Convince me (or not) that Paleo makes sense

Options

Replies

• Cr01502
    Cr01502 Posts: 3,614 Member
    Options
    I am against it. Why? Because it is not a diet that is environmentally sustainable in a world with 7 billion people. It's also expensive - beans are a big part of my diet because I can't afford to eat meat and fresh vegetables every day. Finally, I would never join a religion or a diet that does not allow me to eat all the wonderful foods on earth. If I was the kind of person who could just give up cheese, pie, biscuits, waffles, etc., I probably wouldn't be overweight in the first place. I would rather die than go Paleo.

I just read that entire thing in your Simpson character's voice. Was that intentional?

If so, well played.
  • Akimajuktuq
    Akimajuktuq Posts: 3,037 Member
    Options
    there sure are a lot of pretentious people on this site. This person wasn't trying to start an argument, they were just asking for some scientific evidence either for or against paleo diet. I am not going to mention what I think either way, because I don't want to argue. And i am sorry I don't have any evidence to help you out. But seriously, why do so many of you bother to answer with nothing but opinions? I think it is facts that they are after!

Even you know what happens when someone starts one of these threads :laugh:

And I think to answer your question as why no one gives facts over opinions is kinda rhetorical isn't it? I mean the whole topic is based on scientific data, aka, opinions. The only fact about scientific data is that it proves itself wrong day in and day out. You can go study for yourself a number of different things dealing with the Paleolithic era (as well and just about any subject) and it doesn't matter how much you read or how much you "know", you will always find someone who read or "knows" the exact opposite you do... So really, this whole thread (and most threads at that) IS nothing more than an invitation for people to argue and act like, well... cave men...

Great post and I agree. "If your science doesn't match my science, then your science is invalid". lol That's why I speak from personal experience and people still work hard to invalidate me. Yes I have done thousands of hours of research into every subject imaginable, and there is always contradictory information. Because we are human! Because we have agendas! Because we find what we expect/want to find! I used to be a card-carrying high carb/low fat dieter; how DID I change my views?! Because it wasn't working, I was getting sicker, and I opened my mind and looked at research beyond the research that I already agreed with. And then I TRIED something completely different!
  • WendyTerry420
    WendyTerry420 Posts: 13,274 Member
    Options
    I am against it. Why? Because it is not a diet that is environmentally sustainable in a world with 7 billion people. It's also expensive - beans are a big part of my diet because I can't afford to eat meat and fresh vegetables every day. Finally, I would never join a religion or a diet that does not allow me to eat all the wonderful foods on earth. If I was the kind of person who could just give up cheese, pie, biscuits, waffles, etc., I probably wouldn't be overweight in the first place. I would rather die than go Paleo.

^^^ This

I left the church where I was raised for this very reason. No one tells me what I can or can't put in my own body. :drinker:

That's really ironic, because you seem to have some personal vendetta with people who eat differently than you when they choose to share about personal experiences when asked; for instance, this post. You are always out in full force trying to discredit anyone paleo/primal. I'm not telling people what to eat, I am telling them about my OWN EXPERIENCE.

I think you are simply too defensive. You seem to get offended that others choose eating habits different from your own.
  • secretlobster
    secretlobster Posts: 3,566 Member
    Options
    I think you are simply too defensive. You seem to get offended that others choose eating habits different from your own.

The amount you post in paleo threads, you'd think they were giving away free cake
  • jofjltncb6
    jofjltncb6 Posts: 34,415 Member
    Options

...says the person who dominates every paleo thread on MFP.
  • WendyTerry420
    Options
    there sure are a lot of pretentious people on this site. This person wasn't trying to start an argument, they were just asking for some scientific evidence either for or against paleo diet. I am not going to mention what I think either way, because I don't want to argue. And i am sorry I don't have any evidence to help you out. But seriously, why do so many of you bother to answer with nothing but opinions? I think it is facts that they are after!

Maybe because there is no such thing as a scientific study on the new paleo diet? Perhaps that's why there's nothing but opinions? :flowerforyou:

Opinions are like @ssholes...everyone has one and they all stink! :laugh:

Yep! :laugh:
  • WendyTerry420
    Options

The amount you post in paleo threads, you'd think they were giving away free cake

:laugh:

I had free cake earlier at work, in fact. There's nothing like free cake. I have several friends that do the paleo diet. I will say that they are more fun than many of the paleo folks on MFP. At least when I yell "Cake!" they yell back "Bacon!" and we laugh. Too many on MFP really need to get a sense of humor.
  • AmberJo1984
    AmberJo1984 Posts: 1,067 Member
    Options
    I'm interested in hearing what everyone has to say. I'll have to read this later.
  • aftergypsies
    aftergypsies Posts: 248 Member
    Options
    To each his own. I couldn't do Paleo. If someone else wants to eat that way, it's all good but it's not for me. I need potatoes and dairy and bread. lol.
  • sullykat
    sullykat Posts: 461 Member
    Options
    If you really ask yourself, what is Paleo taking away?, and think about the kinds of allergies and sensitivities that run rampant through society, you will find what you are looking for.

