GPS Watch

Options
I am thinking about getting a GPS watch. What one is the best and why?

Replies

• tlheppler
    tlheppler Posts: 52 Member
    Options
    Or whay ones should I avoid?
  • tressatnt
    Options
    I have a Garmin Forerunner and I love it. It's the only one I've ever had though so I have nothing to compare it to.
  • tlheppler
    Options
    What model?
  • tlheppler
    Options
    Anybody have the Nike+ Sportswatch?
  • tlheppler
    Options
    Whay did you pay for yours?
  • tressatnt
    Options
    I have the 205, it's "old". I think I paid $170ish or $117, I can't remember, I just know that there was a 7 in it LOL.
  • ukulele2010
    ukulele2010 Posts: 126 Member
    Options
    I have a Garmin forerunner 305 and love it. It's big and relatively old (design wise). There may be some newer options out there. Some older folks note that they prefer the 305 because of the screen size (it's large) compared to some newer models because it is easier to read. But then again, the body size is big too so there is a trade-off-. I think I paid about $200.
  • tlheppler
    Options
    Thanks so much for your responses
  • tlheppler
    Options
    Are there any that sync with MFP?
  • tlheppler
    Options
    which has the best battery life?
  • javery529
    Options
    I have the Nike+ Sportswatch and love it. I'm a runner so it comes in handy for tracking my progress with times and mileage. The GPS mapping and online syncing are also pretty nice and i've found it is pretty accurate. The battery is also pretty good. I use it 2-3 hours a week and aside from having it plugged in when syncing I have only had to charge it 2-3 times after the 2 months i've had it.
  • nphect
    nphect Posts: 474
    Options
    buy a garmin they are the most accurate

i have a garmin 310xt, cause i like the big display.

https://buy.garmin.com/shop/shop.do?cID=142
  • Bookers23
    Bookers23 Posts: 187 Member
    Options
    Garmon is good but suunto ambit is the best! Had a forerunner and thought I loved it until I upgraded to the ambit. The web app that it uses is awesome as is it's functionality and battery life, nothing comes close in my opinion. I also like that it looks like a watch, not a heart monitor. I use it every day training, as well as in tough mudders etc. any questions feel free to ask, I love talking about this thing!
  • nphect
    Options
    Garmon is good but suunto ambit is the best! Had a forerunner and thought I loved it until I upgraded to the ambit. The web app that it uses is awesome as is it's functionality and battery life, nothing comes close in my opinion. I also like that it looks like a watch, not a heart monitor. I use it every day training, as well as in tough mudders etc. any questions feel free to ask, I love talking about this thing!

dam $550! it better be. thanks for that info.
  • tlheppler
    Options
    Thanks for the info, the Suunto sounds great. do you wear it as a daily watch?
  • chiznitz
    Options
    $500 is way to much to spend on a sports watch.

Will you be running and biking? Just running/walking?

Garmin 305's are cheap off of ebay, i just sold mine and upgraded to a 310xt for power training. If you are just running I believe the 205 will do everything you need as well.

I've lost my weight preparing for xterras and mountain bike races and the 305 had everything I needed until i wanted to take it to the next level with power training on the bike.
  • nphect
    Options

Garmin 305's are cheap off of ebay, i just sold mine and upgraded to a 310xt for power training. If you are just running I believe the 205 will do everything you need as well.

I've lost my weight preparing for xterras and mountain bike races and the 305 had everything I needed until i wanted to take it to the next level with power training on the bike.

yeah garmin has specific running watches, unless your a triathlete.
  • PattyC64
    PattyC64 Posts: 56 Member
    Options
    I have the Garmin Forerunner 110 which is a cheaper model. I bought it without the HRM for about $140, but later purchased the HRM. It plugs into the computer for syncing and charging, which is good.

I used to have a Timex where you had to change the battery, and it would sometimes go out while on my run.

I know that there's an app for my iPhone, but I haven't used tried it. I have a Digifit that connects my HRM to my phone, which I like better than using the watch for indoor cardio. For the watch, I have to connect to my computer to see the calories burned, but it shows on my phone immediately.
  • tlheppler
    Options

Walking and runnning for now, however eventually will bike and swim. So water resistency is important.
  • tlheppler
    Options
    Anyone out there selling one in good shape?