How did you stop caffeine?

Options

Replies

• Off10h8ed
    Off10h8ed Posts: 282 Member
    Options
    I am a coffee drinker. I use to drink it from the time I got up (3am) until the time I went to bed (11pm).
    I still drink coffee but limit myself to a max of 2- 24 oz cups. Generally I end up with just one. This is good for me because I generally would do 10-12 of these 24 oz cups. Yes, I have a 42 cup peculator and I still use it!

My best advice to you would be to slowly pull yourself off. I got terrible headaches from caffeine withdrawal when I tried to knock it down all in one day. I ended up having to slowly replace my cups of coffee with water, adding more each week until I was down to where I am at. Caffeine is a drug and like all other drugs, it is best to ween slowly and not just abruptly stop.
  • arosethorn
    arosethorn Posts: 41 Member
    Options
    I had to wean myself off. First, I quit drinking regular pop. Then I started limiting myself to either one cup of coffee or one diet coke a day. Then I went to every other day. Now, I only drink it on occasion. Also take lots of B vitamins (B6 and B12). They really boost your energy!
  • PlunderBunneh
    PlunderBunneh Posts: 1,705 Member
    Options
    Wean off and expect crankiness and headaches.
    We're pretty hardcore caffeine addicts. About every six months, husband goes through a non-dependency phase and will quit caffeine cold turkey. Since he self-medicated his ADD with caffeine (works), along with withdrawal headaches and crankiness, I cannot stand to be around him. It's hell on our marriage.
    I've slowly knocked down the amount I take (trying to cut out the JetAlerts all together, down from 2 a day to maybe 1 once or twice a week when I don't have time to make coffee).
  • KittieLea
    KittieLea Posts: 1,156 Member
    Options
    I just did it cold turkey. I was surprised because I didn't get any headaches or anything, but I did feel depressed. I was off caffeine for 2 weeks, felt lame, and started drinking it again LOL. I'm not myself without my coffee!
  • pudgeylou
    pudgeylou Posts: 202 Member
    Options
    I stopped drinking caffeine about a month ago. I quit cold turkey, which may not have been the best idea. I had a horrible headache for 4 days and was still tired and cranky for another 5 days at least. Now I have found that I have more energy and it is easier for me to get up in the mornings without the caffeine. It was the best thing I ever did. I highly recommend getting away from caffeine if you can. You may want to slowly reduce the amount you drink though because quitting all at once can have some horrible side effects.
  • californiagirl2012
    californiagirl2012 Posts: 2,625 Member
    Options
    I'm currently trying to stop caffeine completely and I was wondering if anyone had any tips on how to do this without feeling like COMPLETE crap. I am already expecting to feel somewhat crappy, but I don't want to be super-cranky lol

I taper it off slowly. I switch from coffee to black tea a few days, then decaf tea with a quick dunk with the black tea a few days or possibly green tea which is less caffeine. The first week is the hardest, the 2nd week you still feel kind if tired, then after that it's amazing how good you feel.
  • freckles_cmj
    freckles_cmj Posts: 205 Member
    Options
    I have done it cold turkey before but had terrible headaches. Being home with 2 little kids I wanted to spare myself the headaches...so I am tapering myself off. I used to drink countless cans of diet soda, and large ice tea or coffee daily. I am now down to one can of diet coke in the morning, nd water or flavored seltzer the rest of the day. I hope to be free of it by next week!
  • needernt
    needernt Posts: 675 Member
    Options
    Why you want to stop coffee? what is wrong with it? It is full of anti oxidant and increases you metabolism
  • jlapey
    jlapey Posts: 1,850 Member
    Options
    I weened myself off of coffee by mixing it a little at a time with Teeccino. It's a completely herbal coffee substitute, no caffeine, no acid. Can be bought at WholeFoods or on the internet at http://teeccino.com/

It is available in tea bags or grounds for your coffeepot just like coffee.

