Evening Snacks?

Options
I have a terrible sweet tooth, and often feel like the day is not 'done' until I've had something sweet after dinner.

I'm trying to eat all of my exercise calories back in order to net 1200 at the end of the day, and I've found that I usually have 100-150 calories left over after I plan all of my meals, snacks, post-workout meals. My go-to is just to make a sweet dessert at the end of the day, I like ChocolateCoveredKatie.com single-serving muffins/cakes that are vegan because they are low-cal and fit well there.

But, I am trying to get myself out of this habit and not have a cake or muffin at the end of the day—instead replace it with something with protein, like maybe sliced fruit and a little whipped cream or almonds and dried fruit maybe? Any other ideas for a sweet treat evening snack that is not so sugar- and carb-filled?

Replies

• NataBost
    NataBost Posts: 418 Member
    Options
    I don't know about the carb count, but I love celery sticks with natural peanut butter and about a tablespoon of Craisins. Red ants on a log!
  • SideSteel
    SideSteel Posts: 11,068 Member
    Options
    Make a protein powder-based ice cream.

Example:

2c applesauce (frozen, unsweetened --- freeze it flat in a plastic bag)
    5 scoops ON Vanilla whey protein
    4-6 tbsp splenda
    1c whole milk
    1 to 2 tsp guar gum
    dash cinnamon
    could probably add a few drops of vanilla extract too.

Combine in a bowl and mix with a high speed mixer. Start it on low until the applesauce smooths out a bit, then crank it and leave it for a good 5 minutes. It will fluff up and get huge.

Freeze in separate containers.

Microwave for about 15-20s before eating.

This template works with several other ingredients but you wil need a frozen fruit base typically. Pumpkin is another good one.
  • srark
    srark Posts: 2
    Options
    I also have a sweet tooth. I love Fiber One brownies - only 90 calories plus I get some fiber content.
    Also, the Skinny Cow chocolates take care of my cravings as well.
  • MFPBrandy
    MFPBrandy Posts: 564 Member
    Options

Example:

4-6 tbsp splenda
    1c whole milk
    1 to 2 tsp guar gum
    dash cinnamon

Combine in a bowl and mix with a high speed mixer. Start it on low until the applesauce smooths out a bit, then crank it and leave it for a good 5 minutes. It will fluff up and get huge.

This template works with several other ingredients but you wil need a frozen fruit base typically. Pumpkin is another good one.
    ^This. I have an ice-cream maker and it's SO easy to make a low-cal treat with fresh ingredients. And sometimes, if my protein count is a little low for the day, I'll throw a scoop of protein powder in there, or use greek yogurt as the base instead of almond milk.
  • sarahisme18
    sarahisme18 Posts: 574 Member
    Options

Example:

4-6 tbsp splenda
    1c whole milk
    1 to 2 tsp guar gum
    dash cinnamon

Oh, this is GREAT! I've made frozen banana ice cream, but I don't really like it after it's been in the freezer a few days, and the bananas are not my favorite. Totally going to try this! Thanks!
  • auntdeedee87
    auntdeedee87 Posts: 706 Member
    Options
    I usually have some sugar free jello on hand.
  • sarahisme18
    Options
    I usually have some sugar free jello on hand.

Oh, I've seen lots of members on here doing that! I HATE that stuff. Blegh!! lol :)
  • melliebelly77
    Options
    Vita-Tops are BOMB!
  • minimaggie
    minimaggie Posts: 224 Member
    Options
    This has been my goto evening snack of late:

Number of servings

Pumpkin Cheesecake Pudding

This makes 2 big servings, but you could also split it into 4 servings and place it into a nut based mini crust for a mini pie.

Ingredients
    Almond Breeze 40 Cal - Original Unsweetened Almond Milk, 8 oz
    Jello - Sugar Free Fat Free Cheesecake Pudding Mix (Dry Mix), 1 Package
    Kroger - 100% Pure Canned Pumpkin, 1 cup (120g)
    Mccormick - Pumpkin Pie Spice, 1 tsp

Mix almond milk, pudding mix and spice together until combined and thick, about 2 minutes with hand blender. Add pumpkin and mix until well blended. Split into two servings eat one and refridgerate the other.

Per Serving:
    Calories 120
    Carbs 24
    Fat 2
    Sat Fat 0
    Protein 3
    Fiber 4
  • sarahisme18
    Options
    This has been my goto evening snack of late:

Number of servings

Pumpkin Cheesecake Pudding

This makes 2 big servings, but you could also split it into 4 servings and place it into a nut based mini crust for a mini pie.

