Your results from the TDEE/BMR method?

Options

Replies

• jzammetti
    jzammetti Posts: 1,956 Member
    Options
    I always went lo calorie until I stalled for 4 months. Then I switched to TDEE and got off the plateau in 2 weeks (2 pounds down).

I eat at the TDEE of my goal weight (120) which is 1748 - 1900 depending upon exercise. I have MFP set to 1748 and when I eat those calories MFP tells me I will gain weight! BUT, MFP is wrong because I have been losing. Another pound in 10 days. So three and a half weeks and 3 more pounds down. I only have 9 left to go.
  • cristeberga
    cristeberga Posts: 251 Member
    Options
    Bump for later ....
  • rachelilb
    rachelilb Posts: 179 Member
    Options
    bump
  • miranda_mom
    miranda_mom Posts: 873 Member
    Options
    I've been doing TDEE minus 20% (but I have a LOT to lose, even more than my ticker says) for the past month. I lost five lbs. but I can feel incredible changes as far as muscles emerging and body composition.
  • cncrafton
    cncrafton Posts: 82 Member
    Options
    I am eating at a 20% cut from my TDEE of 2,800, so my goal is about 2,200. I am seeing great results. I've lost around 12 pounds in less than six weeks.

I have myself as lightly active and do not eat exercise calories back.
  • bgrune131
    bgrune131 Posts: 703 Member
    Options
    Bump!
  • Rays_Wife
    Rays_Wife Posts: 1,173 Member
    Options
    I started with MFP guidelines, lost 20 pounds then hit a plateau. I found out about BMR/TDEE and raised my calories accordingly. The following week I immediately lost weight, 2.5 pounds. (Some people do gain some when they first up their calories though, no big deal). Since then I have lost 40 more pounds eating between my BMR and TDEE. I re-evaluate my calorie needs every 5 pounds. Currently I am purposely eating right at TDEE to maintain but will cut back down 20% in a week or so. Previously while eating 20% under my TDEE, I was losing 1-2 pounds a week. My TDEE is 2400, so I will cut back down to 1900 soon. I lost the last 40 pounds eating between 1800-2200 cals. I also ran and lifted weights during that time. I've cut back the cardio since then to focus more on strength training.

It works!
  • Mischievous_Rascal
    Mischievous_Rascal Posts: 1,791 Member
    Options
    I honestly use TDEE at sedentary and then add in my exercises. This is more accurate than calculating TDEE at different activity levels.

For me...
    TDEE: 1810
    BMR: 1550
    Calories: 1345 (Before adding back exercise calories)

That had me losing 1 to 2 pounds a week. Some of that weight being water weight. I ate back HALF my exercise calories. I have stalled though for a while, but think I identified the problem (weeks of lack of sleep) and am trying to repair that to get things going.

Bump

I like this idea a lot! Thank you.
  • bobie1978
    bobie1978 Posts: 204 Member
    Options
    Not to be a downer.. but I tried losing with the TDEE. I didn't lose. I eat now between 1300-1500.. and if I workout and I am hungry I eat more. I understand people lose weight when they eat more.. but I don't think it is for everyone. I have been at a standstill for months. I lowered my calories and I have lost in a month. The days you workout I would follow the TDEE I would only eat the max. That is my opinion. Some lucky people might be able to eat the same calories and lose without knocking off calories on rest days. Hope that helps good luck!
  • krickeyuu
    krickeyuu Posts: 344 Member
    Options
    I was using another site and that site used TDEE (I didn't know that at the time.) I moved to MFP due to the larger database of foods and I was confused by the calories. I did the 1200 calories they put me at for about a month and plateaued. Went back to the TDEE method and it is working. Now I eat TDEE for my goal weight, sedentary (I have a desk job) and eat back my excercise calories. Steadily losing about .3 - .5 lbs per week. I am only 3 lbs. from my goal.
  • Dudagarcia
    Dudagarcia Posts: 849 Member
    Options
    Bump
  • jessmastrilli
    jessmastrilli Posts: 203 Member
    Options
    So far I have been using this method, eating 1600 calories a day. I am seeing a loss, and my official weigh-in for the week isn't until Monday, so I'm sure I will lose a bit more. As far as my husband, he has lost also. Excited for us to both weigh-in on Monday!! I will let you guys know! :)
  • daisyelaine
    daisyelaine Posts: 480 Member
    Options
    I honestly use TDEE at sedentary and then add in my exercises. This is more accurate than calculating TDEE at different activity levels.

