Convince me (or not) that Paleo makes sense

Options

Replies

• FrenchMob
    FrenchMob Posts: 1,167 Member
    Options
    Back in those days, men use to beat women on the head with clubs, drag them to the cave, and rape them. Should we go back to that also?

Is there any evidence that cavemen lived healthy passed 100 years old? I highly doubt it.

Nuff' said.
  • WendyTerry420
    WendyTerry420 Posts: 13,274 Member
    Options
    Hi All,

I have never really understood the 'paleo' basics. Besides the fact that semantically the diet makes little sense I want the reason why things like legumes, peanut butter, potatoes, dairy are off limits. I can go with the idea that gains aren't the purest form of what we should be eating (even if I don't adhere and eat whole grains) and even dairy to some extent but I struggle intuitively with the other stuff.

I also am not looking for "I eat paleo and feel great" but more concrete reasons why physically we as a species should not consume these items. If you tell me it has a certain effect on the body I would like a medical study I can look at to learn more.

Finally, I often get the impression Paleo is a bit 'all or nothing'. There are certain non-Paelo items I will never give up. Full stop. Is there benefit/room for a modified version?

If you can't give up peanuts, beans, any kind of dairy, sugar, grains of any type, then you may as well forget trying paleo. Maybe try to just eat as much whole foods as you can and limit your pre-processed/packaged stuff and your sugar intake to less than 20% of your diet.

Then be happy that you feel so healthy after about 30 days of it! :flowerforyou:
  • Dave198lbs
    Dave198lbs Posts: 8,810 Member
    Options

I wanted a CURATED list of resources. Seeing as the internet is a large place full of unfiltered content. I'm sure you're well aware of that.

and so you ask this group? I call B S !!!!
  • DaniJeanine
    DaniJeanine Posts: 473 Member
    Options
    Back in those days, men use to beat women on the head with clubs, drag them to the cave, and rape them. Should we go back to that also?

Is there any evidence that cavemen lived healthy passed 100 years old? I highly doubt it.

Nuff' said.

Yep. I'm with you. lol
  • amy1612
    amy1612 Posts: 1,356 Member
    Options
    See, took all of 40 mins :laugh:
  • chuisle
    chuisle Posts: 1,052 Member
    Options

I wanted a CURATED list of resources. Seeing as the internet is a large place full of unfiltered content. I'm sure you're well aware of that.

and so you ask this group? I call B S !!!!

Yeahhhhh...When I've been off the forums for a while I forget how they get. Guilty as charged for a stupid attempt.
  • glonigan
    Options
    I agree with some of the other posters in this thread in their responses. I do stick to a mostly Paleo diet and have had some great results with the amount of energy I have and less bloat/weight loss.

A couple of issues I have:
    1. From what I recall in world history, man/woman has been cultivating and eating grains for at least the last 2500 years without being obese. So based on history, I do not understand how whole grains are not Paleo.
    2. Whey protein is generally acceptable to intake even though it is a product that is a result of dairy production, but no cheese is allowed?

Now for the overall premise of eating more natural/less processed foods I 100% agree. I think if you can take one thing away from my Paleo experience, it would be that I have seen amazing results in energy, mood, weight loss, and overall fitness by moving to a less processed more natural diet that some may call "Paleo". Also the recipes in the book are amazing and have opened up our food selection/variety.

Best of luck to you.
  • WendyTerry420
    Options

I also am not looking for "I eat paleo and feel great" but more concrete reasons why physically we as a species should not consume these items. If you tell me it has a certain effect on the body I would like a medical study I can look at to learn more.

Such studies do not exist. :wink:
  • Akimajuktuq
    Akimajuktuq Posts: 3,037 Member
    Options
    These kinds of posts just invite attacks. I tire of having my personal experience discredited and ridiculed. Perhaps you should join a paleo/primal group and ask questions there? We are happy to help if the interest is genuine. Also, there is lots of research out there and lots of books (with valid sources) that you could read.

I have resolved many health issues, some of them life-threatening, by changing my diet. A wonderful side effect is the steady weight loss while never, ever being hungry (unless it's real hunger). I LOVE how I eat.

Edit: eat how you want, but if you really want to know how it feels on this lifestyle, a "modified" version is NOT effective. If you have foods that you will never give up, no matter what, this way of eating is likely not sustainable for you.
  • Dave198lbs
    Dave198lbs Posts: 8,810 Member
    Options
    These kinds of posts just invite attacks. I tire of having my personal experience discredited and ridiculed. Perhaps you should join a paleo/primal group and ask questions there? We are happy to help if the interest is genuine. Also, there is lots of research out there and lots of books (with valid sources) that you could read.

I have resolved many health issues, some of them life-threatening, by changing my diet. A wonderful side effect is the steady weight loss while never, ever being hungry (unless it's real hunger). I LOVE how I eat.

CHEERS!

Now go fry us up a big mess of real bacon!

CHOP CHOP!
  • DanaDark
    DanaDark Posts: 2,187 Member
    Options
    Humans have been eating grains for a significant amount of time (specific teeth developed solely for that purpose).

Any and all "diets" revolve around blaming one set of food or foods for ALL the weight problems. Yeah, whole grains, potatoes, and rice makes us fat. That is exactly why medieval Europe and Asia were completely fully of obese citizens.

However, any diet that does restrict foods tends to offer some success. The sheer act of restricting an items wholesale that the person usually does consume will almost always result in fewer calories being consumed.

Humans did NOT get to where we are in the food chain by being finicky eaters. So the whole idea that all this stuff is toxic to us is also ridiculous.

