Race etiquette

Options

Replies

• 3dogsrunning
    3dogsrunning Posts: 27,167 Member
    Options
    (wrong quote)

As a race director for a smaller race and a committee member for a larger marathon race weekend, I can assure you that throwing cups in the garbage is not expected. Part of the duties of the water stop volunteers is to pick up the cups and they are aware of that.

The "don't wear the race tshirt thing" I've never considered etiquette. For me, it's a superstitio, as in I don't wear the race shirtunlike I complete the race, so I don't. I also tend to associate it with new runners as they usually do. But I just ran a race in Spain where the vast majority of the runners wore the race tshirt (it was a tech), and there weren't a lot of "newbies".
  • lporter229
    lporter229 Posts: 4,907 Member
    Options

The "don't wear the race tshirt thing" I've never considered etiquette. For me, it's a superstition so I don't. I also tend to associate it with new runners as they usually do.
    Agreed. i have a bit of an issue wearing a t-shirt for a race I haven't finished yet. Kind of like putting the cart before the horse so to speak.
  • catpow2
    catpow2 Posts: 206 Member
    Options
    I've done both--with ipod and without. When I do a race with, I always keep the volume lower than I normally would, and I hold it in my hand as I run so I can turn it off quickly if I need to. And it is very cool to be able to hear people cheering you on so... you may only want to use it sporadically. As others have mentioned, just be aware of the other runners and you'll be fine.
  • ashley2586
    ashley2586 Posts: 50 Member
    Options
    Check to see if it is allowed. Many organizations do not allow you to listen to music while running because it is a huge safety risk. You cannot hear who is around you!

I know that I haven't found a single cross-country running organization that allows them for that reason.

What about deaf runners?? are they not allowed bc they cannot hear who is around them? I think it is a silly rule...I would listen to music, for some reason it helps my breathing. (having asthma and heart issues, I tend to focus on breathing and heart rate and start to panic, the music takes my mind off of it.)
  • AmyRhubarb
    AmyRhubarb Posts: 6,890 Member
    Options
    First...Brandyk77 - why can't you wear the race shirt during the race?

It's just one of those things runners do. Unless it's a fun run for a charity wearing your race shirt shouts Newbie to the veteran racers.
    I took this advice in the first 5k I ever did - and I was one of the very few NOT wearing the race shirt during the race. :tongue: And I suppose it was because it was to benefit the sponsor of the race, so a charity thing in this case. But bring it just in case you want to slip it on if everyone else is wearing theirs. :)
  • LoosingMyLast15
    LoosingMyLast15 Posts: 1,457 Member
    Options

Final pet peeve: Line up at the start in an appropriate position.

i read this and my first thought was yes in the appropriate position - STANDING AND FACING THE START sign. LOL!
  • secretlobster
    secretlobster Posts: 3,566 Member
    Options
    What about deaf runners?? are they not allowed bc they cannot hear who is around them? I think it is a silly rule...I would listen to music, for some reason it helps my breathing. (having asthma and heart issues, I tend to focus on breathing and heart rate and start to panic, the music takes my mind off of it.)

I went to a school that shared a campus with the National Technical Institute for the Deaf. Made lots of friends and even learned some ASL :) What I will say is this: Deaf runners have more physical self-awareness than anyone else I've met. People who are used to being able to hear their environment are more apt to tune it out when they're listening to their iPod.
  • scott091501
    scott091501 Posts: 1,260 Member
    Options
    Check to see if it is allowed. Many organizations do not allow you to listen to music while running because it is a huge safety risk. You cannot hear who is around you!

I know that I haven't found a single cross-country running organization that allows them for that reason.

Deaf runners have developed hypersensitivity with other senses due to being deaf. Silly analogy. Even more than not being able to hear fellow competitors it has to do with not being able to hear emergency personnel or other potential hazards that occur from time to time on a course.
  • arc918
    arc918 Posts: 2,037 Member
    Options
    If you have time to update your FB or MFP status during the race, you aren't working hard enough...
  • wolfchild59
    wolfchild59 Posts: 2,608 Member
    Options
    I personally would never wear a race shirt at the race itself. For me it's a mental thing of having to earn the right to wear that shirt before I actually wear it.

But, admittedly, I also view anyone on the course wearing the shirts as a noob. :ohwell:
  • penrbrown
    penrbrown Posts: 2,685 Member
    Options
    Oh! HAH! I'm so embarrassed. I thought this was a RACIAL thread...

:blushing:

*sneaks out to find more controversial topics*
  • 3dogsrunning
    Options

I get the music thing, I run with music, except at races. But it boils down to liability. The problem isn't everyone, but those who choose not to be wise about it. I don't think the deaf runner is comparable, since they spend their everyday lives compensating for the lack of hearing and are more than aware of the issues that come with being in a crowd and safety. The problem lies with those runners who turn their headphones up and do not pay attention to wear they are.
    Headphones are optional. Accidents that occur because of their use is therefore avoidable. Deafness is not. We live in a society where lawsuits are common place. Many runs are non-profit and barely scrap by put on by people who cannot afford to go through a lawsuit. It is much each to discourage or outright ban headphones to avoid that.
  • _VoV
    _VoV Posts: 1,494 Member
    Options
    Oh! HAH! I'm so embarrassed. I thought this was a RACIAL thread...

