Am I petty or do I have a right to say something?

Options
I just want to know if I am being petty. I work at a very small CPA firm. 2 Parters (bosses), 2 employees (me and this dude) and a part time receptionist. We are allowed 40 hours Vacation, 40 hours "Comp Time" (from the non-paid OT we work in tax season), and 40 hours sick. After 5 years you get a third week vacation. In the 6 years I have been here I have never gone over my allotted time off. The other dude working here has only been here 3 years. He went over by 40 hours last year and the company just kinda "wrote it off". In my opinion I had to work here 5 years to earn that additional week. Now this year is almost over and he is once again over more than 40 hours and its only October. He has no major medical problems. He does have a child but so do I (and in most cases it's the mother that has to deal with the sick babies). He comes in late and leaves early all the time because he is working on his Masters but the 2 years I spent getting my Masters I didn't go over my time. I just feel it is very unfair that he get all this extra PTO that I don't get and I have been here 3 years longer than him. Is there anything I could say to my bosses? Should I even say anything? Am I just being petty?

Also our raises are always the same % for both of us, so it's not like I'm being rewarded for my dedication to my job in a financial way.

Replies

• fcp1234
    fcp1234 Posts: 1,098 Member
    Options
    I was gonna say "yes you are pretty", but then realized I read that wrong.

Always ask for what you want, nobody will give you anything just because.
    But, I would not even mention the other person. Just talk about how hard you work and what you think you deserve.

Good luck, and yes you are very pretty !!
  • corn63
    corn63 Posts: 1,580 Member
    Options
    Anything you say in reference to the amount of work that you do versus him, time you put in, his leaving early, his absence etc. is going to come off petty. It's going to come across like a child screaming "it's NOT fair!!!"

However, I would point out my accomplishments, but never compare against someone else. It does come across petty.
  • dumbbanana
    Options
    Life isn't fair sometimes. If you like your job don't say anything. Just keep doing what you're doing and suck it up when you are not rewarded for doing what you're supposed to.
  • 126siany
    126siany Posts: 1,386 Member
    Options
    Anything you say in reference to the amount of work that you do versus him, time you put in, his leaving early, his absence etc. is going to come off petty. It's going to come across like a child screaming "it's NOT fair!!!"

However, I would point out my accomplishments, but never compare against someone else. It does come across petty.

I agree with this. Complaining is not the way to go. Documenting all your accomplishments and attendance, including the times you carried the office on your own, and then scheduling a meeting with your boss to make a case for a higher raise is the better path. If you can schedule this meeting before salary planning is conducted, even better. You can't wait until raises have already been budgeted/decided (which generally happens months ahead of your actual review and notification of your raise).
  • hamiltonba
    hamiltonba Posts: 474 Member
    Options
    You could be taking more time off too, you choose not to.
  • givenshl
    Options
    Complaining on your co-worker is so petty. It would be different if you was his supervisor than you could address him about taking to much PTO but your not, leave it up to his Boss. If the Boss don't have a problem with it than it should not concern you. Going in to say something about this could set you up for failure and back fire.

On the other hand if you are looking for more on your check than meet with your Boss on that.
  • ewhitehurst1
    Options

I have thought about this! I may catch the "flu" next month. :wink:
  • Dub_D
    Dub_D Posts: 1,760 Member
    Options
    Just quit.
  • ewhitehurst1
    Options

I agree with this. Complaining is not the way to go. Documenting all your accomplishments and attendance, including the times you carried the office on your own, and then scheduling a meeting with your boss to make a case for a higher raise is the better path. If you can schedule this meeting before salary planning is conducted, even better. You can't wait until raises have already been budgeted/decided (which generally happens months ahead of your actual review and notification of your raise).

Great advice, thank you!

I have been interviewing at another firm so hopefully this won't even matter in a few months. It's just that the guy happened to be out again today and it had me fired up this morning.
  • azzkikin
    azzkikin Posts: 458 Member
    Options
    Don't sweat the petty things; Just pet the sweaty things.
  • MyPsalm63
    MyPsalm63 Posts: 303
    Options
    I wouldn't say anything. Every situation is different. You may not know the whole story. You can take time off too. I would not lie about having the flu though. I would just be honest and get time off.
  • coachblt
    coachblt Posts: 1,090
    Options
    You are allowed overage but you aren't taking it? Whose fault is that?

