Any keto/low-carbers looking for friends?!

Options
It's been about 3 months since I changed my eating lifestyle to keto (<20g carbs). I couldn't be any more happier since the struggles I used to have with food, but many people don't support low-carb eating! It's always nice to chit-chat, swap recipes, and cheer on a fellow low-carber :D.

Replies

• CheerCoachAmy
    Options
    Your post couldn't come at a better time for me! I just started cutting the carbs and sugars out of my diet this week. I am seeing immediate results, but struggling to get to less than 20 carbs. I'm still eating a mix of vegetables throughout my day, I'd prefer to not eat only dairy, eggs, and meat. Do you know of any 0 carb veggies?
  • Jess_Me_xoxo
    Options
    It was tough for me for the first couple of weeks, but slowly I got the hang of it :D. Sadly all veggies have some amount of carbs in them. I found that spinach, zucchini, squash, and cauliflower have a very low amount (and olives of course...my fav! But I guess that is a fruit)!!

You can make cauliflower mashed potatoes or squash pasta noodles (yumm).

Just remember, it WILL get easier. I don't even think twice about some foods I used to obsess over (bagels & cereal)!
  • kbritt006
    kbritt006 Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    Hi, I started low carb in Feb 2011 and as of November 2011 lost 70lbs. Then came the holidays and I fell off the wagon and gained about 25lbs back. Now In am starting over again. Good luck to you all and wish me luck !
  • kevokie
    kevokie Posts: 53 Member
    Options
    Hey, I'm gonna add the both of ya. I'm doing keto myself. I'm keeping my carbs right around 30-40 per day.
  • Jess_Me_xoxo
    Options
    Hi, I started low carb in Feb 2011 and as of November 2011 lost 70lbs. Then came the holidays and I fell off the wagon and gained about 25lbs back. Now In am starting over again. Good luck to you all and wish me luck !

Thank you & good luck!! Since you are already familiar with low-carb, I'm sure you won't have any problems getting back into the swing of things :D
  • Jess_Me_xoxo
    Options
    Hey, I'm gonna add the both of ya. I'm doing keto myself. I'm keeping my carbs right around 30-40 per day.

:D I love to hear the word Keto from other people LOL!! When I first discovered it I couldn't stop talking about it, but everyone would look at me with this blank face and think I was crazy so I don't use it as a conversation starter anymore :laugh:

I haven't gone above 20-25g, but I'm going to experiment soon to see how many g's I can have and still stay in ketosis!
  • kevokie
    kevokie Posts: 53 Member
    Options
    Yeah, anytime I mention that I'm doing keto, I get the same looks. I have to tell them that it's low carb and then they proceed to make fun of me because I don't eat a ton of bread and potatoes for all meals.
  • Jessb1985
    Jessb1985 Posts: 264 Member
    Options
    Add me if you like!

I eat low/moderate carb. Usually between 50-100g/day as I have insulin resistance. Working well so far and loving eating this way :)
  • legaline
    legaline Posts: 35 Member
    Options
    This is the most effective weight loss method for me, at least historically. Been stuck at a plateau for about 2 months now, so I resigned to give this another go! I'd love to have some diaries to look at!
  • Jess_Me_xoxo
    Options
    I came across this article thing that I bookmarked on my phone for when people say I'm going to gain weight eating the way I do :huh:

http://blog.massivehealth.com/infographics/Carbs_are_killing_you/

:laugh: << That is me in my head while they are reading it! LOL!
  • DunnaStunna
    DunnaStunna Posts: 22 Member
    Options
    Hey my husband and I just started Keto a couple of weeks back. Found this great site cavemanketo.com, he has a lot of really great recipes and ideas on there. I have to agree, when I start talking about Keto everyone says "oh Atkins." not the same but eh who cares what they think :)
  • TinaCleg
    Options
    I also find low carb works for me but I have never gotten to 20 grams or under a day. I definitely eat under 100 grams, which was reccomended by a personal trainer and nutritionist.
  • emcdonie
    emcdonie Posts: 190 Member
    Options
    I am not super low carb, but I absolutely support those who do it.

I am more moderate carb right now. I find I have to monitor my calories AND carbs (roughly I try to keep it around 100 or less). SOme days I am well under my carbs, some I am over a bit. Today is going to probably end up over. But all in all, it helps a lot with my blood sugars.

Anyone may feel free to add me if they wish.
  • 970Mikaela1
    970Mikaela1 Posts: 2,013 Member
    Options
    Im a sorta low carb. As i up my cals to maintenance my carbs have been moving up too! Try to keep them about 25% of my cals about 80or so. Always looking for my ideas:) all can add me too thanks!
  • Jess_Me_xoxo
    Options
    Hey my husband and I just started Keto a couple of weeks back. Found this great site cavemanketo.com, he has a lot of really great recipes and ideas on there. I have to agree, when I start talking about Keto everyone says "oh Atkins." not the same but eh who cares what they think :)

LOVE his recipes!

The cheese chips are awesome! I use presliced muenster cheese and leave them in the microwave for a few more seconds and they taste soooo similar to the burnt pieces you can find in cheeze-it boxes (my fav :P).

http://cavemanketo.com/2012/02/15/playing-with-cheese-parmesan-chips/
  • vytamindi
    vytamindi Posts: 845 Member
    Options
    OMG GUYS! WTF are you doing to your bodies? You need carbs to live!

Hahaha. Just kidding. Been in ketosis myself since May 29. I'm always looking for new friends to support me, and I'll support you in return! :)
  • thaze90
    thaze90 Posts: 68 Member
    Options
    I've been in and out of ketosis for the past 6 months.. always try to be under 50g carb.
  • Jay_Jay_
    Jay_Jay_ Posts: 194 Member
    Options
    I have been in ketosis since March and I have followed strictly low carb everyday since then, less than 25g per day, usually less than 15 though. Most of my loss has been through low carb eating, and a big chunk of that has been keto. My recent blood results came back perfect and I feel (and look) like an entirely new person. I owe a lot of that to keto. 95% of my friends here are also on keto and they all are pretty amazing, so feel free to add me! :)
  • sophie_wr
    sophie_wr Posts: 194 Member
    Options
    just curious, you do low carb because you have health conditions or something like that (I've pcos myself so curious about it).
    thanks !
  • tiffinijo
    tiffinijo Posts: 21 Member
    Options
    Hi I am a low carber and I am looking for friends as well!
    I am finding great recipes and new foods compared to when I first tried LC eating. Would love to add some support to one another.
    Add me :)