40+ Club: Beating The Winter Bulge

Options

Replies

• denimangel
    denimangel Posts: 85 Member
    Options
    Happy Anniversary to you Sing!!!

Hope everyone is doing well.... I have been doing my workouts faithfully... although I admit there are times that I forgot to log my food all day long... I'd start and then by the end of the day I would not get back to it to get my food logged.

check in this week was discouraging again... no loss in weight or measurements... very discouraging when I know that I am working out and eatiing right. :sad: but a new week is beginning... I am going back to my treadmill and running this next week... and I am going to start using my husbands weight bench and weights. :wink: He said he would set it up for me each day so all I have to do is tell him what area I want to work or how... I don't mind using it I just do not know how to set it up for the different ones.. I'll try this for the next month and see if it makes any difference by the end of March.

My daughter and her family have decided to go on holidays with us this summer to Banff and Jasper. I want to issue the challenge to her to see how much she can lose by the time we leave. But not sure if she will accept the challenge .. she is always saying she doesn't have the time to exercise. Anyone have any suggestions on how to convince her to accept the challenge and see what she can lose by July 1? For her healths sake she really needs to lose she is at 275+ LBS.:brokenheart:

We went snow shoeing again today I really enjoy it. My husband loves it when I try to go down a steep embankment and end up on my bum and slide down instead... he stands and laughs and I lay in the snow and laugh. So much fun... And can you believe burn 492 calories in an hour!!!

Well back to the gold medal curling game... hope you all have a good weekend... and Sing enjoy your steak!! I can't have red meat at all as I am allergic to it... I raise my glass to you on your anniversary.:drinker:

Angel
  • JuliaSoCal
    Options
    I sure hope this Wii is accurate. I am beginning to questions it... I have NEVER lost weight this fast before! It said I has down 2.9 pounds! I have done everything to keep things the same for my weigh in...same day, about the same time, same robe. I will take it:)

I am getting anxious for someone who does not know I am working on my weight to make a comment. I need independent confirmation. I am OBSESSED with independent confirmation :)

Julia
  • aholly70
    aholly70 Posts: 577 Member
    Options
    HELLO,MY NAME IS HOLLY I HOPE I CAN JOIN THIS TEAM I'LL BE 40 IN JULY,I'V BEEN TRYING TO LOSE 15 LBS FOR SOME TIME NOW I NEED TO FIND A TEAM WITH SUPPORT.IT'S BEEN HARD TO FIND ONE.I DO WELL IN THE BEGINNING AND THEN SOMETHING GOES WRONG AND I GAIN IT BACK,I NEED SOME HELP I GUESS AND SUPPORT FROM A TEAM AND HOPE TO MAKE FRIENDS ALONG THE WAY.

I'LL BE WEIGHING IN TOMORROW MORNING FOR MY STARTING WEIGHT,I'M GOING TO TAKE BABY STEPS SO I DON'T GET SO OVERWHELMED,BUT WOULD LOVE TO BE PART OF THIS TEAM. THANKS
  • singfree
    singfree Posts: 1,591 Member
    Options
    Good evening!

Your night watchman is back on duty this week. That's right, 10 pm-6 am. What a way to end an otherwise great weekend.

We were at a concert in Harrisburg today by the Harrisburg Symphony, really great musicians!

hunibun, welcome! You've come to the right place!! We will give you all the help and support that you need to succeed.

hisangel! Congrats to eveyone in Canada for hosting a most memorable Olympics!!! Even the weather did not dampen the spirit of the games. Great job to a great neighbor!!

julia, just keep doing what you are doing!! Don't worry too much about the weight right now. It will come off, trust us!!

Have a good night all.
  • homehealthy
    Options
    Hello. I'm new to the post. Over 40 and trying to get healthier. It is very hard sometimes when I have family that want to eat the bad stuff. Our town is doing a Biggest loser game. My job place signed up as a team and I joined in. We have weighins every two weeks and the results are listed in the local paper, in % thank goodness. It really makes you want to keep loosing since everybody in town sees it! I live in a small town so everybody talks.
    I really enjoy the outdoors and loosing the extra pounds has helped when I'm fishing the banks of the Hood River. My mother died 2 years ago due to obesity, and all of the women in my family have died before their 70th birthdays with heart disease, so I figured I better get a grip on my health before it is too late.
    Thanks for the support. It is harder the older we get.:cry:
  • StiringWendel
    StiringWendel Posts: 3,792 Member
    Options
    Hi everybody!

singfree, sorry to see you had to end your weekend back at work. :grumble: But I'm glad you had a good weekend otherwise. :drinker:

JuliaSoCal, great job on the weight loss!! I have weighed myself with my Wii a couple of times, and I find it pretty accurate when compared to what my regular scale is telling me. As far as other people commenting on your weight loss, I remember when I was losing weight that I didn't start getting any comments about my weight loss until I'd lost about 20lbs. The funny thing is, even when I had lost 30lbs (and was down from a size 10 to a size 2/4), some people were surprised to hear that I had lost any weight at all! :noway: Others noticed, but others didn't. So don't be discouraged if people don't notice right away. Just keep doing what you are doing, do it for YOU, and enjoy the changes in your body.

hisangel, don't worry about not losing any weight right now. That's bound to happen from time to time, and you are doing everything right. As far as your daughter goes, you indicated that she says she doesn't have time to exercise. But I was wondering if a fitness challenge might be better accepted by her than a weight loss challenge....especially if you plan a particular activity for the time you are in the mountains. It's just an idea, but I know I would be less defensive if somebody said 'Let's try to get in shape to hike up to [insert name of a good place here]' than I would be if somebody said 'Let's lose weight for...... Just a thought.

hunibun, welcome! :flowerforyou: Those last 10-20 pounds are SO hard. I hope you keep checking in. There are a few of us now who have managed to lose those last few pounds so if you have any questions, please ask!!

homehealthy, welcome as well! :flowerforyou: That Biggest Loser game sounds like alot of pressure! But I can also see where it would be great motivation having everything printed up for the world to see. I'm so sorry to hear about the loss of your mother due to obesity. But I'm happy to see you are on a path for creating for yourself a healthier life. I know my biggest inspiration for staying fit and healthy is my mother. While she is not obese, she hasn't taken good care of herself throughout her life and she lost her ability to get around without pain at a very young age. While she is 80 and still managing to take care of herself, I don't want to be in a position of not being able to go for a walk around the block when I'm in my 60s.....and that is where she was. I hope you keep checking in.

I had a good weekend though the food cravings got really bad again this weekend. I'm not sure why. But I didn't give in to them. I have one more week left in my second cycle of STS, and, as happened the last time I did this program, I'm beginning to see the results in an amazing way. On some of my workouts this weekend, I felt almost invincible!! I love this program!! :love:

I hope everybody has a good Monday. Our March 1 was ushered in with rain and colder temps (in the 30s again). Blech! Hard to believe spring is a few weeks away when it is like this, but at least we had nice weather last week to remind me that winter is almost over.
  • AnahitaCanDoIt
    Options
    Just thought I'd check in...

Did my fortnightly measurements...

here are the results of cm/in loss since Jan 23, 2010

Total Loss: cm: 47cm
    Total Loss: inches: 18.54in (since Jan 23, 2010)

Yay! Though the scale seems to be stuck at 90.4kg at least the measuring tape is being my friend. For today! Home sick from work but will still do Week 3, Day 1 of the 200 situps challenge as well as my lower abs work (20reps x 3 sets of bum lifts)...

Hope you're all having a good day!
  • aholly70
    Options
    HI EVERYONE,THANK YOU FOR THE NICE WELCOME.
    WHEN ARE YOUR WEIGH INS? SO TODAY IS THE DAY I'M STARTING OVER AND I WEIGHED IN 147.2 I COULDN'T BELIEVE IT NEVER WEIGHED THIS IN MY LIFE.SO IT GOES I NEED TO 15 -17 LBS.I'M NOT NEW TO FITNESS SO I'LL BE OK IN THAT DEPARTMENT,I'LL BE WORKING OUT TODAY.
    HERE IS A LITTLE ABOUT ME MY NAME IS HOLLY AND I LIVE IN WISCONSIN,I HAVE A 12 YR OLD DAUGHTER AND I'M MARRIED TO A WONDERFUL HUSBAND FOR 7 YRS NOW HE'S A OVER THE ROAD TRUCK DRIVER.I'M A STAY AT HOME MOM/WIFE I DO BABYSIT AT TIMES.I LOVE TO READ,AND BE OUTDOORS.
    I HOPE YOU ALL HAVE A WONDERFUL DAY
  • duffyzmom
    duffyzmom Posts: 644 Member
    Options
    Welcome Newbies! Hunibun - we are a Friday check-in group although there are a few that check in on other days.

Sing: Glad to hear it was a nice anniversary getaway.

Stiring: Since chocolate isn't my biggie I guess I'd be more interested in the wine tour of Asia:laugh:

For me - I had a great long run yesterday - still kicking myself that I didn't order the icespikes early in the Winter. I could have been running outside all winter long:grumble: The best part is all the strange looks you get from people like how is that chick running on these icy snow covered roads :laugh: Starting the Lean phase of CX today and I'm hoping this phase is true to form. Although I've lost some inches on my thighs and arms my middle section is stuck. I can see more definition but the measurements just aren't dropping. Hopefully that will change now that I'll be back to running 4xs a week as I train for a May 25K.

Have a great March Monday!
  • zebras
    zebras Posts: 600
    Options
    Happy Monday Everyone! Welcome New Folks!

I survived my husband's 50th birthday! We had Outback saturday to celebrate a joint birthday with another friend, so I worked out enough before to enjoy myself thoroughly.

Sunday, we met family and friends for Sunday Brunch, and I didn't try to keep track of what I was eating. I don't beleive I pigged out though. After, I didn't feel great because TOM had decided to invade the party! But the day before I had found out that GameStop was having a big trade in deal for video games, and I wanted to get Walk it Out for Wii, but couldn't justify spending the money on it before. So, I took three games we didn't play anymore, and it paid for 2/3rds of the new game, and even though I felt yicky I decided to set the game up, because I don't like to wait to play new fun things. Well, 400 calories burned later, I didn't feel yicky anymore.

You basically walk around a virtual island to the beat of the music, and every step taken correctly, you get a point towards building trees, buildings, signs, new music, etc. Its strangely addictive. I did end up working up a sweat. I'm definitely going to enjoy this on nights, I don't feel like a real workout but want to still burn some calories. I could definitely recommend it to those who need a kick start in getting moving. Sort of like what Wii Fit did for me 2 years ago.
  • alf1163
    alf1163 Posts: 3,143 Member
    Options
    Good morning everyone!!! Welcome to all the new members!!!!! :drinker: :drinker: :drinker:

Sing, glad you had a great anniversary weekend!!! Now, get back to work!!! :laugh:

Anahita, congrats on losing so many inches!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :drinker: And congrats to Julie as well for your weight loss!! :drinker:

Hunibun, tell us more about your fitness and nutrition plans and your goals. We might be able to give you more ideas/suggestions. It can be harder to lose weight as you get older but it is not impossible. It just takes more planning and consistency. :drinker:

Homehealthy, that is a great challenge!!! Kudos to those who thought of that!! Use it for your advantage. Keep us updated on your progress. :drinker:

Duffy, I had forgotten how different and longer the lean phase is...but I did enjoy my first workout this morning. I combined it with extreme abs since I had more time to spend exercising. I teach Zumba tonight as well. I am in the same situation as yours, I actually feel my waist has gotten thicker. I actually measured myself on Friday and it measured 28 inches. :grumble:

And I weighed myself after 2 wks and I am up as well. I am dissapointed and frustrated but I am not going to let it get me down. I really want to start running again, that is something that keeps me leaner. I really dont know I will have the time for it. My plan is to buy a new pair of running shoes after my trip to PR. I might not get into races this time, just do it for "fun". :laugh: I do miss it. I also lowered my calories and see if that helps. Although I have been eating clean 90% to 100% of the time, I think I've been eating too much. The problem is that I feel hungry all the time, even with all the clean foods I've been eating. Any thoughts???

Have a great Monday!!!! :flowerforyou:
  • aholly70
    Options
    I STARTED WITH WEIGHT WATCHERS TODAY THE AT HOME KIT THAT YOU CAN BUY.MY FITNESS I DO THE TREADMILL 2-3 DAYS A WEEK FOR 30-45 MINS AND I WORK OUT TO THE FIRM DVD'S WHICH I THINK ARE AWESOME.
    I EAT RED MEAT ONCE A WEEK OTHER WISE FISH CHICKENAND PORK,LOTS OF VEGGIES AND FRUIT MY PROMBLEM IS I HAVE SWEET TOOTH AND I'V HAD LOTS OF SWEETS LATELY SO I'M GOING TO TRY AND GET AWAY FROM EATING SO MANY OF THEM.

I DID GET 30 MINS IN SO FAR TODAY A DVD AND GOING TO DO TM FOR 20-30 MINS ALSO.
  • JuliaSoCal
    Options
    I have a question. I asked it on the main board, but I am still trying to figure this out. OK...MFP has my calorie intake listed at 1380. I expected that this number would drop after I lost 10 pounds. It did not. So, now I am thinking that 1380 is the lowest intake I will get because I listed my activity level as moderately active...( I teach, and am on my feet ALL day)... In otherwords, because of my activity level 1380 in MY 1200.

Does that sound right to you?

Julia
  • Swissmiss
    Swissmiss Posts: 8,754 Member
    Options
    :flowerforyou: Julia, I am not sure if MFP lowers our calorie allotment or if we have to do this ourselves. I have not changed mine at all, but then, I am set for 1200. Hope someone here will have the answer for you.

:flowerforyou: hunibun, did your sweet tooth get fed over Valentine's Day? :wink: Mine did. I, however, have more of a taste for salty foods. You know, chips and such.

