Race etiquette

Options

Replies

• Type1Rachelle
    Options
    just a side note - running is the ONLY sport where you can somewhat get away with wearing headphones while racing - maybe because I'm into multisport I don't find I really "need" it... but if you become dependent on it, you're kind of pigeon holing yourself into only running, imho
  • joehempel
    joehempel Posts: 1,761 Member
    Options
    I hate people, crank your headphones and ignore everyone.

**seriously though, I don't tend to talk to anyone during the race, just before and after. I plan what I want to listen to ahead of time based on the time I'll be out there (like 45 min episode of The Twlight Zone, and then 10 minutes of music for a 10k for example).
  • wolfchild59
    wolfchild59 Posts: 2,608 Member
    Options
    Someone mentioned water station tips - going to the second table is definitely a good tip. But one that I got before my first race that has proven very helpful is that if there are stations on both sides of the course, go to the one on the left.

Most people are right handed and tend to naturally gravitate towards the water stations on that side. I always head to the rear of the left and have never had to deal with water station traffic any of the times I've utilized them.
  • Graceious1
    Graceious1 Posts: 716 Member
    Options
    Listen to your iPod but also acknowledge the crowd when they cheer you on. Most importantly have fun.
  • algebravoodoo
    algebravoodoo Posts: 776 Member
    Options
    actually i disagree about wearing headphones. i've seen many collisions in races because one person was wearing headphones and wasn't able to hear when another runner said "on your right " or "on your left" .

but wearing headphones seems to be more common now than when i first started racing a several years ago. it's kind of like people are running in their own little worlds while forgetting that their are other people around you on race day, and some races can be very very crowded

THIS!!

Exactly this!
    I have also seen race winners have the title taken away because they were disqualified for wearing earbuds.
    When the race officials say no, they do mean NO and for good reason.

I do wear mine for training runs but not races, even though I am slow and hope only to cross before Stroller Man with the 4yo on his shoulders :sad:
  • sbrBirdy
    sbrBirdy Posts: 224 Member
    Options
    My pet peeve is people lining up too far in front.. I've had people that I know will finish a good 10 minutes behind me in a 5K start out in front of me.

I don't wear the race shirt before the race - I guess it's just superstition, and I've always viewed it as a newbie thing.

As far as earphones, I generally wear them but it's for pacing announcements not music. I may play the music softly after the race starts if I end up running alone - I have start/stop/volume controls on my chord and it is easy to adjust.
  • justal313
    justal313 Posts: 1,375 Member
    Options
    If you have time to update your FB or MFP status during the race, you aren't working hard enough...

There's an app for that...

Seriously, mapmyrun updates my status every mile. So you get 4 or 7 depending on wether its a 5K or a 10K. Hopefully you'll get 14 when I run a half.

Except today, for some reason my app didn't post anything. Oh well, I know how I did.
  • SLHartman
    SLHartman Posts: 142 Member
    Options
    I run my first race in a week. This thread brought up so many things that hadn't crossed my mind! Thank you all so much for your contributions. I feel like I might not be a total train wreck with all of the information you shared! :happy:
  • fitontherun
    fitontherun Posts: 90 Member
    Options
    Also, if you need to make a potty stop or something along the way, or at a water station, don't just suddenly zig zag across the street. I hate it when a runner nearly crashes into me going for water. Other than that, relax and have fun!

^^^ This ^^^

The only thing I could think of is don't stop moving at the water station. This may cause a collision or create traffic behind you. Instead, move to the side once you pass the water station. Then, you can either walk slowly or stop running as you drink your water.
  • basillowe66
    basillowe66 Posts: 432 Member
    Options
    THERE WILL BE LOTS OF PEOPLE WITH IPODS> JUST ENJOY. IF ITS YOUR !ST RACE< BE AREFULL AND RUN AT YOUR OWN PACE. IF YOU GET CAUGHT UP IN SOMEONE ELSES YOU MIGHT RUN OUT OF GAS. NOBODY WILL EVEN NOTICE YOU RUNNING UNTIL YOU GET TO THE FINISH AND THEN THEY WILL BE CHEERING YOU ON!!!! GOOD LUCK

LET ME KNOW HOW YOU DID

BASIL
  • ccbarbeau
    ccbarbeau Posts: 21 Member
    Options
    So my iPod etiquette conundrum became a non-issue, as I was so nervous about laying everything out last night and getting rest and bla bla bla... I forgot to charge it. It pooped out half a KM into the race! Ha.

