Mcdonalds...

Options

Replies

• Fozzi43
    Fozzi43 Posts: 2,984 Member
    Options
    Never ate there again after pink slime story emerged. Don't care if they have since said they don't use it any longer. Gross

What's that????
    Ew. http://usnews.nbcnews.com/_news/2012/01/31/10282876-mcdonalds-drops-use-of-gooey-ammonia-based-pink-slime-in-hamburger-meat?lite

Thanks, that's awful! I had no idea!
  • itsmyvwbeetle
    itsmyvwbeetle Posts: 272 Member
    Options
    This morning there was a mandatory communications meeting at my job, my wonderful company generally provides breakfast for such events. The breakfast on this day was, bagel & egg sandwiches. I ate one, it was delicious, cheesy, warm bacon-y. I was so thrilled to be eating something that isn't oatmeal I grabbed a second sandwich on my way out of the meeting without even thinking about it. After I logged my first sandwich calories, I stared at my second sandwich guiltily (longingly) for a while, weighing its cheesy deliciousness to calorie intake.... After a bit of a struggle, I walked the sandwich back into the kitchen, put it back and walked away.

I walked away from food. Free food. FREE DELICIOUS FOOD. I am really proud of myself for not beating myself up for eating the damn thing in the first place, and I'm REALLY proud for not shame eating a second sandwich.

Small but important victory for me.

Not a small victory!! Thats awesome and sheer determination.
  • lwollerson
    lwollerson Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    I had my own small victory yesterday. My husband wanted to have Chinese food for lunch - I love, love,love Chinese food, so it is really hard not for me to overeat it. I ordered off the lunch menu which includes soup, eggroll and fried chicken wing in addition to the entree. I gave my husband the eggroll and the chicken wing (sigh), and I had a cup of hot and sour soup and only ate 1/2 my entree of chicken and broccoli (sauce on the side). And I ordered brown rice instead of white rice and only ate 1/2 cup of that. I think that that was the first time I ever took home a "doggy bag" of Chinese food.
  • DanaDark
    DanaDark Posts: 2,187 Member
    Options
    Oh gross!
    Glad I don't eat the burgers then...I just have the chicken on the rare occasion I do have it.

Now you're gonna say that the chicken is 'treated' or something now?

It's not really gross. Having advances in chemistry allows us to keep thing relatively sterile and quite clean. I can admit that the "pink slime" doesn't look pretty, but its food dang it, not the Mona Lisa. lol.

In the old days, they'd just have put it in a bag of salt and just HOPE nothing was growing in it before eating it. =X But today, we can get into the nitty gritty and kill pretty much anything harmful.

But chicken is tastier to me anyway!
  • ilovemaisy
    Options
    Yeah, if all you care about is calories.

I actually monitor all my macro nutrients. Despite popular belief, there IS more than just calories in fast food. :P

Like 490 mg of sodium per burger.
  • Fozzi43
    Fozzi43 Posts: 2,984 Member
    Options
    Oh gross!
    Glad I don't eat the burgers then...I just have the chicken on the rare occasion I do have it.

Now you're gonna say that the chicken is 'treated' or something now?

It's not really gross. Having advances in chemistry allows us to keep thing relatively sterile and quite clean. I can admit that the "pink slime" doesn't look pretty, but its food dang it, not the Mona Lisa. lol.

In the old days, they'd just have put it in a bag of salt and just HOPE nothing was growing in it before eating it. =X But today, we can get into the nitty gritty and kill pretty much anything harmful.

But chicken is tastier to me anyway!

Yes it is :wink:
  • wanda9501
    wanda9501 Posts: 114
    Options
    I will occasionally eat at McDonalds. I will have a kids meal. The hamburger or 4 nuggets is enough to satisfy me and the kids size fries are perfect. I sometimes get the milk with it, but they also have low cal options. Since this "new me" is going to be for life, I really study the menu in most of the places that I go or have gone. To think that I will never go to McDonalds again seems unlikely so better that I am prepared and know that I can have the kids meal, and it wont de-rail me.
    That is just my two cents anyway. Good luck on your journey.

Went to McDonald's this weekend for lunch, ordered 2 happy meals, 1 for me and 1 for my daughter. It felt great to be able to eat fast food with out it being so bad at around 425 calories.
  • lilteepot
    Options
    I unexpectedly kicked my McDonald's fry addiction by spending two weeks in Ghana. Have you ever ordered french fries at a restaurant, then waited an hour while the cooks in the kitchen peeled, cut, and fried your fresh potatoes to perfection in fresh palm oil?!? I'll never be satisfied by an American-made french fry again.

Congrats on that huge nsv! I'm not sure I could have wielded such amazing self-control! :)
  • stephdeeable
    stephdeeable Posts: 1,407 Member
    Options
    I work at McDonalds so I am around the tempation 40 hours a week, but so far it hasn't bothered me as much as I thought it would. I used to eat it 3 or 4 times a shift, now I bring my own lunch/dinner and snacks. The only thing I eat from work now is our water bottles and in a pinch I'll eat a couple packets of cashews(salad topping) to get me through until my break

. I don't even like eating our apple slices anymore because they creep me out. Once we opened a packet and left them in the office to see how long it would take for them to go bad.....3 weeks later and they still weren't browning. Sometimes my apples at home start going brown while I'm still eating it! So yeah, that creeps me out...I bring my own apples.

