THROW AWAY THE SCALE!

Options
13»

Replies

• CoachReddy
    CoachReddy Posts: 3,949 Member
    Options
    Lol i dont think he means literally throw away your scale, hes just giving advice into not taking to heart too much what the scale saya or come to rely too much on what the scale says.

haha thanks for clearing that up. :P
  • vienna26
    vienna26 Posts: 115 Member
    Options
    Lol i dont think he means literally throw away your scale, hes just giving advice into not taking to heart too much what the scale saya or come to rely too much on what the scale says.

haha thanks for clearing that up. :P

Your welcome haha ;)
  • ChitownFoodie
    ChitownFoodie Posts: 1,562 Member
    Options
    I hate the scale, but only weigh myself because I want to gain weight. Great post! :happy:
  • gemmaldavies
    Options
    :flowerforyou: :flowerforyou: :flowerforyou:
  • readthat
    readthat Posts: 136
    Options
    Thanks for this post! I am down to my last 10 lbs. The scale seems to be moving much slower than before, but I feel great. I am shrinking in size and lifting heavier. So I think instead of my daily weigh ins, I might switch to a monthly or every two months. Great motivating post!!
  • ash190489
    ash190489 Posts: 587 Member
    Options
    Yes, scale doesn't motivates me, but when I look in the mirror, and I can see and feel all the changes, that's the thing.:)

I am not sure if the scale motivates me either... I mean I check in every week or two, and when it's a lower number I am happy, but then it's almost like a free pass to eat what I want and then the next week I am up again...

I definitely get more motivation when I have a good look at myself in the mirror and think about the things I like and things I am noticing changes with... :smile: cuz when the scales go up, my feelings go down and motivation is somewhat lost... when they go down my feels go up and my food intake seems to also go up! So yes, the scales are = :noway:
  • Sabrina__26
    Options
    Great post. I completely agree with this although I still rely on numbers somewhat as I know when I looked and felt good and would like to get to around that number again.

After years of weighing myself on a daily basis when trying to lose weight (sometimes twice daily), I now only weigh myself once a month. That way I don't get so preoccupied with numbers and don't get demotivated when the scale shows I've not lost weight, or even worse gained weight. I rely more now on how I feel and how my clothes fit.
  • Jocosase
    Jocosase Posts: 82 Member
    Options
    Thank you for the advise. I am going to put away my scale because I do think it takes away some of my motivation when I jump on it like I did this morning and did not see a large decrease as I was expecting to see.

I did not see a decrease in weight and got a little down on myself, but I reminded myself that I am loosing weight because I started wearing a belt that was not fitting me just several weeks ago. So something is changing.

Plus, the scale never gives me the right reading. Depending on how I stand, feet position, and degree of body leaning, it gives me a different reading all every time.

Thanks for the advise once again.
  • French_Hater
    Options
    I paid $60 for my scale and it gives me some valuable information every time I step on it (and hold the hand grips). I think I'll keep it, thanks.

IT TELLS YOU TO EAT LESS?
  • PetulantOne
    PetulantOne Posts: 2,131 Member
    Options
    This will disappoint you, but I'm keeping my scale and daily weigh-ins. Despite my failures at math, I like crunching data and looking at weekly and monthly averages. The more data I have, the more accurate (I feel) my long-term outlooks are. I can see on a daily basis what I need to tweak to keep the weight dropping.

I do the same thing, I'm pretty good at math though. I do weekly averages and all that. But I also understand all the things that affect the scale weight. And I track measurements and take pictures. I get much more excited at losing inches. :happy:
  • CoachReddy
    CoachReddy Posts: 3,949 Member
    Options
    is it wrong to bump your own thread? ;)
  • blwalton70
    blwalton70 Posts: 71 Member
    Options
    THANK YOU! I really really really needed to hear this message today! Last week I lost 2.4 pounds and was .2 pounds away from my first goal weight, but I gained it all back this week. I weighed in yesterday and do every friday. I am seriously depressed. All because of that STUPID number on the scale! I need to make sure it doesn't define me! I have to remember that fact that NONE of my pants fit because they are all HUGE, I have to remember that 6 months ago, I wouldn't have been able to run a 10k in an hour and play a soccer game all in the same day! I am a machine! I am healthy! I could go outside right vthis very min and run over 10 miles! I have value, I have worth and a number on the scale won't change that unless I let it!

Again, thank you for this! It really is important to be healthy and have a good lifestyle!
  • yoovie
    yoovie Posts: 17,121 Member
    Options
    is it wrong to bump your own thread? ;)

newp
  • missyjg99
    missyjg99 Posts: 246 Member
    Options
    It's very easy to say "don't worry about the number on the scale". However, society revolves around the number. I've lost weight, 40 pounds exactly and I'm getting compliments. I'm proud of the fact that I've gone from a size 20 to a 12 moreso then the fact I've lost 40lbs. People only care about the number, and how much more you have to go. Insurance companies and doctors offices don't worry about your fitness level, number of miles you run a week or the amount of weight you lift. They only worry about the number; what's your weight. And then you are compared to every other person and given a label. It's a bit deflating but I trudge on.

Personally, I was addicted to the scale. I would step on it 4x daily and would cry when I didn't lose 2lbs a week. But this isn't the lifestyle I wanted. If I'm going to do this for the rest of my life, then I needed something that worked for me. I didn't throw the scale out (I did want to blow it up a few times) but now I step on it weekly. I gained a lb this week but I didn't freak out, I just realized it's water retention b/c my pants are fitting looser so something is changing for the better in my body. I was a prisoner of my weight and was trading that in to be a prisoner of my scale?? NO Thanks!

Edited for typo's but please excuse poor grammer since I type from my phone.
  • stbrad6896
    Options
    I get what you're saying but I think the point of the post was to cheer some people up, and the facts are that you can count calories and track weight lost on the scale but it doesn't give you a full understanding of your body and health. I watch what I eat and I like to use MFP because keeping a food log is what helps motivate me to eat well and control my portions. I also weigh myself (though not every day) and even so, it's easy to let the numbers get to you. I don't care if the scale says 200lbs a year from now as long as I look and feel better and drop a few clothing sizes. Besides I'm convinced that some scales can't be trusted.........hehehe