suit advice

Options
13»

Replies

• IronSmasher
    IronSmasher Posts: 3,908 Member
    Options
    The most important thing for a suit to look good is the fit (clown colours are obviously easily avoided).

I'd go navy for more likely to fit in. Black can come across as too formal, grey sometimes looks like you work in a night club.
    Obviously, single breasted, one or two button, two piece.
  • blakejohn
    blakejohn Posts: 1,129 Member
    Options
    100% Wool, get fitted and have it professionally tailored, and whatever you do, do not spend less than $500.

Hugo Boss makes some of the best suits, but just about any Italian brand will hang quite lovely on you.

Always remember men:(professionally tailored, fine fiber)suit = women:lingerie. When we see a man in a suit, it almost doesn't matter what the rest of him looks like.

Oh, and don't forget the shoes and other accessories! Never underestimate the accents.

this is what made me post last night I went to MW they are having there a sale two suits for about 700 but putting that much out of pocket
    the tailoring is for life so if I lose weight or gain they will take it in or let it out.
  • RunningDirty
    Options
    How fun! I say go for the one that fits you best, not necessarily the latest trend. Rock a suit that fits your personality and definitely agree on getting it professionally fitted afterwards! Good advice. I like grey if you're going with just having one in case you need it. You can dress grey up or tone it down pretty easily. Happy shopping! :bigsmile:
  • goddessofsewing
    goddessofsewing Posts: 110 Member
    Options
    Make sure it fits properly! If they have an in-house tailor make sure you talk to them about fit rather than the salesman. So long as the suit fits through the shoulders and in the body length any other adjustments are manageable. When I worked as a tailor I often chose different sizes for the customers than what the salesmen gave them to be altered.

And suits really are sexy. My husband hates wearing his, but knows I like it.
  • IronSmasher
    Options
    100% Wool, get fitted and have it professionally tailored, and whatever you do, do not spend less than $500.

Hugo Boss makes some of the best suits, but just about any Italian brand will hang quite lovely on you.

Always remember men:(professionally tailored, fine fiber)suit = women:lingerie. When we see a man in a suit, it almost doesn't matter what the rest of him looks like.

Oh, and don't forget the shoes and other accessories! Never underestimate the accents.

this is what made me post last night I went to MW they are having there a sale two suits for about 700 but putting that much out of pocket
    the tailoring is for life so if I lose weight or gain they will take it in or let it out.

There's a limit. I managed to lose enough weight that stores had to give me a whole new set of No.1s, and you KNOW that if they had to put their hand in their pocket there was no other way to get them to fit.
  • ahviendha
    ahviendha Posts: 1,291 Member
    Options
    get a vest too. different colored vest under a black/grey suit is so sexxxy!!
  • benbrandwood
    Options
    And go for good English tailoring - I buy all my work-wear from Charles Tyrwhitt in Jermyn St London - but they also sell online to the states

http://www.ctshirts.com/mens-suits/mens-business-suits?q=usddefault|||||||||||||||
  • jfcincoski
    Options
    I agree with the gray and a subtle pinstripe but also have a little color in the stripes. My husband has a dark gray suit that has a purplish stripe to it, looks great with a lavendar shirt.

Another idea would be a nice sports coat and dress pants, I see more of that in the office I work at and what my husband wears to work and social events.

And pants are now more fitted through the legs.
  • MrDude_1
    MrDude_1 Posts: 2,510 Member
    Options
    You're only going to have ONE suit?

Ignore what all the girls in here just said, and get black. actual black.

on your second suit that you will probably never wear because the black one is more appropriate.... get the navy/charcoal/whatever they say....
  • IronSmasher
    Options

on your second suit that you will probably never wear because the black one is more appropriate.... get the navy/charcoal/whatever they say....

Admittedly, there was only one occasion where I felt a little too formal/over dressed.
  • BrianSharpe
    BrianSharpe Posts: 9,248 Member
    Options
    Just my 2¢ but just about every man past school age needs a decent suit. Stay with something timeless and classic (charcoal grey, navy blue not black unless you're a funeral director) and I'm a sucker for pinstripes (at one point I had 5 or 6 pinstripe 3 piece suits and wore them for work - now my wardrobe is far more casual, it's rare that I even wear a tie to work but I still have several suits in my closet)

It is definitely worthwhile stepping up to the plate for a quality garment - it will give you years of service and cheap suits just look cheap.

As much as I hate buying anything made in China you may want to Google "Hong Kong Tailors" There are a number of companies that have tailors who travel from city to city and can make a very well tailored suit for a fraction of what you would expect to pay. I've bough a couple and have been very happy with them. When I win the lotto I'll head to London for a Saville Row suit......
  • MonicaLee92
    Options
    Mmmm suits are so attractive!
  • ArroganceInStep
    ArroganceInStep Posts: 6,239 Member
    Options
    If you're not knowledgeable about suits, I'd start with relatively cheap ones.

Beyond that, you really should set aside a day to go and try some on and see what suits you best.

The point made previously about shirts and ties can't be emphasized enough. A $300 suit with a well picked shirt and tie looks better, in my opinion, than a $3000 suit with a poorly chosen shirt and tie.
  • ArroganceInStep
    ArroganceInStep Posts: 6,239 Member
    Options

Can't disagree more. Charcoal or grey is far more useful than a black suit. I don't like navy as the first suit though. Grey all the way.
  • BusyRaeNOTBusty
    BusyRaeNOTBusty Posts: 7,166 Member
    Options
    Flat front pants. Tailored to fit. Brown or dark grey are really big right now.

Men in suits = yummy
  • blakejohn
    blakejohn Posts: 1,129 Member
    Options
    so the price of and off the rack suit and a custom made suit are about the same
  • MichelleLaree13
    MichelleLaree13 Posts: 865 Member
    Options
    My rule of thumb is I don't buy anything until I need it. Helps prevent impulse buying, particularly at Home Depot.
    I can't think of anything I would actually need a suit for any time in the next few years. I think I may have one sport coat that fits again. :)

I would put it off as long as possible or until you hit the weight you are going to stay at. Suits can be expensive and you will want it to fit well. If it fits today and you lose 20 lbs, it definately will not look nice anymore
  • farmwife3815
    farmwife3815 Posts: 326 Member
    Options
    Suits-Harvey-Specter-4.png

Oh yes please!! LOL
  • EllyG08
    EllyG08 Posts: 194 Member
    Options
    I :heart: a man in a suit. But it's the accessories that stand out! Be sure to compliment the suit with some fly ties and pocket squares!