In a 8 hour shift I used to eat something like 2 sausage muffins with mayo, a hashbrown, a couple snackwraps, fries with mayo, quarter pounder with mayo and bacon, a pie, a bunch of pops and drinks. In one day! Times every day. Times 8 years = being 320 pounds. Haha.

That being said, I'm not afraid to treat myself at work every now and then. I'm still a human, not a health-robot. :)
  • DanaDark
    DanaDark Posts: 2,187 Member
    Options
    Yeah, if all you care about is calories.

I actually monitor all my macro nutrients. Despite popular belief, there IS more than just calories in fast food. :P

Like 490 mg of sodium per burger.

Depending on the rest of the day, totally acceptable. Increased sodium intake will generally result in more water retention. If you do not have underlying health problems, the increased sodium is not much of a concern at all. Over time, the sodium level will naturally go down and the extra water retained will be flushed.

Some of us are after fat loss, not just "weight loss".
  • obmckenzie
    obmckenzie Posts: 75 Member
    Options
    McDonald's makes me ill, even the smell of it. Chipotle is my devil. I had it yesterday, but that's the first time in about a month. Instead of once a week I've cut it to when I've been craving for a few days.
  • Briteblu
    Options
    I will occasionally eat at McDonalds. I will have a kids meal. The hamburger or 4 nuggets is enough to satisfy me and the kids size fries are perfect. I sometimes get the milk with it, but they also have low cal options. Since this "new me" is going to be for life, I really study the menu in most of the places that I go or have gone. To think that I will never go to McDonalds again seems unlikely so better that I am prepared and know that I can have the kids meal, and it wont de-rail me.
    That is just my two cents anyway. Good luck on your journey.

Went to McDonald's this weekend for lunch, ordered 2 happy meals, 1 for me and 1 for my daughter. It felt great to be able to eat fast food with out it being so bad at around 425 calories.

I haven't been in awhile but the last few times I did, I got the McChicken mini meal they have now. It's only like $2.99 so I save money also.
  • lilteepot
    Options
    McDonald's makes me ill, even the smell of it. Chipotle is my devil.

Who SAID CHIPOTLE!?!?! Cue Pavlovian Dog response... Crap...
  • blwalton70
    blwalton70 Posts: 71 Member
    Options
    That is awesome! The other night my husband and I went out to get chinese food. I had a ton of calories to use and was STARVING! I told my husband that I didn't care if I went over on my calories, that I was going to eat all my food and not feel bad about it! Half way through my meal of egg roll, shrimp, ham fried rice, and creamy egg drop soup- I felt SICK. There was NO way I was going to be able to finish all my food. Since starting my MFP, my stomach has gotten smaller and my tolerence for greasy food is low! I am so glad that my body responded that way! I came home, put in my calories and still wasn't over!
  • mell6355
    mell6355 Posts: 171 Member
    Options
    My fast food failure was Burrachos, they give such horribly huge portions and a co worker and I celebrated Pay Day by going to Burrachos every other Friday!
    We still go but now we get the salad instead of nachos, we get chicken instead of Pork, skip the cheese or skip the sourcream (you really only "need" one), get the brown cilantro rice and black beans, instead of white rice and pinto beans.
    BEST OF ALL we can only eat about half of it instead of litterally the entire monstor size portion! Exclude the sodium problem and add some jalapenos so you drink 3 glasses of water with your meal, and BAM! Huge improvement and not a bad meal!
  • Puggy33
    Puggy33 Posts: 300
    Options
    McDonald's makes me ill, even the smell of it. Chipotle is my devil.

Who SAID CHIPOTLE!?!?! Cue Pavlovian Dog response... Crap...

Hate to say it but my chipotle burritos are not MFP friendly...they are a huge weakness of mine, thank god I have to drive 45 min to get to one otherwise i'd be fat and broke lol
  • secretlobster
    secretlobster Posts: 3,566 Member
    Options
    Hate to say it but my chipotle burritos are not MFP friendly...they are a huge weakness of mine, thank god I have to drive 45 min to get to one otherwise i'd be fat and broke lol

Last year a Chipotle moved in around the corner from my house. I mean "around the corner" in the literal sense, let's say 100 steps. It takes me longer to eat there than it does to walk there. Instead of putting it on my list of Devil Food I picked out something I was going to order if they go there. I chose a burrito bowl with chicken or barbacoa, rice, beans, lettuce, salsa, and fajita vegetables - 525 calories. So I'll eat there every couple of weeks after a workout if I don't have time to make food, and it's delicious. The burrito bowl is actually very satisfying even without a tortilla.
  • butterfli7o
    butterfli7o Posts: 1,319 Member
    Options
    I will totally admit that no matter how much I've cleaned up my eating, and how much I know about what goes into fast food, that I sometimes just cannot resist that effing McDouble.
  • wyattsmomjoy
    wyattsmomjoy Posts: 13 Member
    Options
    I was so proud of myself yesterday. We had corporate suits come into the office and of course a spread of pastries, breakfast sandwiches (egg, cheese, sausage, croisants) and fruit were served. I only had the fruit! I resisted all the junk! Yay me! Yay you!
  • SoDamnHungry
    SoDamnHungry Posts: 6,998 Member
    Options
    I didn't eat old nasty cinnamon rolls just because they were there and should be eaten. I consider that a victory since I'll eat really old, crappy stuff.
Do you Love MyFitnessPal? Have you crushed a goal or improved your life through better nutrition using MyFitnessPal?
Share your success and inspire others. Leave us a review on Apple Or Google Play stores!