I timed in at 45:03, close to my PR but no cigar. I gave up at the 2nd KM because I was getting tired and had a side stitch, so I walked for a bit and got my butt back into gear at KM 3. So I'm proud not because of my time, but because I started running again even though I was feeling tired. I didn't give up. That's my victory for today's event.

Thanks for all your advice!
  • Type1Rachelle
    Options
    So my iPod etiquette conundrum became a non-issue, as I was so nervous about laying everything out last night and getting rest and bla bla bla... I forgot to charge it. It pooped out half a KM into the race! Ha.

I timed in at 45:03, close to my PR but no cigar. I gave up at the 2nd KM because I was getting tired and had a side stitch, so I walked for a bit and got my butt back into gear at KM 3. So I'm proud not because of my time, but because I started running again even though I was feeling tired. I didn't give up. That's my victory for today's event.

Thanks for all your advice!

nice job! so this was a 5K? a 10K? when I get super tired and am super achey, I just remind myself that most times, it hurts worse to stop and then start back up again, so I try to just finish as fast as I can. usually it involves me giving myself a little pep talk - "you've run faster than this before, your body can handle it." "it's just x mins of pain left and then you can stretch and relax" "you know that the pain will melt away the minute you cross the finish line" "pain is only temporary, quitting is forever"... all cheesy but true, and the pep talks have lead to me scoring some PRs recently for longer stuff (18 miles, and half marathon). warming up is a huge help too - if you're getting side stitches, your breathing is too rapid. did you warm up at all? I know it sounds crazy when you can barely fathom running x # of miles during a race, let along tagging on a 10min (extra mile?) warm up run beforehand, but it seriously helps get the blood flowing and the lungs expanding and you'll feel more comfortable during the race. great job on completing it! in hindsight, do you feel the music would have helped all that much? just curious..
  • secretlobster
    secretlobster Posts: 3,566 Member
    Options
    THERE WILL BE LOTS OF PEOPLE WITH IPODS> JUST ENJOY. IF ITS YOUR !ST RACE< BE AREFULL AND RUN AT YOUR OWN PACE. IF YOU GET CAUGHT UP IN SOMEONE ELSES YOU MIGHT RUN OUT OF GAS. NOBODY WILL EVEN NOTICE YOU RUNNING UNTIL YOU GET TO THE FINISH AND THEN THEY WILL BE CHEERING YOU ON!!!! GOOD LUCK

LET ME KNOW HOW YOU DID

BASIL

SPEAKING OF ETIQUETTE...
  • summertime_girl
    summertime_girl Posts: 3,945 Member
    Options
    Some races don't allow headphones.
  • Pedal_Pusher
    Pedal_Pusher Posts: 1,166 Member
    Options
    The race director should make the call on headphones. Check the event's website for the race bible.
  • ramonasowner
    ramonasowner Posts: 136 Member
    Options
    ear buds are okay if the race officials don't discourage it. But I go with one bud.

its important to know who's behind you. I agree it can get dangerous
  • RGv2
    RGv2 Posts: 5,789 Member
    Options
    I always race with headphones. I run faster when I can run with a beat, it keeps me going, and I can usually set my music to the time I should finish. Music really pumps me up and with music I can carry that through the race.

I ran one race (marathon) where headphones were not allowed. One of the most boring things I've ever done.

Edit** It really surprises me how many people here have issues with racing with headphones.
  • secretlobster
    secretlobster Posts: 3,566 Member
    Options
    I ran one race (marathon) where headphones were not allowed. One of the most boring things I've ever done.

I can totally understand not allowing headphones for a 5k or a 10k. But for a marathon? How did you not fall asleep???
  • justmyalias
    justmyalias Posts: 153 Member
    Options
    I have run about a dozen 5Ks and have never seen headphones banned.
    The only time I did not wear mine was for the mud runs.
    But I always run (okay, it's a pretty slow jog) and walk with just one ear bud in - even when I have my killer guard dog with me.
    Habit.
  • mitch16
    mitch16 Posts: 2,113 Member
    Options
    I always wear headphones and listen to my iPod, too. Never loud enough that I can't hear the people around me though...

Seriously, if the slower runners/walkers started farther back in the corral and kept to the right like they are supposed to, faster runners could pass on the left (like they are supposed to), and this whole "causing collisions" thing wouldn't would not be an issue.