How much weight did you lose before people noticed?

Options

Replies

• BiscuitQueen
    Options
    Depends on your frame, at least 10 lbs.
  • mphlab
    mphlab Posts: 187 Member
    Options
    I'm 5'5 started at 235 - 2 people that I do not see often said something at about 30 pounds gone.
  • zyxst
    zyxst Posts: 9,136 Member
    Options
    The first comment was after 6 months at 45# lost from a friend's wife I'd just met at Xmas. My husband is getting asked about me from his co-workers now (74# down).

I think people notice faster the more your body shape changes. I look exactly the same at 236# as I did at 313#, just not as wide. I'm 5'2" if that matters.
  • krystina_letitia9
    krystina_letitia9 Posts: 697 Member
    Options
    I'm 5'1" and it took about 10lbs. Now I've lost about 20, but haven't lost since the beginning to mid summer (softball injury - couldn't exercise and I ended up maintaining rather than losing!), and people are noticing NOW and asking if I've lost, even though they've seen me this whole time. Funny.
  • spiraldonut
    Options
    While no one else has told me, my mother mentioned I 'looked a little heavier' after I gained 8 pounds since April at 5'2. Makes me wonder if other people noticed I had gained weight or not. I think it was only visible if I wore tight clothes. I doubt anyone will notice when I lose it (halfway there!) though since I will just be returning to my previous weight. (Was 109, went up to 117, currently 113).
  • WendyTerry420
    WendyTerry420 Posts: 13,274 Member
    Options

Now I don't care if people do or don't notice, every few weeks I'll take a look in the mirror and see changes and that makes me happy :smile:

This is me too! I am honestly doing this for me, and I have never been the type of person that gave a damn about how others think of me.
  • KeepGoingRhonda
    KeepGoingRhonda Posts: 527 Member
    Options
    probably around 30 pounds lost....
  • Melroxsox
    Melroxsox Posts: 1,040 Member
    Options
    im short also5'4". and i seriously didnt get any comments until i was about 50 lbs down....i also have fairly non supportive people in my life...
  • charlena48
    charlena48 Posts: 192 Member
    Options
    20 or so lbs. - I'm 5'1". I was amazed at how long it took people to realize it. I'm at 27 lbs. now and someone just asked me over the weekend if I had lost some weight! It's very noticable - especially on short people.
  • RobfromLakewood
    Options
    Some people noticed about 15 pounds or so, but after 20-25 they really noticed. I saw a friend I hadn't seen in about a year last week and she did a complete double take.
  • MommaKit79
    Options
    I am at 33 lbs lost...people really started to noticed about 25lbs. BUT, I have been wearing the same clothes so, it is hidden a bit. It REALLY got noticable when I bought a new pair of jeans a size smaller!! :-)

Yes, the people that see me everyday dont really say as much as the people I dont see as often. BUT, my husband DID tell me the other day that I am doing AWESOME so, I guess it is really getting noticable!!
  • wimeezer
    wimeezer Posts: 404 Member
    Options
    Still waiting. I'm 5'10" and started at 440; knew it would be awhile before it was visible but geez :) My immediate circle are aware of my progress and are incredibly supportive.

I'm doing this for me and not for the recognition. The scale, clothes (2 sizes) and the way I feel are telling me.
  • stephienmatt
    stephienmatt Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    I have only lost a few pound at the moment so wouldnt be noticed anyway, but wanted to reply to those of you that say people arent commenting.

Whilst ths is so frustratingm it could be politeness or simply the fact that the people you say regularly get used to you as you are and as the changes are subtle the forget what you looked like originally, rather than saying youve lost weight, they might be commenting on how you look good or they like your clothes etc,....comments you probably didnt get before.

I know from previous experience (I lost over three stone after having my Little girl only to recently regain a stone :( ) that people just start to think you look generally better rather than it be obvious youve lost weight x
  • BruhManFif
    BruhManFif Posts: 136 Member
    Options
    I'm 5'10", started at 295. 20lbs down (I started losing before joining MFP) but people started noticing around 12lbs or so... I didn't see it for myself until this week when I was browsing through some pictures from earlier this year...
  • Lunnunis
    Lunnunis Posts: 71 Member
    Options
    I'd been 220 for years and went to 206 (now 202). No one noticed until one day I wore something different to work (skirt instead of trousers). Just the one person mentioned it, but it was nice. Loss since then has been slower and I don't think most people will realise until I've lost 28lbs or so.
  • KeithChanning
    KeithChanning Posts: 214 Member
    Options
    I wonder whether, sometimes, people don't notice we are thinner because they didn't really notice that we were fatter. Perhaps they see the peson, rather than the body shape.
  • TwtyMami35
    Options
    I am 5'6" and started the journey around 280lbs (I just had my second daughter). When I dropped to 220 lbs, people noticed the weightloss. Because of the notices and nice comments, I settled at this weight for a moment. I decided to start the journey again and when I reached 195, that's when they REALLY noticed. I am now fluctuating between 165 and 160lbs. My overall goal is to reach 145-150lbs.
  • BruhManFif
    BruhManFif Posts: 136 Member
    Options
    I wonder whether, sometimes, people don't notice we are thinner because they didn't really notice that we were fatter. Perhaps they see the peson, rather than the body shape.

I think there's some validity in this, depending on who the person is.
  • jenistar
    jenistar Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    I'm 5'4'' and people at work have started noticing my 10 lb weight loss. I can't wait until I can fit into my old clothes again!
  • ACepero79
    ACepero79 Posts: 711 Member
    Options
    At the most, I weighed 205 lbs. People (family, friends, and co-workers) started to notice after I had lost the first 15 lbs.