Options
    Woo!! :D Im in as well! I just started yesterday and my calfs are soo sore
    but im determined to make it through!!
  • OspreyVista
    OspreyVista Posts: 464 Member
    Options
    Woo!! :D Im in as well! I just started yesterday and my calfs are soo sore
    but im determined to make it through!!

Yeah, they will be for a few days :D I love the sore feeling now. I used to hate it, but now I Love it. At least I know I'm making progress!
  • myfitnesslife75
    myfitnesslife75 Posts: 163 Member
    Options
    I just started yesterday so I'm in!!! I watched the recommendations part yesterday and I thought she said to do the workout everyday which I found unusual. Should I take off every 3rd day? 4th day? Advice is welcome and appreciated. Thanks!

I cannot tell you what is best. I've heard mixed reviews on it. Jillian does say to do it everyday and that is what the workout is made for. There are others that will tell you that you need to take rest days just like any other strength program. I've also heard that if you do it every single day, that you get better results than taking a day off. I don't know what's best to be honest, but Jillian does say in the video to do every single day. I'm going to do it every single day unless something requires me to take a day off, like a migraine. (so far that's happening today! ><) I tried researching it yesterday and all I got was that it said to do it every day. *shrugs* I think it also makes a difference on you, whether your body can handle it or not too. I've heard a few people have problems with their knees, I've had problems with my leg but that might be due to the fact that I broke it at 1 month old.

I know this probably didn't help much, but there are a lot of varying opinions on it. :\

http://www.justjared.com/2012/01/06/jillian-michaels-take-a-day-off-from-the-gym/
    From the article: “You know you are overdoing it if you are spending more than 5-6 hours a week in the gym. I really, really think you need one day off – your body needs to rest and you need that recovery time. So, if you are going over 6 hours a week, you definitely may have an exercise addiction – unless you are morbidly obese and you have a ton of weight to lose. That’s a different story.

30 Day Shred is not over doing it, IMO. It's only a 20 minute workout that you only need to do once a day. Yes, the first 3 days are the WORST, in my experience, but so long as you can push through it again the next day without excessive pain, I see no reason not to keep it up. It's a program designed for "quick change" within a month. I take rest days on the weekend. Only 2 days. By Monday I'm sore again. LOL

Like Jillian says many times, "Results don't come for free, people! Push your way through it!!"
    Another phrase I like, "Don't gimme excuses, gimme results!' ~ Penguins off Madagascar Escape to Africa.
  • forrolouise
    forrolouise Posts: 31 Member
    Options
    I'm totally in too!!! I'm starting Day 4 Level 1 tonight! It's definitely getting easier now!!! I keep hearing Level 2 is a MONSTER!!
  • forrolouise
    Options
    I just started yesterday so I'm in!!! I watched the recommendations part yesterday and I thought she said to do the workout everyday which I found unusual. Should I take off every 3rd day? 4th day? Advice is welcome and appreciated. Thanks!

I read on a different 30 Day Shred thread on MFP that on a podcast she states that it should really be SHRED SHRED CARDIO SHRED SHRED CARDIO REST. I'm doing it the full 30 days through though.
  • forrolouise
    Options
    What other workouts are you doing if any with the Shred?
  • OspreyVista
    Options

I cannot tell you what is best. I've heard mixed reviews on it. Jillian does say to do it everyday and that is what the workout is made for. There are others that will tell you that you need to take rest days just like any other strength program. I've also heard that if you do it every single day, that you get better results than taking a day off. I don't know what's best to be honest, but Jillian does say in the video to do every single day. I'm going to do it every single day unless something requires me to take a day off, like a migraine. (so far that's happening today! ><) I tried researching it yesterday and all I got was that it said to do it every day. *shrugs* I think it also makes a difference on you, whether your body can handle it or not too. I've heard a few people have problems with their knees, I've had problems with my leg but that might be due to the fact that I broke it at 1 month old.

I know this probably didn't help much, but there are a lot of varying opinions on it. :\

http://www.justjared.com/2012/01/06/jillian-michaels-take-a-day-off-from-the-gym/
    From the article: “You know you are overdoing it if you are spending more than 5-6 hours a week in the gym. I really, really think you need one day off – your body needs to rest and you need that recovery time. So, if you are going over 6 hours a week, you definitely may have an exercise addiction – unless you are morbidly obese and you have a ton of weight to lose. That’s a different story.

30 Day Shred is not over doing it, IMO. It's only a 20 minute workout that you only need to do once a day. Yes, the first 3 days are the WORST, in my experience, but so long as you can push through it again the next day without excessive pain, I see no reason not to keep it up. It's a program designed for "quick change" within a month. I take rest days on the weekend. Only 2 days. By Monday I'm sore again. LOL

Like Jillian says many times, "Results don't come for free, people! Push your way through it!!"
    Another phrase I like, "Don't gimme excuses, gimme results!' ~ Penguins off Madagascar Escape to Africa.

