Options
    Its not..

its just an excuse for people who dont want to eat healthy
    This. This. This.

Thread over.
  • msbunnie68
    msbunnie68 Posts: 1,894 Member
    Options
    I don't eat plants at all anymore, so for me, yeah it's a bit more expensive. I typically go through about $30 per day, but almost all of my food is meats, protein shakes, bars, and supplements. There are much cheaper ways to do things, but to me, plants are what food eats.

There are definitely cheap ways to eat decently, it just takes this little thing that so few people are willing to put forth anymore: effort.

Plants are what food eats??

I am picturing you as about 20 feet tall with little forearms, poor eyesight, long tail, powerful legs and great big teeth...
  • Gallowmere1984
    Gallowmere1984 Posts: 6,626 Member
    Options
    I don't eat plants at all anymore, so for me, yeah it's a bit more expensive. I typically go through about $30 per day, but almost all of my food is meats, protein shakes, bars, and supplements. There are much cheaper ways to do things, but to me, plants are what food eats.

There are definitely cheap ways to eat decently, it just takes this little thing that so few people are willing to put forth anymore: effort.

Plants are what food eats??

I am picturing you as about 20 feet tall with little forearms, poor eyesight, long tail, powerful legs and great big teeth...

So that's why I have little chicken claws for hands that make me have to use straps for heavy shrugging and deadlifts...now it all make sense. O_O
  • acf860
    acf860 Posts: 5
    Options
    It may seem more expensive but just think of the money you will save on doctor visits and medicines that you won't need because you are eating healthy!!!
  • Gallowmere1984
    Gallowmere1984 Posts: 6,626 Member
    Options
    It may seem more expensive but just think of the money you will save on doctor visits and medicines that you won't need because you are eating healthy!!!

You may have just inadvertently derailed this thread, but here I go.

I think this very thing you mentioned has a lot to do with why people don't take care of their bodies as much anymore. Everyone just thinks "no matter how bad I **** myself up, modern medicine can fix me", and this is only exacerbated by the whole "medical care is a right" mentality. No one feels that they should have to suffer for their ****ty decisions anymore, basically.
  • jennaworksout
    jennaworksout Posts: 1,739 Member
    Options
    Its not..

^ this too lazy to make an effort to make good meals

Define eating healthy? I think you need the parameters to gauge if it costs more. I cook everything from scratch, I cook Ketogenics for one person (who also lifts weights), low carb for another, one person has an eating disorder and one that has dietary issues. We are all in the same household. For example since our change in eating habits ( and exercise) we went through 2 gallons of milk a week average $5.00. Now we drink almond and or coconut milk. It costs about $3.69 a half gallon we go through 2 1/2 gallons a week. that's $18.45 just for that. Whey protein powder even at Costco is an added expense................. Yes we have eliminated junk food but add healthy foods and other products that can be costly.

It may depend on where you live and what your diet is. Lazy I am not and more like a short order cook. LOL I shop sales, Costco, and utilize online club card savings. So if asked if eating healthy is more expensive I say it depends on what your "healthy foods are". Since it can be subjective as to what is healthy.

??????? I eat healthy and its not expensive. the end.
  • jennaworksout
    jennaworksout Posts: 1,739 Member
    Options
    Its not..

This. This. This.

Thread over.

thank you!! .
  • misskerouac
    misskerouac Posts: 2,242 Member
    Options
    I find it cheaper.

The only time my grocery bill is high is when my husband wants chips or pop or frozen premade crap.
  • Madholm
    Madholm Posts: 167
    Options
    It can be extremely expensive. I have some friends in boston that eat local organic food. It costs them around $1100 per month for an active family of 3. Far too pricey for me to ever consider, but there are certainly plenty of ways to eat healthy for a lot less.
  • magj0y
    magj0y Posts: 1,911 Member
    Options
    Cost-co, 10lb bag of frozen chicken breasts run about $15. They also have a good selection on other things.
    Unprocessed rice, beans quinoa, pastas (costco) , potatoes in bulk, all cheap.

