it's kinda hard for me to meet my calorie minimum...

Options
Eurgh guys.
MFP says I should be eating 2,000 calories daily, but I rarely reach half that...

The thing is, no, I am NOT starving myself.

I eat 3 full meals a day including an occasional snack like yogurt a few times a week.

I have a protein meal bar in the morning (190 calls), along with my multivitamin and supplements and head right to my classes because they begin at 8:30.

Then I'll finish, work out, which usually burns 300-500 calories depending on the day/duration, and have lunch, which this week has been a 5 oz. burger with lowfat cheese, a cup of broccoli and a cup of hashbrowns and some ketchup.... this ONLY comes out to 375 calories and it fills me up..

Then I'll have dinner, which this week has been 4 oz. of chicken, 2 cups of salad, another vegetable like peas or corn, and low-fat salad dressing, and this comes to 330.

As you can see, I'm far below my calorie limit, especially with my exercise calorie deficit.
It's not that I work out obsessively; I do an hour of either walking on the treadmill/DVDs each day depending on the day, and NEVER GO ABOVE 60 minutes. I just seemed to have worked out a meal plan that fills me up but is low on calories...

I just don't see why I should fit in another 1,000 calories when I'm not hungry. But I also don't want to destroy my body or something. So far I feel fine though, is this normal..?

Replies

• thatjulesgirl
    thatjulesgirl Posts: 200 Member
    Options
    I know what you mean - until recently I was struggling end up with a net calorie intake of more than about 1200 - 1300 calories. But I've been reading a book called New Rules of Lifting for Women (which is actually written by a man, who has written fitness and nutrition books for men too) and we're both doing ourselves a disservice to have that few calories. Try adding healthy fats to boost your calories - instead of a protein bar, have a protein shake and use real, whole milk to make it. That should add an extra 100 - 200 calories. Have full fat cheese, and maybe add an egg to your burger for extra protein.

I don't know what your work schedule is like but the best thing you can do is add mid-morning and mid-afternoon snacks. They don't have to be big, even just a yoghurt or some almonds, or a rice cake with peanut butter. That'll give you a few hundred extra calories, some added protein and calcium and some healthy fats. The idea is to boost your metabolism, so you're not going for long stretches with no food. I KNOW it feels wrong and counter-intuitive at first, but it's worth it. I'm already noticing a difference since I've added the snacks and made sure I was getting enough healthy fats. Do some research to find out what works for you and what makes sense, and good luck!!
  • sfxchris
    Options
    Good idea.
    I do have a lot of almonds and rice cakes lying around, but I just assumed that following my plan was fine because I was burning a lot of calories, eating consistently, seeing results, and feeling fine. I also have 1 - 2 cheat meals a week (1,000+ calories, usually on the weekends) and I heard those cheat meals are good for you as well, to reset your metabolism and stuff.
  • teagirlmedium
    teagirlmedium Posts: 679 Member
    Options
    For some people it is, but the amount seems low to me. If you decide to add some calories maybe you could try peanut butter on rits crackers, a vegetable stue may taste good, fruit for snacks, fruit juices with meals can help put some calories in your day.
  • thatjulesgirl
    thatjulesgirl Posts: 200 Member
    Options
    Good idea.
    I do have a lot of almonds and rice cakes lying around, but I just assumed that following my plan was fine because I was burning a lot of calories, eating consistently, seeing results, and feeling fine. I also have 1 - 2 cheat meals a week (1,000+ calories, usually on the weekends) and I heard those cheat meals are good for you as well, to reset your metabolism and stuff.

Sounds good to me! I also recommend starting to switch intense cardio for some weight training. You don't want to be burning off lean mass just to lose (a temptation we've all fallen for at some point). Might be worth checking out the author of the book I'm reading (he makes more sense, and has more current research to back up what he's saying than most crap I've read about weight loss / fitness). His name is Lou Schuler.

Sounds like you're on the right track though - heck, you've lost double what I have! :P
  • sfxchris
    Options
    Good idea.

Sounds good to me! I also recommend starting to switch intense cardio for some weight training. You don't want to be burning off lean mass just to lose (a temptation we've all fallen for at some point). Might be worth checking out the author of the book I'm reading (he makes more sense, and has more current research to back up what he's saying than most crap I've read about weight loss / fitness). His name is Lou Schuler.

