What change did you make that helped you most?

Options
This is a journey of knowledge. Learning what works for losing weight. I want to know what change you made that has made the biggest impact on your success of losing weight and getting healthy. For me I haven't figured it out. I'm still crunching numbers. I have ED so in the past restricting food was the only way I knew how. I have been eating which is good but I can't seem to get it right. I have been fluctuating 5 lbs for over a year. I have my macros set and I eat at a deficit. I'm sure my issue is accurately logging my cals. I'm just wondering what has worked for you.

Thank you in advance for any advice or information.

Replies

• crimsoncat
    crimsoncat Posts: 457 Member
    Options
    I dropped soda. Instead I drink hot tea, water or carbonated water only. I cannot believe how much cheaper it is for me to eat out now. It's like $2-4 a meal for stuff that just made me fat.
  • castell5
    castell5 Posts: 234 Member
    Options
    I got up off my *kitten* and decided to start doing at least 30 min's a day of exercise and start watching calories. 39lbs down, not napping every day and feeling MUCH better overall.
  • joywo
    joywo Posts: 39 Member
    Options
    Avoiding hidden sugars, franken-sugars (Stevia is the only substitute you should use), carbonated drinks, white flour (quinoa pasta rocks!) and unfortunately, alcohol. *sigh*

Homemade veggie soups fill you up, give you vital nutrition and is low in calories.

Lastly, making last meal of the day the smallest.

Exercise is anything making you just MOVE off your butt
  • paulaviki
    paulaviki Posts: 678 Member
    Options
    Weighing my food. I was often eating 2-3 times what they had as a portion on the packet and seriously underestimating my calorie intake!
  • kellicci
    kellicci Posts: 409 Member
    Options
    Bootcamp! and higher protein.
  • Troublemonster
    Troublemonster Posts: 223 Member
    Options
    Portion control with a scale, cut out soda and everything else with sugar, and move more. It started out as a commitment and has become a lifestyle after 8 months.
  • jesz124
    jesz124 Posts: 1,004 Member
    Options
    Honestly.... As much as I hate to say it. Stopping drinking every night. I used to have at least 1 large glass of wine every single night. Since I've stopped I have more energy, can concentrate better, eat better, have a ton more motivation. A close second is lifting weights but that wouldn't of happened without sorting the drinking out anyway, and it's still very early days for the lifting, but so far I'm really pleased with my small results so far!
  • kenazfehu
    kenazfehu Posts: 1,188 Member
    Options
    Eating between meals. I used to eat almost all day every day, a bite of this, a pinch of that, a spoonful of this other thing .... and so forth. I lost 9 pounds in the first month just from doing that (before joining MFP).

I've gained since I started MFP. This whole TDEE/daily calorie equation doesn't seem to be working, but I thought I'd give it a bit longer before making more cuts in my diet. I've had a few meals of not logging/measuring, maybe that is why I'm not on track yet. Am doing my best!
  • katescurios
    katescurios Posts: 224 Member
    Options
    Exercise, it means I still get to eat the occasional junk food, I just have to work for it :D
  • StarkLark
    StarkLark Posts: 476 Member
    Options
    Measuring or preferably weighing almost everything I eat.
  • jothekid
    jothekid Posts: 230 Member
    Options
    Cutting alcohol & midnight munchies!
  • RedHeadDevotchka
    RedHeadDevotchka Posts: 1,394 Member
    Options
    Doing stuff I didn't want to and stopped making excuses. My mindset being changed was the biggest because it affect both diet and exercise. So that's hwere MFP comes in.
  • DeMarraDontStop
    DeMarraDontStop Posts: 342 Member
    Options
    Portion control using the scale. Exercise!
  • deksgrl
    deksgrl Posts: 7,237 Member
    Options
    Changing my goal from lowering # of pounds to lowering % body fat. Along with that, I have tweaked my diet some and started exercising regularly. I'm no longer a slave to the scale with my every mood tied to it (and the sabotage that comes with that).
  • bluebird321
    bluebird321 Posts: 732 Member
    Options
    Not drinking calories.
  • ErinBeth7
    ErinBeth7 Posts: 1,625 Member
    Options
    My attitude and cutting back on alcohol.
  • August_1958
    August_1958 Posts: 110 Member
    Options
    Drinking water. I never used to drink water! I normally had sweet tea or pop with lunch and dinner. I now limit 1 glass of iced tea, to once or twice a week ONLY, and water the rest of the time.
  • michelle0989
    michelle0989 Posts: 121 Member
    Options
    i'd have to agree with most people here and say cutting out alcohol. i only have it on very special occasions. also, not eating after 8pm has helped me tremendously! those late night cravings are out to get you.
  • fitambitious
    fitambitious Posts: 57 Member
    Options
    Increasing my calorie intake from MFP set 1200 to 1500 cals and adding 1 hour moderate exercise to daily routine
  • bsuew
    bsuew Posts: 628 Member
    Options
    I stopped snacking all day and got up off my butt and started exercising & portion control. And I try to never eat after 6.