If you find yourself intolerant or allergic to certain items (Dairy, gluten, peanuts, etc.) then obviously avoid those. Otherwise, there is no reason to adhere to a specific restrictive diet unless it only restricts calories or restricts foods you have a moral reason to avoid (Some vegetarians come to mind).
  • Akimajuktuq
    Akimajuktuq Posts: 3,037 Member
    Options
    I don't know much, but I had a good friend who was Paleo that told me one at a bar night "Red wine and Guinness are Paleo!"

Hmmmmmm.

That lead me to believe that it was a contradiction--I can have wine but I can't have a piece of fruit? I'm going to assume the cavemen weren't enjoying a nice cold Guinness draft on their days off.

Also, do we realize how different we are from Paleolithic era cavemen? We are not the same as they were, in any way. So, it's a hard sell for me to believe that I should get in touch with my primal roots for optimum health.

That being said, feel free to prove me wrong with facts. These are just my general impressions from my exposure to the diet.

You really choose to judge the lifestyle based on one person's justifications for what they eat? I do what works for me, sometimes it includes a food that isn't completely "paleo" such as red wine, but I don't justify it. I'm actually a little more "primal" than "paleo" but all of those terms are pretty meaningless; I just eat what is healthy for ME.

Please, do some research. Paleo includes fruit. And, newsflash, humans are still genetically the same as pre-agriculture. Evolution does not occur in 10,000 years (you could double check with anthropological archaeologists on that). The way we eat now bears NO resemblance to our original hunter/gatherer diet. But don't take my word for it, you can do what I did, RESEARCH. History, anthropology, politics, nutrition, biology, etc. Fascinating stuff, really. And, don't just stick your nose in a book, go get some real life experience and check out your aboriginal neighbours (if they weren't completely obliterated). Trust me, they know a thing or two about how the world works.
  • Desmonema
    Desmonema Posts: 175 Member
    Options
    Read 'It starts with food' and you will get all the reasons and science behind the whole elimination of certain foods. Afterwards you can decide for yourself whether it makes sense for you or not.
  • BigGuy47
    BigGuy47 Posts: 1,768 Member
    Options
    A Paleo diet is very low carbs.
    A side effect of going low carb is being irritable.
    Discussions on the internet can make you irritable.

Already irritable + Paleo diet (more irritable) + internet access (even more irritable) = Uh Oh. This isn't going to turn out well.
  • amy1612
    amy1612 Posts: 1,356 Member
    Options

Already irritable + Paleo diet (more irritable) + internet access (even more irritable) = Uh Oh. This isn't going to turn out well.

It isnt, and doesnt have to be low carb.
  • jofjltncb6
    jofjltncb6 Posts: 34,415 Member
    Options

Is 150g of carbs daily considered "very low carb"? I seldom fall below that amount.

And I'm definitely not irritable.

I guess I'm doing it wrong.
  • WendyTerry420
    Options

:laugh:
  • ThatNeuroGuy
    ThatNeuroGuy Posts: 16 Member
    Options
    Hi All,

I have never really understood the 'paleo' basics. Besides the fact that semantically the diet makes little sense I want the reason why things like legumes, peanut butter, potatoes, dairy are off limits. I can go with the idea that gains aren't the purest form of what we should be eating (even if I don't adhere and eat whole grains) and even dairy to some extent but I struggle intuitively with the other stuff.

Finally, I often get the impression Paleo is a bit 'all or nothing'. There are certain non-Paelo items I will never give up. Full stop. Is there benefit/room for a modified version?

IMHO, it comes down to portions. Not one specific group of foods; be it protein/carb/fats.

That being said... I am following a path of nutritional ketosis and the ingestion of carbs knocks down the levels of beta-hydroxy buterate (BHOB) due to the increased levels of insulin that result from the carbs being eaten. Hence I eliminate carbs for the most part (~5% of my caloric intake instead of around 60-65%).

There's a plethora of information on ketogenic diets here: www.reddit.com/r/keto It has a simple FAQ and citations to literature if you're interested in that. It is not the same as the Paleo diet though. Keto allows nuts and dairy but shys away from most fruits (sugars in them).

Paleo in it's natural state is really just a plan of how to eat foods. You simply strive to eliminate pre-agricultural products from your diet.... essentially no processed foods. It is not designed around being a weight loss miracle, it doesn't ascribe to a certain marconutrient ratio make up (keto does) and it certainly isn't designed to induce ketosis (but it can occur if you don't have carbs from fruits to offset the lack of processed grains/sugars).

All in all you could consider the paleo (paleolithic for long names) diet as the "ancestor" diet. Just imagine modelling the foods you allow to be available to yourself based off of seasonal availability. Strive for grass fed meat sources, free range chicken and egg, etc.

Ultimately it's trying to get away from processed foods that our bodies aren't so readily adapted to eating and efficiently digesting. It works great for some and not so much for others.
  • ThatNeuroGuy
    ThatNeuroGuy Posts: 16 Member
    Options

Is 150g of carbs daily considered "very low carb"? I seldom fall below that amount.

And I'm definitely not irritable.

I guess I'm doing it wrong.

In reality consider it in relation to your total daily caloric intake. I target roughly 5% of my calories to be from carb sources and that turns out to be just above 20g per day.

On average you can expect the body to get 4 calories per gram of carb or protein and a whopping 9 calories per gram of fat. Alcohol also sports around 7 calories per gram as well.
  • PhilyPhresh
    PhilyPhresh Posts: 600 Member
    Options

All I can say here is "Wrong"... Unless "very low" means under 80%...

A side effect of going high carb "is" irritability of the bowel.

I'll give you that one... :laugh: