Basic Training

Options
iRebel
iRebel Posts: 383
What was your experience?
What was the effect on your weight/fitness?
What advise would you give/ what do you wish you knew before entering?

Replies

• iRebel
    Options
    Anyone?
  • Tyrone_S
    Tyrone_S Posts: 94 Member
    Options
    Results are at least 70% diet. Train as hard as you like, you won't get stuff all if you don't eat right.
  • gbbhey
    gbbhey Posts: 188
    Options
    If this is in reference to basic military training, I have some inputs. I went through about 5 years ago, but I doubt much has changed. As far as exercise goes, they will make sure you get plenty of it. You'll do pushups, and then more pushups, and when you think your done, they'll ask you to push some more. Lots of core/ab exercises too. You'll run quite a bit too.

I lost nearly 30 lbs when I went through BMT, but gained it all back within 6 months after. My body was literally running on fumes, and once you get out I didn't pay any attention to diet. Don't lose your mind like I did. Sure, an occasional ice cream cone is ok, but not when it's paired with Burger King 4 or 5 days of week.

I'll think of more, but feel free to add me as a friend if you have any other questions, or if this was even about joining the military.
  • jg627
    jg627 Posts: 1,221 Member
    Options
    I gained ~5-10 lbs between basic training and AIT (6 month period). Started mid to upper 160's. Ended lower to mid 170's. I ate as much as I was allowed. I didn't hold anything back at the dining facility. Cardio, cardio, cardio. You're going to be constantly sore for the first few weeks. When they tell you to count your pushups, don't bother. Every one is zero. They'll give you a manual to read. Read it, unless you like doing pushups until you puke.
  • dcurzon
    dcurzon Posts: 653 Member
    Options
    I thought this was an S&M thread, sorry
  • iRebel
    Options
    I am thinking about going into the AirForce branch
  • jg627
    Options
    The chair force is less intense than the army or marines.
  • iRebel
    Options
    I gained ~5-10 lbs between basic training and AIT (6 month period). Started mid to upper 160's. Ended lower to mid 170's. I ate as much as I was allowed. I didn't hold anything back at the dining facility. Cardio, cardio, cardio. You're going to be constantly sore for the first few weeks. When they tell you to count your pushups, don't bother. Every one is zero. They'll give you a manual to read. Read it, unless you like doing pushups until you puke.
    thanks- I'll keep that in mind! I am not good at pushups... they are gonna have fun with that, aren't they?
  • jg627
    Options
    thanks- I'll keep that in mind! I am not good at pushups... they are gonna have fun with that, aren't they?
    I'm pretty sure you will still have a pretty good appreciation for pushups by the time you're done.
  • iRebel
    Options
    Navy is also an option- I want to get my PharmD, and that is why I want to enlist.
  • iRebel
    Options
    I'm pretty sure you will still have a pretty good appreciation for pushups by the time you're done.
    I can barely do one on my toes...
  • jg627
    Options
    Navy is also an option- I want to get my PharmD, and that is why I want to enlist.
    I couldn't handle being stuck on a boat. The isolation of basic training was bad enough for me. Then again, not everyone who joins the navy gets stuck on a boat. Just keep that in mind.
  • ScatteredThoughts
    ScatteredThoughts Posts: 3,562 Member
    Options
    What time frame are you looking at for enlisting? It has been over 20 years since I was in the US Army, but I recall that I was very much unprepared for basic training. My job prior to enlisting didn't involve very much physical activity, and it showed. I ended up with shin splints and a small stress fracture, which set me back a ways.

Prepare beforehand as best you can.
  • iRebel
    Options
    I want to enlist so I can become a Pharmacist in the military, The branches that offer training in pharmacy are Navy, Air force that I remember. I don't think I really get how this works.... I should probably meet with a recruiter
  • Tyrone_S
    Tyrone_S Posts: 94 Member
    Options
    Results are at least 70% diet. Train as hard as you like, you won't get stuff all if you don't eat right.

oooh this is Military basic training. Not from the States, didn't get it. Same thing can still apply I guess.
  • jg627
    Options
    I want to enlist so I can become a Pharmacist in the military, The branches that offer training in pharmacy are Navy, Air force that I remember. I don't think I really get how this works.... I should probably meet with a recruiter
    Army would probably be an option too, but not marines. The navy takes care of the jar heads.
  • iRebel
    Options
    jar heads?
  • jg627
    Options

oooh this is Military basic training. Not from the States, didn't get it. Same thing can still apply I guess.
    I was fed really well in the army. MRE's sucked, but you're not going to be in the field all the time, unless you're in the special forces. For breakfast they had buckets of melted butter and syrup for my french toast and sausages to swim in, eggs, bacon, omelets, a seemingly unlimited supply of whole milk, a salad bar loaded with fruit. The coffee tasted like pee. I strongly suggest avoiding that.
  • jg627
    Options
    jar heads?
    Marines. They have a distinctly shaped hat that resembles the lid of a jar.
  • iRebel
    Options
    ohh. Random question: I've grown up vegetarian. will they be sensitive to that or do I have to deal? (if I eat meat, I throw up.)