Dog owners:what kind of food do you buy?

Replies

• monicalosesweight
    monicalosesweight Posts: 1,173 Member
    We buy these refrigerated sausages that are human grade meats for dogs. They carry them at Walmart, Petsmart, and Petco. The brand is called Freshpet and they even have a line called Vital which is meat based. The actual sausages have veggies in them too (sometimes fruits). Basically, the Vital line is the more expensive one while Freshpet is the cheaper line (both are good). Our dog eats the Chicken sausage and the Lamb one by Vital. It's simple cut and weight and chop into small pieces.

We moved away from dry foods years ago as these have more moisture so they are better for your pet. We were worried about going raw (can't help our paranoia) but this is the next best thing. We were cooking and packaging and freezing our own foods but this is way easier and more convenient.
  • dsmboy1991
    dsmboy1991 Posts: 194 Member
    Blue Buffalo Wilderness, I alternate between the duck, chicken and salmon every couple months to give them something different.
  • MrsScheidt
    MrsScheidt Posts: 207 Member
    Pro Plan Salmon and Rice Sensitive Skin and Stomach Formula. Its about $40 for a 35lb bag
  • Neraks
    Neraks Posts: 30 Member
    Check out www.dogfoodadvisor.com.
  • Our doodle seems to have some allergies as well. Our vet mentioned that corn, chicken and beef are the most common allergic triggers in dog food so we've been searching for the most cost effective food that has limited ingredients and avoids those three completely. She is also a very picky eater so the food has to be palatable. The website dogfoodadvisor.com has been really helpful in our decision. Right now we are using Simply Nourish and she has had less skin irritation and seems to like it well enough. I know how hard and stressful it can be to make the right choices for our 4 legged friends.......good luck!
  • I actually work at a pet store and I am trained to help people find the right food for their dogs. I'm so happy to hear all of the great advice given on this thread!

Excuse the long post, but this is what I do with my life about 5 days a week after classes, so I have a lot to suggest.

I would definitely switch your dog to a natural food- something with minimal grains, no fillers, lots of protein, and high quality ingredients. Some people "swear by" certain brands that have been around for quite some time, but aren't exactly up to par (Purina, Pedigree, Science Diet, Alpo, Kibbles and Bits, Eukaneuba, Beneful, Caesars, etc). Every dog is different. Some do just fine on these brands, but many have food sensitivities and can't deal with all the extra ingredients. I have customers that come in and their dogs have a grain allergy, a chicken allergy, sensitive skin, sensitive stomach... there's always a solution. The best thing to do is to go into your local pet store and read labels.

If your dog is having skin issues, first try switching to a good, high quality dry food, and go from there. Like a lot of people have said, you can try adding fish oil drops to the food, or buy the capsules, if changing the food isn't enough. I feed my dogs Blue Buffalo. It's not cheap by any means, but a medium sized bag (around $35) will last me about 3 weeks for my yellow lab. Also, with high quality foods, you don't need to feed as much as with other foods, because the nutrient-packed kibble keeps them full longer (with less waste to clean up too). A good diet helps the skin, coat, teeth, joints, energy level, helps muscle growth, and weight maintenance (well, we all know that already because we're all on MFP) . I also have been able to solve many customer's issues with the Natural Balance L.I.D line (like someone else mentioned in the beginning of the thread). The first ingredients are "the good stuff", and they are also all grain free and come in a variety of flavors to choose from, which caters to a lot of dogs with allergies. Other brands you may want to check out are Wellness, Merrick, and Innova. Other brands were suggested already that I've heard pretty good things about (Orijen, Taste of the Wild, etc.), but I'm not familiar with those because we don't sell them at my store.

Don't forget, the treats you give your pet are just as important as the food. You don't want to ruin an all-natural diet by giving it tons of milkbones. Try getting better quality treats like Natural Balance LIT, Blue Bones, Old Mother Hubbard, etc. Also, you need to make sure you ease your dog into this new diet slowly, mixing the food little by little until he completely transitions over. A lot of people switch too fast, their dogs get sick, and they get discouraged.

I hope this helps!
  • I lost my best buddy a month ago...Petie...he was a rat terrier and he was 12 years old. The vet told me his kidneys completely shut down... she asked what I was feeding him and I told her Kibbles and Bits...she had a fit..... that is probably what made his kidneys shut down...it is grain filled and high carb.....lots of grains......

