FAT TO FIT, WOMEN WEIGHT LIFTING

Options

Replies

• heatherdawn007
    Options
    Jamie Eason's 12 week LiveFit is a great start for weightlifting as well (http://www.bodybuilding.com/fun/jamie-eason-livefit-trainer.html). I have always done some sort of exercise, but for years, it has been cardio. Last year, I went through insanity, but after so much cardio/plyometrics (and awesome results!), I was a little burned out and wanted to switch things up a lot. I used workouts from a trainer for 3 months, and then started LiveFit with a friend. I have been through LiveFit twice now. It starts out easy, but by phase 3, it is definitely a tough workout!

Bodybuilding.com has videos to help you see form - great for visual people like me - and her program will help you become familiar with basic lifts, and confident in the weights section of the gym. I started Laura Bailey's muscle building program today and am already so impressed by it! Just lifting for the last 5-6 months alone, I feel so much stronger than I ever have in my life. I do it at the gym most days, but also have a weight bench, barbell and some weight plates, along with 5, 10 and 20lb dumbbells that we picked up at a garage sale. With just those, I can do everything at my house, with just a little variation.

Good luck!
  • Mell00546
    Mell00546 Posts: 158 Member
    Options
    If your looking for a lifting plan that includes diet and informative videos and pictures go to bodybuilding.com
    I use Jamie Easons 12-week program and it is amazing!
    You will see your body change if you stick to the diet and lifting guidelines. Plus I love that you can print out the workouts and take them with you to the gym.
  • Shara126
    Shara126 Posts: 144 Member
    Options
    Tricep kickbacks,one arm dumbell rows, lunges, and squats have done wonders for me and my trouble spots (hips, thighs and flabby arms). I am not following any kind of formal program, just trying out different things and mixing it up every month. I love the flexibility of creating my own program and seeing results. I have doubled my lifting weight in three months and lost inches so I must be doing something right:)
  • cspinney
    cspinney Posts: 81 Member
    Options
    I started out many years ago with Kathy Smith Lift Weights to Lose Weight on DVD. All you need are some dumbbells and a mat. I do think it was good to start with a video because I was able to see proper form. In any case, it doesn't have to be a big expense.
  • NYAnnie33
    NYAnnie33 Posts: 61 Member
    Options
    Do you have Cablevision as your cable provider? They offer free videos that you can do, some are actually really good! If you don't, there's always the internet... tons of stuff online. You can buy a cheap set of weights from TJMAXX, they usually have them at a much lower cost then going to a sports store. Start there and when you are ready to move forward maybe invest in some heavier weights if you find you like using them.
  • vienna26
    vienna26 Posts: 115 Member
    Options
    bump fpr later this is something ive been wanting to know too
  • BeDawn
    BeDawn Posts: 56 Member
    Options
    Great thread, I want to try weights, too. I've lost 17 lbs counting calories, and I'm ready to step it up.
    I am 5'4" and I am worried about building my leg muscles. My leg muscles are HUGE under my fat (from carrying my heavy self around.) I do NOT want to build any muscle there.
  • CraigCooke
    CraigCooke Posts: 22 Member
    Options
    Great thread, I want to try weights, too. I've lost 17 lbs counting calories, and I'm ready to step it up.
    I am 5'4" and I am worried about building my leg muscles. My leg muscles are HUGE under my fat (from carrying my heavy self around.) I do NOT want to build any muscle there.

Train high reps (15-20) - and lighter weights...
  • LilLolo22
    LilLolo22 Posts: 229 Member
    Options
    A lot of body weight exercises can be done at home and are simple for a beginner's way into lifting weights. Pushups, squats, lunges, planks, pullups (you need a bar, and you can work your way up to them). I'd recommend a pullup bar, exercise ball, and medicine ball to start. Weights should come after you've mastered the basic movements without weights.

^^^^I agree with this!! :flowerforyou:
  • BeDawn
    BeDawn Posts: 56 Member
    Options

Thanks!
  • mogletdeluxe
    mogletdeluxe Posts: 623 Member
    Options
    Hello!

I must admit, I feel a teensy bit fraudulent replying to this thread as a significant part of my weight loss was due to cardio (and lots of it), but weights did play a significant part, particularly in the latter stages.

When I started losing weight, I knew that I'd have to incorporate some weight/strength training in order to minimise the potential of loose skin (I had about 6 stone/84lb to lose). I didn't want to go from hating my body to STILL hating it for another reason after all that hard work.

So I started attending kettlebells classes, which I maintain saved my bingo wings. My upper arms were about the size of my thigh (only a slight exaggeration!) and there was huge potential for saggy skin there.

I started attending the classes about three months in (it's taken me 18 months to get to this stage, give or take). I had to give up the kettlebells a while ago due to a shoulder injury, and started lifting weights instead.

I now lift 4 - 5 times a week for approximately 20 - 30 minutes a time (usually after my zumba class). I don't lift especially heavy (although that's obviously subjective); doing sets with 10kg dumbells for bicep curls, 12kg for tricep dips and the 10 again for lateral raises and shoulder presses.

Lifting weights has helped me immensely. I don't doubt that the cardio assisted some (strong repetitive movements in zumba) in helping melting the fat so the muscles popped through, but in terms of shaping my body I cannot thank weightlifting enough.

Some photos for reference - me at 16 stone/224lbs, me at my current weight (just over 10 stone/140lb) and my arm progress picture for October 2012.