:blushing:

*sneaks out to find more controversial topics*

Haha! I thought that too.
  • 3dogsrunning
    Options
    If you have time to update your FB or MFP status during the race, you aren't working hard enough...

Or ask what breed of dog the guy waking near the finish line has :blushing:

But I didn't stop to pet him.
  • LorinaLynn
    LorinaLynn Posts: 13,247 Member
    Options
    I run with music, and I've never NOT heard someone coming up behind me.

Well, once I thought someone was coming up behind me, but it turns out it was my own pounding heartbeat in my ear. :blushing:

But seriously, I keep it low. I can hear other runners, dogs, traffic, people's televisions inside their houses, people vacuuming inside their houses, air conditioners humming, birds chirping, pins dropping, moths farting... everything.

I did text my husband during my last race. I already gave up on getting a PR, so I took walk breaks, and didn't want him worried when I didn't show up at the finish line at my predicted time. But it was with voice recognition texting... I didn't type it out.
  • RunnerInVT
    RunnerInVT Posts: 226 Member
    Options
    I once wore a shirt before washing it and got a terrible rash! My son did also. The Dr. Said it is from the chemicals used at the factory. Its a gamble who will become infected. I wont ever wear clothing before washing. Had to take a prescription to get rid of it.
    also our race website said NO headphones and a few do anyway. I think it is rude.
    enjoy the experience ...nothing like it!!
  • Type1Rachelle
    Options
    I've run with music during longer races where I wasn't pushing it. I ran a marathon injured last year and KNEW it would take me 5+ hours to get to the finish line so I just zoned out and listened to a fun playlist. But if you're looking to PR or take the race seriously, I wouldn't wear them. Technically, you'll be hard pressed to find a race that officially allows them - some races just turn a blind eye, but for safety reasons they're discouraged. You will see plenty of people out on the course wearing headphones though so I wouldn't consider this an etiquette thing, more of a question of are you looking to haul *kitten* and PR and are you aware of your surroundings (i.e. know the course inside and out) enough to warrant wearing them. If you do, keep the volume low enough that you can hear people around you.

As for other etiquette, thank the volunteers - every single one of them. They are what makes the race possible. Wait for the aid stations to empty your pockets of gel wrappers and the like (don't just throw them anywhere on the course), don't worry about throwing the cups on the ground, as long as it's in the general area... if you're slowing down for water, realize there are other people coming in fast behind you so try to get out of the way... no matter how fast you are, generally stay to the right and pass others on the left - if you feel you have to slow down, move quickly to the right to let the people behind you pass.
  • Type1Rachelle
    Options
    I personally would never wear a race shirt at the race itself. For me it's a mental thing of having to earn the right to wear that shirt before I actually wear it.

But, admittedly, I also view anyone on the course wearing the shirts as a noob. :ohwell:

haha, I agree with this... I happen to think it's bad luck - setting yourself up for a bad race if you wear the race shirt to the actual race. remember that scene in PCU? Don't be that guy! http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GgFcl3BrJpU
  • tsh0ck
    tsh0ck Posts: 1,970 Member
    Options
    I run with music, and I've never NOT heard someone coming up behind me.

Well, once I thought someone was coming up behind me, but it turns out it was my own pounding heartbeat in my ear. :blushing:

But seriously, I keep it low. I can hear other runners, dogs, traffic, people's televisions inside their houses, people vacuuming inside their houses, air conditioners humming, birds chirping, pins dropping, moths farting... everything.

same. I have a hard time running without music, honestly. helps me get into a bit of a zone. keep it low and you're fine. and if they make any kind of big deal about it, as has been said, pop one ear bud out. "enjoy the experience?" meh. my enjoyable moment is finishing in a faster time this time than I did the last. I'm not going to be rude, of course, but I'm also there for me.

non-etiquette stuff ...

don't wear cotton. if you're at all like me, you'll be a sweaty mess, and the shirt it just horribly uncomfortable by the end.

if there is a second water-station table, go to that one. the newer runners will all flock to that first table, and you'll often get in a log jam. sometimes even wind up at a stand-still if you hit with a bigger group. sometimes, there are stations on the left, too. those are also not as used.

double knot your shoes. nothing more irritating that getting into a good rhythm and then having to stop to tie a shoe.
  • wolfgate
    wolfgate Posts: 321 Member
    Options
    LOL! I have my new psychological weapon. For my 5k PR attempt this December, I'm going to show up with the race shirt on. I may even have my number pinned to my back. Then I'll line up at the front - and I'll be sure to ask some people around me if it's their first 5k.

All my age group competition will think I'm the noob and not take me seriously - until it's too late and I defeat them all!!