I miss him so bad, please do some research and stop feeding your dog crap filled with grains.....

you will have to spend a little more money on their food but let me ask you, is the dog worth it...if i could have my Petie back I would feed him filet mignon everyday.....

dont feed your dog grain based food.....

Yep, I had been buying Kibbles and Bits for our dog as well and he loved it...until he
    started peeing blood and having a temperature and cowering in pain...poor thing developed
    kidney stones. We changed his food to Ceasar dry dog food now and he has not had any more
    trouble.
  • I buy Newman's Own from Amazon. My dog and cat LOVE IT. I get treats from there also and they love those even more. They both have beautiful coats and no dandruff. Even with shipping and handling, I find that the price is about the same as what you would buy at the vets office.
  • coliema
    coliema Posts: 7,646 Member
    I've switched my dogs food from Alpo, to Beneful (which was good for him, but he didn't like it much), and now he's on Nutrish (Rachel Ray) and he loves it!
  • jsmith2377
    jsmith2377 Posts: 208 Member
    Diamond Naturals (it is different than Diamond) Lamb and Rice
    We use this as well. Our dogs love it and it's not too expensive.
  • Thesoundofwolf
    Thesoundofwolf Posts: 378 Member
    Our new pooch eats the Science diet for medium dogs, then we give him a GMC vitamin for skin/fur coat. Being that he is a poodle mix, he doesn't shed much- but it does make for the good in the skin department. He seems to enjoy it.

My cat used to have terrible dander durring the winter/fall months, we had to go to the vet to get like vitamins that were percription based only, however. Since she couldn't do over counter to help her problems.
  • Bigpelly8
    Bigpelly8 Posts: 504 Member
    My dog also has bad skin allergies. We use Nutro brand/ They have a sensitive skin formula that is potato/fish meal or something of the sort. They just changed the bag so the new name escapes me.
  • hbrittingham
    hbrittingham Posts: 2,518 Member
    I feed Natures Domain grain free from Costco.
  • I have heard great things about blue buffalo wilderness--especially for dogs that are having issues with skin. I personally feed it to my dog and she loves it :) It is on the pricier side but I think it is definitely worth the money...hope your dog gets to feeling better!

This! My dogs have done a complete turn around health wise since being put on this food.
  • NWCyclingBeast
    NWCyclingBeast Posts: 157 Member
    Maybe something grain free would do the trick. I get the grain free stuff (the name escapes me) from Costco. A little more healthy for them.
  • DaffyDil
    DaffyDil Posts: 3 Member
    If you have a Tractor Supply nearby then I recommend any of their brand called 4 Health. They're super great! No corn, no wheat, and no soy. The best part is I'm getting a 35# bag for $30! Can't beat that and my dogs loooooove it!!!
  • My dog has allergies so we use IAMS sensitive naturals. It's pretty much only fish, She loves it and all the skin issues have gone away. No red spots, not itching.
  • NWCyclingBeast
    NWCyclingBeast Posts: 157 Member
    Natures Domain is the name of the grain free Costco food. My dogs say they prefer it.
  • uglydeuce
    uglydeuce Posts: 35 Member
    Blue Buffalo Wilderness is what my dog and cat eat. I pay a little more for better food but its not more by much. If you're feeding them a better food with all of their nutritional needs its usually a smaller amount than the crappy foods suggest feeding a dog. They eat less, are healthier, and poop less too! Great benefits.

My dog had flaky skin and regularly oily fur plus he was starting to act older than what he actually was. Now his fur and skin are a LOT nicer and he has a lot more energy. Its really improved his quality of life.

A good rule of thumb is if its advertized on TV then its probably not a good food to feed. Dr. Tim's I hear is great too for highly active dogs.
  • Corryn78
    Corryn78 Posts: 215
    My family owns a feed store and I"m still totally lost on what's the best choice out there. Advice from my vet was choose a brand that has been around. He says there are so many new store specific "specialty" foods, that when there is a recall, many fall through the cracks. I was buying a grain free brand that my local store carried exclusively. It was of course highly recommended. Vet said nope...dogs are not carnivores, they actually needs meats and plant based nutrition, unlike cats that can do just fine on meat based only. We've switched our dog to Iams lamb and rice and her digestion has improved, she has put on lean muscle and looks great.