Clean eating cereal other than oatmeal?

Options

Replies

• Factory_Reset
    Factory_Reset Posts: 1,651 Member
    Options
    I love kashi go lean crunch or natures path organic pumkin flax granola cereal. they are both filling and I think a better choice then some other cereals. the natures path brand also has a peanut butter flavor out, but haven't seen it yet(hubby's mens health had it featured).
  • jcstanton
    jcstanton Posts: 1,849 Member
    Options
    My go to "clean" cereal is Kashi GoLean Crunch Honey Almond Flax. It's still not 100% clean in that it has some ingredients that are machine processed, but there aren't any ingredients listed that sound like harmful chemicals.
  • DJ2120
    DJ2120 Posts: 407 Member
    Options
    yeah rule of thumb is "if you cannot pronounce it, DON"T EAT IT" ... I follow that for the most part.. love kashi cereal but makes stomach WAY TOO LOUD!!!:happy:

LOL exactly, that's what I go by. I'm still new to this whole clean eating thing, so I love to ask questions & get suggestions. Everyone here for the most part is super helpful aside from the occasional sarcastic people. Thank you & thanks to everyone who has responded :wink:
  • 1ConcreteGirl
    1ConcreteGirl Posts: 3,677 Member
    Options
    I don't know about "clean," but more healthy would be Kashi Go Lean Crunch (super high in protein, compared to almost anything else) and granola.

Another option is brown rice with honey and milk (sounds weird, but it's really good).
  • jcstanton
    jcstanton Posts: 1,849 Member
    Options
    I don't know about "clean," but more healthy would be Kashi Go Lean Crunch (super high in protein, compared to almost anything else) and granola.

Another option is brown rice with honey and milk (sounds weird, but it's really good).

Actually, it sounds kind of yummy. Just add some cinnamon and you have a healthier version of a rice pudding. :)
  • cal_73
    cal_73 Posts: 77
    Options
    only two options that I know of: Fiber 1 original and shredded wheat
  • DJ2120
    Options

Actually, it sounds kind of yummy. Just add some cinnamon and you have a healthier version of a rice pudding. :)

Yeah that does sound pretty good!
  • DJ2120
    Options

Oh I used to love shredded wheat! Haven't had it in a long time.
  • bonitacubana
    Options
    1st - you are so gosh darned pretty!
    2nd - I LOVE betteroats products. The oatfit is pretty low on cals and sugar and tastes GREAT.
    Hope this helps! :-)
  • samlankford
    Options
    oooo the evil shredded wheat.. I could eat the whole box... used to have them with my coffee at work... may have to grab a little box for work...:bigsmile:
  • tabinmaine
    tabinmaine Posts: 965 Member
    Options
    Hodgson Mills cereals... OatBran is one.
  • mbz0616
    mbz0616 Posts: 77 Member
    Options

According to MFP calculations, this recipe add up to 2111 calories (not including any milk or other stuff that you serve it with). I'm guessing that you'd want to divide it into reasonable-sized portions/servings. Sounds tasty though.
  • WendyTerry420
    WendyTerry420 Posts: 13,274 Member
    Options
    Any suggestions for a good clean breakfast cold cereal? I thought Cheerios was possibly a good one until I saw all of the ingredients :ohwell:

Which ingredient were you concerned about?

Sugar, salt, corn starch & some things I can't pronounce lol!

So the relative cleanliness of a food item is positively correlated with my ability to pronounce scientific terms?

LOL....

The main ingredients in Cheerios include whole grain oats, sugar, oat fiber and salt. I would bet that the ingredients that you can't pronounce are called vitamins.

There is nothing "unclean" about Cheerios, in my opinion. The only thing wrong with it is you have to dump extra sugar in it. Honey Nut Cheerios is much yummier.
  • WendyTerry420
    WendyTerry420 Posts: 13,274 Member
    Options

Shredded wheat.....with enough butter and sugar added to it, it's pretty tasty.
  • californiagirl2012
    californiagirl2012 Posts: 2,625 Member
    Options
    Any suggestions for a good clean breakfast cold cereal? I thought Cheerios was possibly a good one until I saw all of the ingredients :ohwell:

I stay away from all cold cereals. The high heat process to make it destroys the nutrients and they try to save it by adding synthetic vitamins. Even the organic cereals are high temp processed. it also makes it hard to digest which is more of an issue when you are older like me.

I love all hot cereals; quinoa, rice, bob's red mill mighty tasty cereal, grits, etc. So yummy and satisfying.
  • naner61
    naner61 Posts: 85
    Options
    I eat Holy crap cereal the dragons blend ... I mix it with yogurt and let it sit for a few minutes and it is yummy. They say to let it sit in bowl of water in the fridge then just take out a 1/4 cup at a time and pour almond milk over.... going to try it this weekend. It has chia seeds that plump up when immersed in water.
  • jacquelyn_erika
    jacquelyn_erika Posts: 524 Member
    Options
    I like Ezekiel cereal.
  • L00py_T0ucan
    L00py_T0ucan Posts: 1,378 Member
    Options
    Not sure these live up to the criteria, but the Environmental Working Group posted some ratings.
    I figure if they are healthy for kids, they are healthy for adults.

Check it out!

http://www.ewg.org/report/sugar_in_childrens_cereals/healthy_breakfast_tips
  • Blueberry09
    Blueberry09 Posts: 821 Member
    Options
    All Bran Buds - only 80 cals for 1/3 cup.
  • DJ2120
    Options

I stay away from all cold cereals. The high heat process to make it destroys the nutrients and they try to save it by adding synthetic vitamins. Even the organic cereals are high temp processed. it also makes it hard to digest which is more of an issue when you are older like me.

I love all hot cereals; quinoa, rice, bob's red mill mighty tasty cereal, grits, etc. So yummy and satisfying.

Thank you, that's pretty much how I was looking at it as well.