edited to say: French Roast is my favorite as it is the closest to unflavored coffee.
  • TR0berts
    TR0berts Posts: 7,739 Member
    Options
    I used to drink 1-2 cups of coffee plus one 12oz can of soda a day - sometimes more, if I thought I "needed" it. I ditched all the soda and the coffee - although I do usually drink one cup at Sunday breakfast with my wife - and replaced my caffeine needs with one cup of green tea in the morning. Supposedly, teas typically have about half as much caffeine per cup than coffee. Most days, I don't have any problems. I'll probably switch to a decaf green tea when my current supply runs out, keeping a small stash of regular "just in case." Occasionally, I have a soda, but that's like once a week. Hey - I like the flavor - so it's just a treat.

If you really just like the taste of coffee, you can try decaf, or maybe mixing decaf and regular, so you lower your caffeine intake.
  • Espressocycle
    Espressocycle Posts: 2,245 Member
    Options
    Why on earth would you do such a thing? Caffeine is good for you.
  • Kebby83
    Kebby83 Posts: 232 Member
    Options
    A coffee a day keeps the B**** at bay.
  • orangesmartie
    orangesmartie Posts: 1,870 Member
    Options
    I'm afraid I just stopped. No more fizzy juice or caffeinated tea (i didn't drink coffee anyway). I did have a headache for about 4 days, but fine after that. I switched to drinking redbush tea.

I sometimes still miss that first strong cuppa of the day, but i get over it.
  • emily2tx
    Options
    I have been an off and on caffeine drinker for years. Two years ago (maybe more) I completely cut it out. I hate the headaches the next day and I feel really bad after and during my workouts. I feel amazing now! My husband still drinks coffee and one soda a day - and I have way more energy than he does! I save a ton of money as well! On occasion I will have a sip of his ice tea or I make my own decaf ice tea. Also, there are decaf sodas out there that you can substitute in your need for a soda. I will do this on occasion so I won't have the headaches from the withdrawal. Also so I remember how bad my body feels drinking it. Even decaf soda messes with me.
  • AmberJo1984
    AmberJo1984 Posts: 1,067 Member
    Options
    I don't have any ideas on how to stop the headaches. For me, though, I just cut out caffein cold turkey when I was diagnosed as diabetic. I do have an occasional small piece of chocolate now... but, I have no coffee, no sodas... nothing like that.
  • IronSmasher
    IronSmasher Posts: 3,908 Member
    Options
    I just stopped cold turkey. Weaning is just torture and delays the process.
  • gramanana
    gramanana Posts: 762 Member
    Options
    Doctor took me off caffeine many years ago because of a minor heart condition. I went cold turkey from the Pepsi that I loved and the mocha coffees at the bookstore. I was sick with headaches and sniffles for about 3 months. Now I drink decaf and diet caffeine-free Pepsi, green and herbal teas and I'm just fine. Gotta tell ya, it was a long road to get here. I'm not sure it's worth going off caffeine if you really don't have to. Good luck.:bigsmile:
  • evereadysmile
    Options
    I stopped cold turkey. It didn't really occur to me at the time to taper off but I wish I'd done that. 4 days of the worst headaches imaginable.
  • wwmorrow
    wwmorrow Posts: 118 Member
    Options
    I stopped caffeine cold turkey when I got pregnant with my first child...16 years ago! I normally only drink water...an occasional Sprite. I never missed the caffeine. Now, if I have the flu or get really sick I can drink a Coke and it will really pep me up. I might have one or two a year...
  • lizziebeth1028
    lizziebeth1028 Posts: 3,602 Member
    Options
    I'm currently trying to stop caffeine completely and I was wondering if anyone had any tips on how to do this without feeling like COMPLETE crap. I am already expecting to feel somewhat crappy, but I don't want to be super-cranky lol

I could never give up my morning cup of coffee:heart: If you are doing it for health reasons at the advice of the Doctor I wish you success!!!! If you are doing it for weight loss.....it's not necessary to torture yourself like that unless you were downing multiple lattes a day along with lot's of soda. Then yea you should cut down. Best wishes!