Beginner strength training

Options
Hi, I started in the world of strength training today and am bewildered by it and lacking direction.

I have a gym membership and go to group classes. I want to lower my BF% and get leaner and I think using heavier weights might be a more effective use of my time.
I'm moderately active and a lower back injury prevents deadlifts, squats... pretty much any lower back exercises.

I think this might be appropriate weekly:
1 day shoulders+ back+ abs, 1 day legs+ glutes, 1 day arms+ abs, 1 day full body. Lift as much as I can for 12 repetitions, 3x with a 30 second break in between. And then do 30 mins of cardio either same day or alternating days depending on how I feel.

This seems like a shot in the dark and I would just be hoping for the best. Do you think I'm I doing the right thing or missing the whole point? How many days a week would you recommend and how many minutes a session?
Or good websites? :)

Replies

• maryjay52
    maryjay52 Posts: 557 Member
    Options
    just make sure you take in extra protein when you get in to weights
  • WendyTerry420
    WendyTerry420 Posts: 13,274 Member
    Options
    Check out the New Rules of Lifting for Women. Or http://stronglifts.com/
  • Baloostika
    Baloostika Posts: 203 Member
    Options
    Hi, I started in the world of strength training today and am bewildered by it and lacking direction.

I have a gym membership and go to group classes. I want to lower my BF% and get leaner and I think using heavier weights might be a more effective use of my time.
    I'm moderately active and a lower back injury prevents deadlifts, squats... pretty much any lower back exercises.

I think this might be appropriate weekly:
    1 day shoulders+ back+ abs, 1 day legs+ glutes, 1 day arms+ abs, 1 day full body. Lift as much as I can for 12 repetitions, 3x with a 30 second break in between. And then do 30 mins of cardio either same day or alternating days depending on how I feel.

This seems like a shot in the dark and I would just be hoping for the best. Do you think I'm I doing the right thing or missing the whole point? How many days a week would you recommend and how many minutes a session?
    Or good websites? :)
    That's nice if u ask me, I just started too. How heavy I mean in kg or lbs are u lifting?
  • MichelleLaree13
    MichelleLaree13 Posts: 865 Member
    Options
    I am not big into strength training but have considered getting into it more. I may go to a class for strength training so they can teach me what the heck I am suppose to be doing and provide guidance.
  • Helloitsdan
    Helloitsdan Posts: 5,564 Member
    Options
    Strong lifts 5x5 or starting strength are 2 fantastic programs.
    I will say that adding dips and pull/chin ups to both programs will help.
  • SHBoss1673
    SHBoss1673 Posts: 7,161 Member
    Options
    I posted about this on my health site, it may give you some insight and a starting point.

http://bankshealth.wordpress.com/2011/07/11/weight-training-for-the-beginner-exerciser-and-technical-failure/
  • ravengirl1611
    ravengirl1611 Posts: 285 Member
    Options
    looks like a good thing to me but I'd talk to one of the trainers at your gym and ask them to look over your program - I also have lower back issues and my trainer worked out a program for me that protects my back, strengthens it and lets me lift (my progression will be more gradual than most but I'll get there) It's working really really well for me - actually yesterday I was having issues with my back (slid and jerked my back the wrong way) but was scheduled for a session with my trainer so I went and explained to him what happened and that the pain level was quite high - we did my usual workout but with some extra stretches that I hadnt done before and by the end of the workout the pain was cut in 1/2 and today its half of that again - the exercise really really really helped.

Best advice I could give - talk to a trainer about a program specifically to help / not harm your back - it's working for me!
  • SurfyFriend
    SurfyFriend Posts: 362 Member
    Options
    Extra protein, that makes sense, to help recover.
    Thanks, I'll check it out.

Thanks, I've only tried shoulder/upper back and they were 15-20kg. How are you finding it?
  • running_shoe
    running_shoe Posts: 180 Member
    Options
    I just started strength myself. I found a program I consider to be a good place to start. http://www.amazon.com/Weight-Training-Beginners-Tony-Gallagher/dp/0060576553. I t uses a lot of exercises I already do and is a full body routine. The book has beginner and intermediate routines and the emphasis is on proper form. The beginner program uses dumbbells only, and I went from using 5-8 lb weights with lots of reps to 10-20 lb weights with fewer reps. There are also a number of exercises with only your body weight, to help get the "hidden" muscle groups ready. I'm coming up on my 42 birthday and do not want to injure. I am mere pounds from my goal weight and not in any hurry, so I am happy to start at the beginning. I've go my eye on " the new rules of lifting for women" as my next reference. I'm working on upping my protein and water consumption, that's just as challenging as I don't want to use supplements. Good luck! Add me if you'd like to compare notes.
  • SurfyFriend
    Options
    I have a PT session booked for Tuesday :)
    I will ask the trainer about how to work around my sore back: where to strengthen, what to avoid.
    default Posts: 124 Member
    Options
    starting strength by mark rippletoe
  • charkane
    charkane Posts: 26 Member
    Options
    What happened to the BMI scale, cant find it.. Is it gone or am I just not seeing it?
  • guardian419
    guardian419 Posts: 391 Member
    Options
    If you're just starting out, compound exercises are your best bet.

If you have lower back issues, well... you know what you can and can't do, but go for compounds wherever you can. If it's not enough, THEN start putting 'isolation' moves into it... and listen to your trainer :)
  • SurfyFriend
    Options
    The "large collection of information for beginners" is really really helpful and has lots of things I need to know!
  • kelly_e_montana
    kelly_e_montana Posts: 1,999 Member
    Options
    This sounds hokey but if you are really, really a beginner, you can look at Weight Training for Dummies to understand the exercises and definitely get at least one training session so you know you are doing things properly (and your machines are set right if you use any).
  • Graceious1
    Graceious1 Posts: 716 Member
    Options
    Body pump classes are an excellent introduction to strength training. My friend runs them and introduced me to it. They are excellent.
  • SKINNYMESOON2B
    SKINNYMESOON2B Posts: 112 Member
    Options
    my cousin is a licensed personal trainer and if you are looking to tone and not gain muscle lifting heavy weights is not the way to go. Toning is lighter weights and more reps. just be safe. You can really hurt yourself and or gain muscle toning will also give you muscle but it burns your fat into muscle and well tones....
  • chubbygirl253
    chubbygirl253 Posts: 1,309 Member
    Options
    I do my strength training through the Y I go to using Activtrax. Check out the Activtrax website
  • RikanSoulja
    RikanSoulja Posts: 463 Member
    Options
    my cousin is a licensed personal trainer and if you are looking to tone and not gain muscle lifting heavy weights is not the way to go. Toning is lighter weights and more reps. just be safe. You can really hurt yourself and or gain muscle toning will also give you muscle but it burns your fat into muscle and well tones....

lol