are vegans healthy

Options
Quick question: My boyfriend doesn't think that vegans can be healthy, and that you have to get your nutrients through meat and dairy. What does everyone else think?

Replies

• Gallowmere1984
    Gallowmere1984 Posts: 6,626 Member
    Options
    On the meat, I agree with him. On the dairy, not so much. That's largely because all dairy these days is homogenized bull****, not because dairy in and of itself is bad.

That said, I've seen it work for some. Most of them look like a sack of hammered dog**** though. I tried it once for six months, felt like ****, could hardly think straight, and bailed on that garbage. Protein in plants is very hard to come by, without a bunch of extraneous bull****.

Besides...look at the vegan powerlifter records and try not to laugh when you compare them to their meat eating brethren in the same weight class.
  • magj0y
    magj0y Posts: 1,911 Member
    Options
    Quick question: My boyfriend doesn't think that vegans can be healthy, and that you have to get your nutrients through meat and dairy. What does everyone else think?

I think if someone is educated, they can eat a healthy vegan diet
  • UpsideMeagan
    UpsideMeagan Posts: 67 Member
    Options
    MichealJacksonPopcorn.gif

ETA: I do think vegans can be healthy and fit if they take the time to educate themselves on proper nutrition. My sister-in-law has and she's a very healthy and active vegan.
  • MsSueBee
    MsSueBee Posts: 35 Member
    Options
    It depends what you eat as a vegan. Vegans who eat processed stuff are not going to be healthy. Vegans who eat lots of greens, veggies, & fruit, as well as nuts, seeds, and whole grains, are going to be healthy. For more information, you might consider reading The China Study, Eat to Live, Forks Over Knives, etc. There is also an Eat to Live group on this site.

I am not a vegan but have greatly increased my fruits and veggies and reduced meat and dairy considerably. I find I am healthier and I am finally busting through a plateau I've been on for some months. Good luck!
  • FeebRyan
    FeebRyan Posts: 738 Member
    Options
    I eat vegan probably 13 days out of 14. I don't call myself a vegan its just the food i prefer.

We start each day with a nutrient packed superfood green smoothie and go on from there! Without the smoothie i think we would struggle a bit and that has dried spirulina, macca powder and wheatgrass in it to name a few things.

I think it is perfectly possible to be a healthy vegan, but its perfectly possible to be a healthy meat eater too, alot of it is understanding food and using it to its best.
  • EndlessSacrifice
    Options

Most of the vegans I know are also some of the healthiest people I know. As long as you get enough protein and healthy fat in, and you keep all of the rest of your macros and micros in check, I don't see why it wouldn't be healthy.
  • Graelwyn75
    Graelwyn75 Posts: 4,404 Member
    Options
    Someone created a thread earlier about this link.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=O6oJA_xhTa8
  • kryslJackson
    Options
    That is a loaded question. I think you first need to define what healthy is. If you are taking into account energy levels, blood work, etc. then I think vegans can be "healthy"....but it's rare. The amount of time and effort you'd have to put in to make sure you are getting complete proteins (complete proteins contain all the essential amino acids) would be almost impossible for most people. Essential amino acids are just that: essential. The ONLY sources of complete proteins are animal proteins...plant proteins are lacking 1 or more. You'd need to combine specific foods with each other, eat them at the same time as each other, and make sure you are getting the right amount of grams of protein to do so. That being said, vegetarians can be completely healthy. Eggs are one of the best sources of protein you can get. It is true most dairy is crap, but that goes the same for meat as well. When it comes to animal products people should be eating organic, properly fed, cage free, etc. Dairy can be great for putting on size (if that's your goal), but it's not necessary in a diet. Animal protein, in my opinion, is. I grew up ovo-lacto vegetarian and recently started eating chicken, turkey, fish, etc. I spent years studying nutrition and the more I learned the less information convinced me vegan is a good choice, especially if you're an athlete (which I am). The amount of energy I have now compared to what I had 5 years ago has changed drastically and my blood work is also perfect....hope that helps
  • AbsoluteNG
    AbsoluteNG Posts: 1,079 Member
    Options
  • emtjmac
    emtjmac Posts: 1,320 Member
    Options

This guys looks pale. His color is not good. Every vegan/fruitatarian whatever that I see in youtube videos or online has bad color. That says something to me.
  • Gallowmere1984
    Options

Bwahahahaha...yeah, that guy is Veganism's poster child for strength. It's a bad joke. He's one of the ones I was talking about in my first post, with comparing their strongest to that of the meat eaters in the same weight class.
  • UpsideMeagan
    UpsideMeagan Posts: 67 Member
    Options

This guys looks pale. His color is not good. Every vegan/fruitatarian whatever that I see in youtube videos or online has bad color. That says something to me.