If you rethink your menu and where you buy your stuff, it's not more expensive.
    Most Mexican, italian, chili, none of these are expensive.
  • kimmeyjo
    kimmeyjo Posts: 57 Member
    Options
    I feel that way sometimes too, but I try to remember I'm buying for a whole family and the rest of the family can have "not so healthy" food whereas I have to have healthy food. It still is cheaper because we are not eating out as much and I eat leftovers. Yes I pay over $5 a pound for 96/4 hamburger meat, but I can get two to three meals out of one pound. Where before I wouldn't eat my leftovers and buy fast food. My grocery bill is higher, but my food cost in total is much lower since we don't eat out and I'm not eating junkfood.
  • survivor1952
    survivor1952 Posts: 250 Member
    Options
    Nobody seems to care when they spend $3.99 for a bag of chips or $10.00 for a box of candy but good grief ask for $4.00 for veggies & people scream. I don't think eating healthy costs any more than eating junk (unless you count fast food dollar menus-uck!)
    Anyhow, I'd rather pay for good, healthy food than pay the hospital bill for a heart attack.
  • betancourta229
    betancourta229 Posts: 171 Member
    Options
    The way I look at it I may be spending a little extra now but it will be worth it to live a longer life hopefully with no or less medications later in life.

I find that I am eating less food then I did before so it is about quality vs quantity and I save more money simply because I am buying less.
  • fit_librarian
    fit_librarian Posts: 242 Member
    Options
    It really shouldn't be. Buy fruits and veggies that are in season, shop around, you'll find you can actually eat healthily for a lot less. good luck x

This!
  • survivor1952
    survivor1952 Posts: 250 Member
    Options
    Its not..

Amen to that!
  • Nina2503
    Nina2503 Posts: 172 Member
    Options
    I dont find it more expensive, admittedly food is getting more expensive and I have to be more creative in the ktichen but I do plan menu's in advance, buy on offer, eat cheaper cuts of meat, eat seasonal veg, batch cook. It does take time and planning perhaps but much tastier than prepacked junk
  • Kaydana123
    Kaydana123 Posts: 71 Member
    Options
    It really depends what you're buying. People who say it's more expensive have usually gone from cooking unhealthy meals, to cooking meals with mostly fresh veg and fresh meat. People who say it's cheaper have usually gone from eating takeaways and snacks to cooking healthy meals.

Eating healthily doesn't have to be expensive, but you do need to ignore all the people (and I mean ALL of them!) who insist that you should eat lots of fresh this and fresh that. Dried beans and lentils are practically given away, and frozen meat, fruit and veg are ridiculously cheap compared to their fresh equivalents. As a general rule when it comes to fruit and veg, I only buy fresh when I'm going to eat it raw or can't buy it any other way.
  • contingencyplan
    contingencyplan Posts: 3,639 Member
    Options
    Value. Healthy. Convenience.

Pick two.

In my experience, the only time "healthy" foods are more expensive is when you're one of those "EVERYTHING MUST BE ORGANIC!" nuts or if you're trying to stick to things that don't require much effort to prepare as they come mostly pre-prepared. Well, sorry, but part of eating healthy means being willing to spend time in the kitchen. Yeah, if you're not willing to do THAT, then it can get expensive. Stupidly expensive. But if you care about your health AND saving money, you'll attempt to learn what you need to in order to resurrect the arcane arts of combining basic ingredients over heat in a process the ancient ones referred to as "cooking."
  • juliec33
    juliec33 Posts: 238 Member
    Options
    I just joined a co-op. for $15 a week you get a huge basket of veggies and a huge basket of fruit(think medium round laundry basket size). One of the ladies fingered it out and it would be approximately $40 to buy the same stuff in the store. They use as local as possible and what's in season. I have to split it with a friend because it's so much I couldn't use everything in a week (single).

The co-op is called bountiful baskets and they have locations throughout the country. Check it out. Or find a similar group in your local area. So far it's been great.
  • lynn1982
    lynn1982 Posts: 1,439 Member
    Options
    To reiterate what others have said - it doesn't have to be. I spend less on groceries each week because I'm not buying junk food on top of healthy food and I'm portioning everything out. So in that case, no, it's not more expensive. (Although sometimes, especially in the winter, fresh fruits and veggies are more expensive, so that's when I turn to frozen veggies, but always as a last resort.) That being said, it is NOT a myth that healthy food is more expensive than unhealthy food. A pound of broccoli at my grocery store costs more than a bag of chips. (Of course in the long run, that pound of broccoli will keep you healthier than that bag of chips, so it's sort of like an investment in your health.) Also, it depends on your definition of healthy. Non-GMO versions of corn and soy and grass fed, hormone-free meats are definitely way more expensive than their GMO corn (which is in almost everything in some form and allows for cheap production of processed foods) and corn-fed beef, for example, are less expensive. They're also government subsidized (depending on where you live), as is wheat, for example. So yes, it is definitely more expensive to eat super healthy, but there are ways around it and alternatives.