For me...

That had me losing 1 to 2 pounds a week. Some of that weight being water weight. I ate back HALF my exercise calories. I have stalled though for a while, but think I identified the problem (weeks of lack of sleep) and am trying to repair that to get things going.

Bump

I like this idea a lot! Thank you.
    Ooooh,I like this too. With this though, do you make sure your net is above a certain number? Or, that your net is close to your BMR? I've tried doing the regular method with tdee and only gained.... but I have days where my burn varies from 300- 1000 cals. ( have a hrm, and teach fitness classes...)
  • LisaGirlfriend
    LisaGirlfriend Posts: 493 Member
    Options
    My BMR is 1450 and my TDEE is 2100. I was eating 1200 cals for the past year with ZERO results. I upped my calories to 1600 the past 4 weeks, stopped the crazy cardio classes, and upped my strength training and weights. I expected to gain weight for sure, but my weight is exactly the same eating all this extra food!! I'm really happy about that and think I may even go up another 100 to 1700 a day. I believe I will start losing again soon. :-)
  • yeahforme
    yeahforme Posts: 18 Member
    Options
    bump for later
  • tigs728
    tigs728 Posts: 18 Member
    Options
    Just launched into this approach over the last week. However, cals only increased from MFP 1200 to 1294 (due to shocking stats :embarassed: ) but will try for four weeks and see how it goes. Hoping I have the figures correct but think I have as checked several times - trying to extract more cals LOL. More exercise would do it of course. :wink:

I rarely see anyone with my sort of profile. Would be interested to hear if any other middle aged women with similar very low numbers for TDEE and BMR.
    F, 54
    C 79.2kg
    G 60kg
    BF 48.92% YIKES
    sedentary + Curves x3 pw
    TDEE 1717
    BMR 1245
    Daily cals 1294
  • claw0416
    Options
    BUMP
  • alexapin
    alexapin Posts: 14 Member
    Options
    Thanks everybody for your replies

This motivates to keep going, knowing this is the right path :)
  • amandaleigh_
    Options
    I've been on a plateau for a YEAR. Just maintaining, maintaining, maintaining when I have 15 more pounds to my next goal weight and another 15 pounds to my ultimate goal weight. Saying I was frustrated is an understatement. I did some Googling and stumbled upon the BMR/TDEE method on this forum. I researched my BMR (1466) and my TDEE (2272). I set MyFitnessPal to 1,800 cals (TDEE - 20%) instead of the 1,200 or 1,300 I was previously doing. I eat as close to my TDEE - 20% as possible and do not eat back my exercise calories. WHAT DO YOU KNOW? In 2 weeks I've lost 4.7 pounds. Like I said, I haven't seen the scale drop in a year! I'm hoping to continue seeing positive results. :)
  • rose313
    rose313 Posts: 1,146 Member
    Options

For me...

I do the same, I use TDEE at sedentary. My TDEE at sedentary using fitnessfrog is 1776, which is also the same goal MFP gives me if I set my stats to maintenance.

I eat at a 20% cut which is the same as what MFP tells me to eat, if I tell it I want to lose half a pound a week. So both methods give me the same plan, which makes me feel good, and not confused about all the numbers.

I'm supposed to eat my exercise calories back, and I was doing that for months, and I didn't lose weight. So I stopped eating them back and I'm still not losing any weight. I did however start a new exercise program where I'm burning a lot of calories, so I have been netting a little low. I'm going to give my body a couple more weeks to get used to this amount of exercise I'm doing and if I still don't lose weight, it's definitely time for me to eat more.