It's called bad lighting.
  • AbsoluteNG
    AbsoluteNG Posts: 1,079 Member
    Options
    That is a loaded question. I think you first need to define what healthy is. If you are taking into account energy levels, blood work, etc. then I think vegans can be "healthy"....but it's rare. The amount of time and effort you'd have to put in to make sure you are getting complete proteins (complete proteins contain all the essential amino acids) would be almost impossible for most people. Essential amino acids are just that: essential. The ONLY sources of complete proteins are animal proteins...plant proteins are lacking 1 or more. You'd need to combine specific foods with each other, eat them at the same time as each other, and make sure you are getting the right amount of grams of protein to do so. That being said, vegetarians can be completely healthy. Eggs are one of the best sources of protein you can get. It is true most dairy is crap, but that goes the same for meat as well. When it comes to animal products people should be eating organic, properly fed, cage free, etc. Dairy can be great for putting on size (if that's your goal), but it's not necessary in a diet. Animal protein, in my opinion, is. I grew up ovo-lacto vegetarian and recently started eating chicken, turkey, fish, etc. I spent years studying nutrition and the more I learned the less information convinced me vegan is a good choice, especially if you're an athlete (which I am). The amount of energy I have now compared to what I had 5 years ago has changed drastically and my blood work is also perfect....hope that helps

http://www.livestrong.com/article/261335-list-of-complete-protein-foods/

Fortunately, for individuals who follow a vegan diet, there are plant-based foods that are complete protein choices, including soy products and quinoa, a protein-rich whole grain. Soybeans form the basis of many processed soy foods, all of which are complete protein sources, such as soy milk, tempeh, tofu, miso and edamame, or fresh green soybeans. According to the The World's Healthiest Foods a 1/2-cup serving of cooked soybeans provides 14g protein and 4 oz. or 1/2 cup of fresh tofu provides 9 to 10g protein. Soy protein isolate is a highly refined form of soy protein in which most of the carbohydrate has been removed. It may be used as a protein supplement in powdered form. According to the Soy Foods Association of North America, one scoop or 1 oz. powdered soy protein isolate provides 20 to 23g protein.
  • rawfull
    rawfull Posts: 178
    Options
    Someone created a thread earlier about this link.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=O6oJA_xhTa8

I posted that link, and going raw vegan saved my life...
    Whether you're vegan diet is healthy depends on what you eat.
    If you're a vegan, and you eat mainly processed foods, you may be only slightly healthier than someone who eats a standard American diet.
    But sticking with unprocessed vegan foods is the key to health... Avoid processed flours, meats, sugar, and processed oils.
    I get all the fats though, nuts, seeds, and fruits and veggies... Avocados too...
    I choose to be vegan because I believe meat and dairy is very unhealthy, especially dairy...
    And humans are the only species that continue to consume milk after infancy.

I like animals, but over the years I've eaten more than my share, I was raised in Alaska, and meat was a part of every single meal.
    And both my parents, and my health was ruined from eating, my mom died at 68 from a stroke, and my dad died at 68 shortly after his 2nd coronary by pass. I have CHF, congestive heart failure, and was a insulin dependant for over 2 years, until I went vegan...
    My CHF is improving as well...

Do your own research, don't listen to anyone, including myself...

I wish you all a healthy life...
  • LewZealand
    Options
    I'm sorry, but the "complete protein" myth has been debunked. You can absolutely be a healthy vegan. It's pretty much the same as being a healthy omnivore, but instead you get your protein from plants and make sure you get a small amount of B12. I'm not saying that all vegans are healthy (oreos are apparently "vegan"), but it's just as easy (if not easier) to be a healthy vegan as it is to be a healthy omnivore. I'm not hating on your meat eating. Do what you want to do to be healthy, but don't use anecdotes ("most vegans I see are pale and sickly") or debunked science to make your case.

Edit: Also, feel free to check out www.veganbodybuilding.com or www.nomeatathlete.com. Vegan athletes are starting to come out all over! Elite ultrarunners, triathletes, NFL players, bodybuilders, and several MMA fighters.
  • Brown_Owl
    Brown_Owl Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    as long as you eat a varied diet and include lots of pulses and nuts then you should be ok. If like me you don't eat Quorn or Tofu etc you need to make sure you take Vitmain B12 supliments.
  • Oaeneo
    Oaeneo Posts: 65 Member
    Options
    If you take a small random sampling of vegans of course you are going to find many that are not healthy. It's not different than a random sample of omnivores. There are many unhealthy, easy vegan options just as there are for other lifestyles. However, if you are educated and involve yourself with the vegan community, you will find that there are people (who happen to be vegan) that are very healthy and take an active role in their personal well being. I can't say if veganism is the best diet out there, but is sure is one of the best diets for the planet. I am not a vegan but my SO is one and I know several. They get a lot of hell from people but omnivores should be thanking them. It takes far fewer of the planet's resources to maintain a vegan diet than a meat inclusive one. There are so many more people who could be fed on the grain that goes to feed one cow.
  • lostinthe619
    Options
    aYKxg.gif
  • Bonny619
    Bonny619 Posts: 311 Member
    Options
    Of course they can. But you'll have your vegans who aren't healthy as well as you'll have your meat eaters who are disgustingly unhealthy.
  • Gallowmere1984
    Options
    All bias aside, as I've said before, I encourage everyone to go Vegan. It means that the law of supply and demand will make the meat I eat cheaper, and if the meat industry were to go under, I could always just kill animals myself.

Yes...I am now envisioning a utopia...one where everyone besides me subsists on soy products and the men's testosterone levels drop abysmally, allowing me to claim alpha male status. Eh...I can hope that everyone is gullible enough anyway. Everyone has to have a dream. ;)