Since we don't know the depth of the situation, who's to say that his pay isn't being deducted for his extra leave?

I'm all for equal treatment for employees, but you shouldn't be complaining about not using your leave if you aren't using your leave. Sure he takes more leave than he should but that's between his boss(es) and him. You can bring this all up to your bosses, but you'd better make sure you come in with concerns and not complaints. You don't know his circumstance or agreement with his bosses. That's between them and him.

If all of this is to the boiling point, it's time you find yourself another position.
  • ewhitehurst1
    Options
    You are allowed overage but you aren't taking it? Whose fault is that?

Since we don't know the depth of the situation, who's to say that his pay isn't being deducted for his extra leave?

If all of this is to the boiling point, it's time you find yourself another position.

We are not allowed to just take extra time off - thats why we have a vacation "policy". Me and him are pretty close since we are the only two employees. I know it's not deducted from his pay. We discuss our pay with each other and anything else. He seriously comes in late and leaves early all the time. I'm just curious if I should ask for extra time off or ask for a better raise or just drop the whole situation.
  • DrMAvDPhD
    DrMAvDPhD Posts: 2,097 Member
    Options
    I say.... Ask for more PTO. Don't throw this guy under the bus, but say something like "Dude gets xx hours off and I've been here for longer, so I think I've earned a bit more time." And then, take it.
  • robmcd88
    robmcd88 Posts: 85 Member
    Options

This… agreed., and don’t let it stress you.
  • WinnerVictorious
    WinnerVictorious Posts: 4,735 Member
    Options
    I just want to know if I am being petty. I work at a very small CPA firm. 2 Parters (bosses), 2 employees (me and this dude) and a part time receptionist. We are allowed 40 hours Vacation, 40 hours "Comp Time" (from the non-paid OT we work in tax season), and 40 hours sick. After 5 years you get a third week vacation. In the 6 years I have been here I have never gone over my allotted time off. The other dude working here has only been here 3 years. He went over by 40 hours last year and the company just kinda "wrote it off". In my opinion I had to work here 5 years to earn that additional week. Now this year is almost over and he is once again over more than 40 hours and its only October. He has no major medical problems. He does have a child but so do I (and in most cases it's the mother that has to deal with the sick babies). He comes in late and leaves early all the time because he is working on his Masters but the 2 years I spent getting my Masters I didn't go over my time. I just feel it is very unfair that he get all this extra PTO that I don't get and I have been here 3 years longer than him. Is there anything I could say to my bosses? Should I even say anything? Am I just being petty?

Also our raises are always the same % for both of us, so it's not like I'm being rewarded for my dedication to my job in a financial way.

are you sure he's getting paid for the extra time off? usually a company will just not pay an employee for the time beyond their cumulative vacation time.

it's a small office. before you get too upset, ask one of the partners what the policy is and whether it applies to all employees equally. if the partner says so, then bring up the case of your co-worker. however, this could really cause a problem for you there. your co-worker could resent you for meddling in his business, and the partner could lower their opinion of you for involving yourself in a private matter that doesn't involve you... so tread lightly and at your own risk.
  • TheRoadDog
    TheRoadDog Posts: 11,788 Member
    Options
    It has nothing to do with being petty or not. You're not in charge. You don't make or enforce the rules. If your benefits are being infringed on, it's time to speak up. If not, you would be well advised to mind your own business. If your company is aware of what's going on and deals with it a certain way, unless they seek your consultation, they don't want to hear from you.
  • ukulele2010
    ukulele2010 Posts: 126 Member
    Options
    I think it is unfair - but anything you say will not benefit you and may come off as petty. It is not your "job" to enforce the policy, or to inform others of his whereabouts, holidays, etc. And they are probably paying you the same rate for a reason - again, maybe not fair, but they may feel that paying one person more for the same "job" is not fair either.
  • alsunrise
    alsunrise Posts: 386 Member
    Options

I have thought about this! I may catch the "flu" next month. :wink:

lol I was thinking that it just sounds like you need to take more time off too.
  • perdie7
    perdie7 Posts: 278 Member
    Options
    did you agree to do the job you are doing, for the pay and time off you are getting? If they answer is yes, then you have noting to say or complain about.

what he has agreed to work for, and what time he gets off, is between him and the boss.