Sorry for the waffle! Hope this helps some.

photo.jpg

7.jpg

C7B845EB-5060-4E3D-86E3-E68769C32239-8061-0000081E17BF6DB1.jpg
  • charliehefferon
    charliehefferon Posts: 223 Member
    Options
    bump
  • Nix143
    Nix143 Posts: 522 Member
    Options

Nope, don't.

Like everyone else has said get yourself to bodybuilding.com - loads of info

Check out New Rules of Lifting OR Stronglifts 5x5 groups on here - to be fair there a ton of different starter weight programs around. Pretty much all of them emphasise LOWER REPS and HEAVIER WEIGHTS for best results. You'll be wanting progression - increase the weights and you increase your strength. Don't buy into the women lift lighter weights, it's nonsense.

You could do a bodyweight routine or dumbbell routine - both of these would give you good results. Again - there are loads of groups on here and loads of people have had great results.

It's one of those things where there are a million different ways of starting and no one definitive 'right' way - but there is always a way you can do something with the resources you have.

There's a thread around somewhere of results from lifting, I'll have a see if I can find it.

And good luck, once you start I'm sure you'll love it :)
  • Jenner9169
    Jenner9169 Posts: 57 Member
    Options
    Bump! Great thread
  • eeebee
    eeebee Posts: 471 Member
    Options
    Hello!

I must admit, I feel a teensy bit fraudulent replying to this thread as a significant part of my weight loss was due to cardio (and lots of it), but weights did play a significant part, particularly in the latter stages.

When I started losing weight, I knew that I'd have to incorporate some weight/strength training in order to minimise the potential of loose skin (I had about 6 stone/84lb to lose). I didn't want to go from hating my body to STILL hating it for another reason after all that hard work.

So I started attending kettlebells classes, which I maintain saved my bingo wings. My upper arms were about the size of my thigh (only a slight exaggeration!) and there was huge potential for saggy skin there.

I started attending the classes about three months in (it's taken me 18 months to get to this stage, give or take). I had to give up the kettlebells a while ago due to a shoulder injury, and started lifting weights instead.

I now lift 4 - 5 times a week for approximately 20 - 30 minutes a time (usually after my zumba class). I don't lift especially heavy (although that's obviously subjective); doing sets with 10kg dumbells for bicep curls, 12kg for tricep dips and the 10 again for lateral raises and shoulder presses.

Lifting weights has helped me immensely. I don't doubt that the cardio assisted some (strong repetitive movements in zumba) in helping melting the fat so the muscles popped through, but in terms of shaping my body I cannot thank weightlifting enough.

Some photos for reference - me at 16 stone/224lbs, me at my current weight (just over 10 stone/140lb) and my arm progress picture for October 2012.

Sorry for the waffle! Hope this helps some.

Incredible transformation.
  • nexangelus
    nexangelus Posts: 2,080 Member
    Options
    I am not really really short, I have no pics, but I have measurements and bodyfat % changes. I began my fitness journey in April. I have not lost any "weight". In fact it went up, then down again. BUT my waist is 2 inches smaller, and my bodyfat % has dropped from 31.5 to 27.3. I have not counted calories or done tonnes of cardio. Most of this is strength training. I am five foot five inches tall. I have used stronglifts (training 3 days per week for up to 60 mins) and am now doing Wendler's 5/3/1 (train 3 times per week for up to 45 mins). I am not new to heavy lifting, have been able to lift heavy since I was 19. Have only just now reached a similar bench press weight (60kg) I used to do with ease back then. I am not bulky or muscle bound, I do not have enough testosterone or growth hormone to boost the natural growth that much. So I am leaner and getting there slowly but surely. Eating at a deficit recently has helped it along. I mostly use compound lifts with a barbell, no machines. I also do pull ups, dips, lunges with 16 kg kettlebells in each hand, kettlebell swings with the 20 kg one (need a 24 kg now really), push ups, that kind of thing. I run and cycle as my transport.

p.s. I eat around 120 - 140 g of protein per day to maintain lean mass and support growth and strength.
  • WendyFitMomCHANGED
    WendyFitMomCHANGED Posts: 311 Member
    Options
    My advice as always lol check out bodybuilding.com some great weight lifting plans and advice for woman and teens as well as men.
    Really moticational and gets you set in the right direction:)
    x

^ bodybuilding.com has everything you need

Agree with these ladies. I just finished Jamie Eason's LiveFit program which is on there and is a really good one. Lots of good workouts there.
  • kcallas88
    Options
    bump
  • auddii
    auddii Posts: 15,357 Member
    Options
    Some threads for you to look at:

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/884447-do-you-lift-heavy-are-you-bulky

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/815756-not-convinced-give-me-proof-women-weights

I personally decided to start with stronglifts 5x5 because it's an incredibly simple program, and there's an amazing support system in the stronglifts for women group:

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/groups/home/4601-stronglifts-5x5-for-women
  • sandradev1
    sandradev1 Posts: 786 Member
    Options
    I have also started with Stronglifts 5 x 5 and in just 3 weeks am lifting around 72lbs and my shape is already changing for the better and have lost inches.

I cannot get to a gym, so I bought barbell and weight plates, a weights bench and squat stands and manage OK. I do have my OH as a spotter though.

Thoroughly recommend Stronglifts, Starting Strength or NROL4W. Big bang full body compound lifts.
Do you Love MyFitnessPal? Have you crushed a goal or improved your life through better nutrition using MyFitnessPal?
Share your success and inspire others. Leave us a review on Apple Or Google Play stores!