Peanut allergies - peanuts are legumes, take legumes away, and you wouldn't have to worry about the dreaded peanut allergy
    Lactose intolerance - take away dairy, and you wouldn't have to worry about incredible stomach cramps bloating and all those other crappy (pun intended) symptoms of lactose intolerance
    Gluten intolerance/celiac - take away refined grains and you wouldn't have to worry about the ickeyness that goes along with gluten problems (sorry, I don't know all the symptoms of gluten intolerance and/or celiac…)

For me, all it does is make sense. If so many people have these issues, then to me it is pretty clear that our bodies were not made to eat these things.

But hey, if it doesn't fit into your life style, and you don't have any food/digestion issues, then by all means, eat what you want.
  • Akimajuktuq
    Akimajuktuq Posts: 3,037 Member
    Options

Amen, brother.

(I am offended by people who think they know everything about something that they have never tried. Hey, Wendy, time to look at the post title again... to convince one AGAINST paleo, you should have at least tried it and share why it didn't work for you.)
  • PhilyPhresh
    PhilyPhresh Posts: 600 Member
    Options

AAAAAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA!!!! Bazinga!
  • PhilyPhresh
    PhilyPhresh Posts: 600 Member
    Options
    I'm interested in hearing what everyone has to say. I'll have to read this later.

If you are looking for helpful information... I would look elsewhere...

z2xiOWb_wUa2iCKlKsc2QQ2_zps379641b4.jpg
  • raystark
    raystark Posts: 403 Member
    Options
    <snip>

Finally, I often get the impression Paleo is a bit 'all or nothing'. There are certain non-Paelo items I will never give up. Full stop. Is there benefit/room for a modified version?

Yup.
  • BigGuy47
    BigGuy47 Posts: 1,768 Member
    Options
    Peanut allergies ...Lactose intolerance ...Gluten intolerance/celiac

For me, all it does is make sense. If so many people have these issues, then to me it is pretty clear that our bodies were not made to eat these things.
    With the exception of lactose intolerance, "Many people" don't have those issues.

1% of the population has Celiacs disease.
    1.3% of the population has peanut allergies.
    60% of the population has lactose intolerance.
  • caribougal
    caribougal Posts: 865 Member
    Options
    Peanut allergies ...Lactose intolerance ...Gluten intolerance/celiac

With the exception of lactose intolerance, "Many people" don't have those issues.

1% of the population has Celiacs disease.
    1.3% of the population has peanut allergies.
    60% of the population has lactose intolerance.

Current research to look at the prevalence of gluten sensitivity in the general population, as it is expected to be much higher than gluten intolerance as with Celiac.
    http://wholehealthsource.blogspot.com/2008/12/gluten-sensitivity-celiac-disease-is.html
  • mermer45
    mermer45 Posts: 77 Member
    Options
    The pales diet is typically relatively high in protein and high protein diets are correlated with high IGF-1 hormone readings. In turn, a high IGF-1 count is associated with various cancers, in particular prostrate cancer.

Cancers are mainly age related diseases. So having a high protein diet is probably ok for the young but makes much less sense for the middle aged or elderly because of these risks.

Of course, most of our ancestorrs died relatively young....so this diet probably worked well for them. However our society is very different with a much larger aged population..
  • kjjbean
    kjjbean Posts: 23 Member
    Options

LOL! You rock!
  • LPCoder
    LPCoder Posts: 404 Member
    Options
    Here are some abstracts to read:

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/22642064

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/22826636

This is a research study showing the Carbohydrate levels in processed grains (flours, wheats, etc...) have a higher caloric value as compared with the types of wheats and grains that paleo people would use. Because the amount consumed was so much less and there was no refinement process, the Fiber content consumed was vastly different than the refined flours we have today.

The Paleo diet removes such high and unnatural carbs from the diet. Many people will modify the strictness of the diet with less refined flours like flaxseed flour, almond flour and coconut flours, which are high in fiber, thus reducing the effects of carbs on the glycemic process in the body. Because the paleo diet is low glycemic, it is especially beneficial for diabetics who need to maintain their blood sugar levels.

Of course, all diets should be discussed with your doctor and no one diet is appropriate for all.
  • gauchogirl
    gauchogirl Posts: 467 Member
    Options
    i don't want to go too far in depth with this because i can tell the way this thread is going but....

i am paleo (i have cheat meals, whatever)

i have ever felt better than when i am following the paleo diet.

its not for everybody. it IS strict. but i personally feel great

^^ This would be my response too.

TO the OP though: I thought I was going through life feeling "fine" until I actually FELT GREAT and knew the difference was my mostly paleo diet. I don't get your "thanks for the condescending comments" remarks though. You're asking us to do the legwork so you don't have too. How do you think we figured it out? We read through all those links and abstracts and do the research and reading. For me, that IS part of paleo, that constant searching for what works best for me. If you're not willing to do that then you're right, Paleo is not for you. Part of paleo/primal culture is that there isn't always one size fits all. We're all tweakers to find what works best for us as individuals, fitted into a paleo framework.