In total it's only 2.4 hours so your not even getting close to 6 hours. It doesn't sound like a big deal to me. Unless your adding hours of other stuff along with it.
  • OspreyVista
    Options
    What other workouts are you doing if any with the Shred?

I havn't been doing anything other than 30ds as I've been busy and today I'm sick. I was planning on doing some elliptical today, but I'm trying to feel better and I have a questionaire for a job at 4, won't get home till 6-7 so yeah, another day of just 30DS :\ I might start adding in Biggest Loser Cardio max in though. It's a great work out too.
  • WendyTerry420
    WendyTerry420 Posts: 13,274 Member
    Options

It is over doing it if you don't take any rest days at all. Even if you are fit, you should still take one rest day each week to let your muscles recover. Jillian also says this. (not to mention dozens of others that I have read) The *real* change happens during rest days, when your muscles start to grow. They can't grow if you don't let them! :wink:
  • WendyTerry420
    WendyTerry420 Posts: 13,274 Member
    Options

I read on a different 30 Day Shred thread on MFP that on a podcast she states that it should really be SHRED SHRED CARDIO SHRED SHRED CARDIO REST. I'm doing it the full 30 days through though.

This is true. It was on the podcast.

No rest days = no muscle gains
  • Tulukki
    Tulukki Posts: 16 Member
    Options
    Just did Day 4 of level 1 today! I would love to do this with you guys and keep you posted on my results. I do take a day or so in between, but it's because I do martial arts classes on those days XD I've found that as long as you find some way to stay active on the "off" days you should be fine taking breaks. I'll jump on every day or so to see all of your progress and let you know how I'm doing. Keep it up everyone!!! :D
  • lindseyrh
    Options
    I started 30DS Sunday night, monday off, and just finished day 4, level 1 today. I am sore, but a good sore that reminds me how hard I've been working, so I am much more motivated not to "slip up" on my diet! I am also adding in extra cardio walking/jogging daily and doing yoga/pilates (1x wk each). Doing 30 minutes of seated hip-openers yesterday really helped alleviate soreness!
  • SleeplessinBerlin
    SleeplessinBerlin Posts: 513 Member
    Options
    Agree, rest days are a must. The combo shred-shred-cardio-shred-shred-cardio-rest makes total sense, too. (I hate cardio though, ugh!). But I'm not ready to plan any rest days yet, after all I just started ;) I'm sure life will force a rest day upon me anyway (if not my laziness will, lol).

Jreich90, that's funny because day 2 seemed harder for me us well. My muscles weren't that fresh and energized as yesterday I guess. I hate starting with pushups because this is what I really struggle with (even the modified version) - on the other hand, once they're done I'm glad I have it behind me.
    And I also exercise without shoes on a thin rug on wooden floor - because I'm too lazy to put shoes on. No problems yet, but we'll see how it goes on day 3.
  • TanyaEberle
    TanyaEberle Posts: 12 Member
    Options
    Will guys friend me? I started this week. I am going to try this on m,w and f. Along with a 20 min run walk. I am also seeing a trainer t and th. I probably will not get back to it till Monday . But I want to try this.
  • SleeplessinBerlin
    SleeplessinBerlin Posts: 513 Member
    Options
    Whoa, I weighed this morning and I am 2 lb lighter! I know it's mostly water weight that I lost (especially since it's this time of the month) but who cares. It motivates me, so I'm glad.
    I'm almost looking forward to exercising tonight. Who knew?
  • myfitnesslife75
    Options
    Day 5, Level 1 COMPLETE!! Never completed 5 consecutive days before so I'm pretty happy with myself!:bigsmile: Gives me hope for a good week next week!
  • myfitnesslife75
    Options
    Whoa, I weighed this morning and I am 2 lb lighter! I know it's mostly water weight that I lost (especially since it's this time of the month) but who cares. It motivates me, so I'm glad.

Yay! Have fun exercising tonight!
  • janiem1987
    janiem1987 Posts: 29 Member
    Options
    Day 5 Level 1 done! I already feel stronger! I'm not nearly as sore and the cardio feels much easier! The push ups are still hard and I am only able to do a few 'real' ones before dropping to the modified version.
  • ellanoise
    ellanoise Posts: 18 Member
    Options
    I'm jumping on this bandwagon too! I did Day1 Level one today.

I may have cussed Jillian out once or twice...
  • OspreyVista
    Options

Sounds awesome :D That reminds me that I need to get my water intake up! Lol