Ingredients
    Almond Breeze 40 Cal - Original Unsweetened Almond Milk, 8 oz
    Jello - Sugar Free Fat Free Cheesecake Pudding Mix (Dry Mix), 1 Package
    Kroger - 100% Pure Canned Pumpkin, 1 cup (120g)
    Mccormick - Pumpkin Pie Spice, 1 tsp

Mix almond milk, pudding mix and spice together until combined and thick, about 2 minutes with hand blender. Add pumpkin and mix until well blended. Split into two servings eat one and refridgerate the other.

Per Serving:
    Calories 120
    Carbs 24
    Fat 2
    Sat Fat 0
    Protein 3
    Fiber 4

This is great! But, I'm not too keen on using the sugar-free, fat free jello mix with it.... trying to stay away from stuff like that since it is full of sugar subs and other things to make up for the sugar and fat. Might take a look at it and think of a whole-food alternative for that part!
  • testease
    testease Posts: 220
    Options
    I just find a protein that has a really good taste and consistency. Something like a casein protein, use some almond milk make a thick shake. Satisfies my sweet tooth.

During the day i use the cheap, poor tasting protein, save the good stuff for a night time snack.
  • sarahisme18
    Options
    I just find a protein that has a really good taste and consistency. Something like a casein protein, use some almond milk make a thick shake. Satisfies my sweet tooth.

During the day i use the cheap, poor tasting protein, save the good stuff for a night time snack.

That's a good idea—especially because I was relying on like, swiss miss hot chocolate mixes!!! Ha. Could totally make a nice hot cocoa with protein out of something like that. :)
  • mrguse
    mrguse Posts: 17 Member
    Options
    My wife and I sit down every night and have a bowl of ice cream. 1 serving, mind you, not a tub (that's 1/2 cup of ice cream). It's in no way filling, but also isn't that bad for you and helps curb my sweet tooth during the day because I know that the ice cream is coming.

I'm sure someone here will tell me how horrible that is, but the 70 lbs I've lost tells me you can do it and still lose weight.

ONE SERVING!
  • sarahisme18
    Options
    My wife and I sit down every night and have a bowl of ice cream. 1 serving, mind you, not a tub (that's 1/2 cup of ice cream). It's in no way filling, but also isn't that bad for you and helps curb my sweet tooth during the day because I know that the ice cream is coming.

I'm sure someone here will tell me how horrible that is, but the 70 lbs I've lost tells me you can do it and still lose weight.

ONE SERVING!

Haha :) Moderation IS key! Maybe I shouldn't worry so much about allowing myself something sweet at the end of the day, in moderation.
  • splashwags
    splashwags Posts: 262 Member
    Options
    1/4 c/ 1/2 c Ricotta (your choice Part skim or whole) with some combination of the below:

Extracts : i.e. Vanilla, Almond ...
    Lemon Rind
    Cocoa Powder
    mini-chocolate chips
    Almonds
  • wahmx3
    wahmx3 Posts: 646 Member
    Options
    I often have a package of thinsations later in the evening. 100 calories so the temptation to have just one more.... isn't there. Most of us do not intend to give up all treats forever, include your treat in your daily calories and enjoy every bite!
  • sarahisme18
    Options
    1/4 c/ 1/2 c Ricotta (your choice Part skim or whole) with some combination of the below:

Extracts : i.e. Vanilla, Almond ...
    Lemon Rind
    Cocoa Powder
    mini-chocolate chips
    Almonds

Oh, nice idea!
    I often have a package of thinsations later in the evening. 100 calories so the temptation to have just one more.... isn't there. Most of us do not intend to give up all treats forever, include your treat in your daily calories and enjoy every bite!

True, true!! :)
  • HypersonicFitNess
    HypersonicFitNess Posts: 1,219 Member
    Options
    How about raw fudge on banana ice cream? It's SUPER yummy and haha...it's actually good for you! I know it looks scary but BELIEVE ME, it's super YUM!!!

Fudge (makes 10-12 servings):

6 medium size ripe avocados
    2 cups raw agave syrup
    1 1/2 cups unsweetened raw carob powder (or use cocoa powder)
    1 1/2 cups cold water
    2 teaspoons vanilla extract

Combine all in a food processor or blender and process until smooth and thick, with a pudding consistency. Serve with toppings or over Banana "ice cream"

Banana "Ice Cream"

2 ripe bananas - Freeze (without the peel)

Place frozen bananas in a blender or food processor. Blend/process until smooth, adding a small amount of water if necessary to achieve desired consistency.
  • FluffyDogsRule
    FluffyDogsRule Posts: 366 Member
    Options
    the yasso frozen greek yogurt bars do the trick for me...6 grams protein (i know, not much) and 70 calories. they are really thick so take a little while to eat. yum!!
  • makemewannadie
    makemewannadie Posts: 401 Member
    Options
    I always have a banana a day (: i love peaches and raspberries/blackberries too! Or dark chocolate covered rice cakes, they always feel very desert-y to me so one or two is great after dinner.