Sounds like you're on the right track though - heck, you've lost double what I have! :P
    Yes I definitely need to focus on weight training at some point. This week I've been walking on the treadmill for 1/2 hr with a goal of 250 calories and then I'd take a 3 minute break, and get right into the 30 day shred routine, which is really screwing up my muscles but I love it. I have some adjustable weights in my room, I will start to use those more often!
  • MarcelineAbadeer
    MarcelineAbadeer Posts: 8 Member
    Options
    pfft you shouldn't care if your not reaches your calorie minimum, your losing weight aren't you? You're not starving yourself are you? Then it doesn't matter.
  • sfxchris
    Options
    For some people it is, but the amount seems low to me. If you decide to add some calories maybe you could try peanut butter on rits crackers, a vegetable stue may taste good, fruit for snacks, fruit juices with meals can help put some calories in your day.
    It definitely is low, which is why I'm partly concerned. I see everyone saying to not go under 1200 cals unless you're a 65 year old woman! I will definitely try to fit in more calories, but I don't want to add the full one thousand that I'm missing.
  • meshashesha2012
    meshashesha2012 Posts: 8,326 Member
    Options
    if you really want to meet your calories goal you just need to make small changes
    - stop eating lowfat cheese and eat the real stuff
    - put some avocado slices and mayo on that burger
    - make sure you're eating full fat yogurt like fage and not some low cal one
    - stop eating low fat dressing
    - eat 6 oz of chicken
    - replace the protein bar with a protein shake made with milk, protein powder and fruit
  • teagirlmedium
    teagirlmedium Posts: 679 Member
    Options
    Did you update your profile after you lost 40 pounds? I update mine when I hit my goal, maybe that will change your numbers some, it changed mine a little bit but I do it every 5 lbs lost or so. If you don't want to add the full 1000 then don't, or at least not yet, you can slowly build up to that if you want.
  • NeverGivesUp
    NeverGivesUp Posts: 960 Member
    Options
    The most important gift you can gift you can give to yourself in this journey is learning how to listen to your body.
  • YF92
    YF92 Posts: 2,893 Member
    Options
    I know the feeling lol. The Key is to add small additives to your every meal, a fruit, maybe some peanut butter or a small extra serving of what you're having. Adding things like milk and the like help too, just remember to eat the things that suit the type of diet you're following.
  • Graelwyn75
    Graelwyn75 Posts: 4,404 Member
    Options
    You are only 16 years old and a male. Do you want to screw up your metabolism and growth so young ? Get a grip and start eating more.
  • DeMarraDontStop
    DeMarraDontStop Posts: 342 Member
    Options
    The most important gift you can gift you can give to yourself in this journey is learning how to listen to your body.

I agree! If you are feeling good really feeling OK then do what's right for your body. If you are satisfied then don't eat if you need some extra then eat some extra. Do what works for you until it stops working and you have to switch it up!
  • sfxchris
    Options
    You are only 16 years old and a male. Do you want to screw up your metabolism and growth so young ? Get a grip and start eating more.
    right, but I'm not going to shove an extra 1,000 calories down my mouth simply because I don't have the time or desire to. I will take it slow
  • JesterMFP
    JesterMFP Posts: 3,596 Member
    Options
    My body told me I needed more food when I was massively overeating. Then it told me I wasn't hungry when I was on 800 cals a day. I would love to "listen to my body", but it's listening to my brain that has actually got me to a healthy weight for the first time ever.
  • Laoch_Cailin
    Laoch_Cailin Posts: 414 Member
    Options
    right, but I'm not going to shove an extra 1,000 calories down my mouth simply because I don't have the time or desire to. I will take it slow

I don't understand the point in this thread. You post you aren't meeting your calorie goals, but then you say you aren't going to even try????
  • stephdeeable
    stephdeeable Posts: 1,407 Member
    Options
    Sometimes I struggle to meet my 2000 cals, I'm eating a lot of food but most of what I eat has very few calories so sometimes it just doesn't add up.

I try to give myself a head start by eating a really big breakfast (500-600 cals). It doesn't have to be time consuming, peanut butter, greek yogurt or cottage cheese will add a nice amount of calories to breakfast, or prepare hard boiled eggs in advance.

Add nuts or seeds to salads or vegetables, cook something in olive oil, have a glass of milk.

I know it can be frustrating, it's like....how hard can it be to get to 2000 when I used to eat 4000-7000 calories a day, haha.
  • mzcooley
    Options
    I agree with you it hard for me as well to eat all my calorie too. The more I exercise the more calories I burn and get back I eat but the hardiest part of eat is sweets for me.
  • JesterMFP
    JesterMFP Posts: 3,596 Member
    Options
    I don't think anyone's suggesting you "shove food" into yourself. 2000 calories is not actually a huge target to aim for. 4000, yes, I could see how that would be more difficult, but 2000 is not that much, especially for a young male. You don't have to shovel food in, you can get there with a bit of planning, and accepting that you don't have to eat only "diet" food to lose weight. Some great suggestions have already been made. Basically, eat foods that are still nutritious, but are calorie-dense. Avocados, oily fish, full fat cheese, other dairy products - full fat, lean meats, nuts, nut butters, seeds, oils added to salads and cooking. Drinks like milk, nut milks, smoothies and protein shakes. It's not about eating such a quantity of food that you feel full and uncomfortable. Just like someone has to plan and adjust their diet to make it more low calorie, you can do the same to reach 2000.

It sounds like you're pretty active. At 16, you're probably still growing too. Give your body the nutrients, and energy, it needs to perform properly and be healthy. You've done a fantastic job so far in losing 41 lbs, but you don't have to drastically under-eat to get to your goal. From comments you've written elsewhere, it sounds like this might be more of a psychological issue, that you just don't want to eat that many calories.
  • uclown2002
    uclown2002 Posts: 79 Member
    Options
    This is a common theme here; people 'struggling' to reach their calorie goal. The vast majority of those don't appear interested in even trying.