I really need a kick in the behind. I have fallen off the wagon.:embarassed: I have got to get back to eating right and be diligent about going to my classes.
  • denimangel
    denimangel Posts: 85 Member
    Options
    Welcome to the newbies...honibun and homehealthy. this is the place for support!! glad you joined us.

thanks for the words of encouragement everyone.. I press on.. the battle not won!
    this morning I did 5K on the treadmill!! YES!!! It felt good and I still feel energized (lunch time for me now) when I get home I will have my hubby set up the weight machine so I can do weights tomorrow..

Hope everyone is having a good beginning of the week.

I like the idea of the challenge for my daughter.. if she goes with me. We are still hoping that she will.. the grandkids really want to go they are so excited about hiking up a mountain and thru a canyon.

Well gotta head back to work... sorry so short.

Angel
  • singfree
    singfree Posts: 1,591 Member
    Options
    Good afternoon!

Alf, I will be doing a good workout this afternoon, maybe a long hike up the mountain and a KB workout. Is your diet any different than before? You could be a bit "puffier" due to excess carbs. Try replacing a few percentage of carbs (esp. high glycemic carbs) with some lean protein and maybe a bit more fat. Do you attribute the increased thickness in the waist to muscle or fat? Either way, I think some more protein might just do the trick.

Increase the intensity of your workouts, but DO NOT place any extra stress on your hip!!!

Swiss, here's you kick in the pants!! Get moving girl!!!

Julia, I really think that 1380 cals is the lowest you dare to go under any circumstance. Concentrate on clean, nutrient dense foods, and drink plenty of water.

Have a great day!
  • RecliningFigure
    RecliningFigure Posts: 214 Member
    Options
    Hunibun - Keep at it, you'll get there. We all have our weaknesses. We all have to work with them in my. I also have a sweet tooth (and I simply love, love, love good food). When I go off, I double my efforts to be good again (without beating myself up too much - too much negativity won't help me lose that weight).

Julia - It all depends on your body size, and frame size. I also teach, but I'm not on my feet as much as you are. I spoke to my doctor about the right number of calories for me, and it really depends on a lot of different factors. You might want to consider wearing a heart rate monitor for a day of work to see a little more accurately what you're burning (HRMs are fallible, but probably a better guess at what you are burning and you need to start somewhere). Also, be honest about your frame size. I believe that that also makes a difference. I didn't lose weight last year when I was very careful, and kept my calories to 1200 (I have a small frame). This year, only when I added 25 more minutes to my run (total 60 mins now) and cut nearly all refined carbs that I saw the weight begin to drop. Then again, it did take me almost a year to get to the 60 minute run. And perhaps in the meantime, I was able to change the way my body's metabolism works. Who knows why I didn't lose weight for a year even though I was doing my best. I think it's different for everyone, and it takes thoughtful trial and error to see what works for you. Don't give up. It took me almost a year to figure out something that is working for me. I also know that once I fall into the routine, I'll need to change it up to keep losing the weight. As long as you're consciencious about being healthy, I'm sure you'll find the thing that will work for you. Just don't give up.

I've had a good week and a not so good week all at the same time. I got a bunch of nice compliments from my Tango teachers (people I haven't seen in a year) about how much thinner and younger I look. YEAH!!!! A lot of celebrating and eating out this week, so I didn't do as well as on what I ate. I always make as good of a chioce as I could based on what is available, but restaurant food as we all know.... I'm definately going to do a long run today to get back into the groove.
  • aholly70
    Options
    SWISSMISS- I HAD LOTS OF SWEETS ON VALENTINES DAY WE ALWAYS HAVE CAKE THAT DAY,IT'S MY WEDDING ANNIVERSARY ON V-DAY.THEN WE ALSO GO OUT TO EAT.

THANKS FOR ENCOURAGING WORDS AND SUPPORT
  • tron3002
    tron3002 Posts: 440 Member
    Options
    I started back on my treadmill today... YEA!!! I walked 2 miles on a 10 incline at a 4.0. I should have done more but had lots to do. I'm just happy I finally got started again. My food was really good. Just really under my calorie limit. Its late and I dont know if I should eat anymore because of that.
  • maytanewfie
    Options
    Hi, I definitely meet the 40+ requirement, and I'm tired of the yoyo weight I've been dealing with, so I'm trying to learn to use more tools here (I first joined a while ago, mostly to use the calorie counter, but I found I just quit logging when I ate things I shouldn't. , so now I need to learn more about the site, and use more tools. I'm 42, and moderately active, but I had to have a LOT of chemotherapy for a few years, so I think my metabolism is kind of wacked out. Less than stellar food choices is also contributory of course. If I could stay focused and comitted for more than 2 weeks, that would hlep me too. As of today I'm starting over (again), so hopefully this time I do better!