMP
  • deksgrl
    deksgrl Posts: 7,237 Member
    Options
    How many calories a day do you eat?
  • Tammi140
    Tammi140 Posts: 47 Member
    Options
    I found that not going home after work, and going straight to the gym gives me the best results. It is great getting home and being done. I don't feel guilty for sitting around watching TV then.
  • p_s_a
    p_s_a Posts: 45
    Options
    Bring your workout clothes with you every day. Change at the gym. Workout immediately after work, don't even let yourself go home. It's amazing how much energy you'll have for the rest of the evening.
  • JennaM222
    JennaM222 Posts: 1,996 Member
    Options
    Work out 3-4 times starting tuesday next week. you will be amazed at...

1 - How much better you will sleep, with LESS sleep
    2 - How much more energey you will actually have
    3 - Seeing results will give you that extra boost to get your *kitten* to the gym

:) good luck!!
  • rainbowbow
    rainbowbow Posts: 7,490 Member
    Options
    Self Control. :)
  • MariaLivingFit
    MariaLivingFit Posts: 224 Member
    Options
    What if you do a specific program that runs for a few months? There are tons online and on dvds etc.

I'm doing Jamie Eason's LiveFit right now - it's a 12 week program with every single day planned out for you. I never want to miss a day so I don't mess up my schedule. I like having a program to work from and not have to plan my own workouts everyday. When that is over I am going to start Cathe Friedrich's XTRAIN, which I also think is 12 weeks.

Or maybe you could set a specific goal like training for a half marathon.
  • Capt_Apollo
    Capt_Apollo Posts: 9,026 Member
    Options

I Want To Exercise, I Really Do

no you don't
  • JennaM222
    JennaM222 Posts: 1,996 Member
    Options
    Bring your workout clothes with you every day. Change at the gym. Workout immediately after work, don't even let yourself go home. It's amazing how much energy you'll have for the rest of the evening.

Exactly what I do. IO change right after work and head tp the gym. THEN I go home and veg, becasue I earned it!
  • emih29
    emih29 Posts: 21 Member
    Options
    I have the same problem I am up at 5:45 and don't get home till almost 6 most days.
  • al369
    al369 Posts: 170 Member
    Options

This, exactly. If I went home, I'd be tempted to laze about. I take my workout clothes to work every day.
  • _Wits_
    _Wits_ Posts: 1,286 Member
    Options
    I use the same excuse.

Just do it. Amazing how energized you feel afterwards when just a hour earlier, you claimed to be too tired.
  • sammyjo0402
    sammyjo0402 Posts: 106 Member
    Options
    Make sure you're eating well too... it may be hard when you work to eat at consistent times but try to keep it as consistent as possible. Eating roughly the same amount for each meal will help too. And a good meal with some good carbs at least an hour and a half or so before you work out should help alot too.. Sometimes when I'm not feeling well or am tired I'll just have a piece of bread with a tbsp. of peanut butter.. or half that if 'm only a little tired... and a 1/4 of a banana.
  • EccentricDad
    EccentricDad Posts: 875 Member
    Options
    Hello All!

I Want To Exercise, I Really Do, But I Am Almost ALWAYS Too Tired After Work To Bother. :frown: (Maybe I'm Lazy, But I Swear I'm Tired). I Don't Know How To Get An Energy Boost To Try And Hit The Gym For An Hour A Day... I Get Home And All I Want To Do Is Lay Down And Rest. :yawn: Then That Turns Into Watching TV And Not Bothering To Get Up Anymore. :grumble: I Start Work At 6am And Am Home By 3pm So I Have The Whole Afternoon To Exercise... I Just Can't.

Any Suggestions, Ideas Or Energy Foods/Drinks I Can Try To Get The Ball Rolling? :embarassed:

Any Help Is Appreciated.

Thank You! :glasses:

Eat.
    The only reason to be low in energy by the time you get home (besides depression and other health issues) is that you didn't eat enough or the right foods.

You could also be lethargic from a sugar/caffeine crash. I wouldn't recommend taking more sugar/caffeine to fix it either. Just get your body used to a diet higher in nutrition and you will have different results.
  • mndamon
    mndamon Posts: 547 Member
    Options

I Want To Exercise, I Really Do

no you don't

Exactly what I was thinking.