My TDEE is 2050 calories.....

Options
Since my TDEE is 2050 calories and I'm making a 20% cut, that puts my calories at 1640. That's how much I'm going to try to eat per day, but MFP suggests I eat only 1500 after I log my exercise. Do I still eat the 1640? And, do I eat 1640 on days I don't workout, or do I just eat like 1200 - 1400?

Replies

• DrMAvDPhD
    DrMAvDPhD Posts: 2,097 Member
    Options
    Go to goals and make them custom to 1640. TDEE-20% is a very reasonable goal, but that method means not eating back exercise calories, so you might want to log them as "1 cal".
  • SHBoss1673
    SHBoss1673 Posts: 7,161 Member
    Options
    Go to goals and make them custom to 1640. TDEE-20% is a very reasonable goal, but that method means not eating back exercise calories, so you might want to log them as "1 cal".

why do you say that? TDEE rises when you work out, so to keep at 20% you'd need to eat more (I.E. eat the exercise calories).
  • adelitas_star
    Options

why do you say that? TDEE rises when you work out, so to keep at 20% you'd need to eat more (I.E. eat the exercise calories).

But doesn't TDEE include exercise?
  • emtjmac
    emtjmac Posts: 1,320 Member
    Options
    What does TDEE mean?
  • zaph0d
    zaph0d Posts: 1,172 Member
    Options
    Since my TDEE is 2050 calories and I'm making a 20% cut, that puts my calories at 1640. That's how much I'm going to try to eat per day, but MFP suggests I eat only 1500 after I log my exercise. Do I still eat the 1640? And, do I eat 1640 on days I don't workout, or do I just eat like 1200 - 1400?

I would go with the 1640 in this case. You've gotten your TDEE via other means; ignore the MFP recommendations, and use it just to log your food and do the bookkeeping.

TDEE includes the exercise.
  • zaph0d
    Options
    What does TDEE mean?

http://bit.ly/N01GFC
  • peachNpunkin
    peachNpunkin Posts: 1,010 Member
    Options
    You eat the 1640 and don't eat back your calories.
  • peachNpunkin
    peachNpunkin Posts: 1,010 Member
    Options
    What does TDEE mean?

Total Daily Energy Expenditure
  • DrMAvDPhD
    Options

TDEE, if calculated correctly, will account for your exercise. That's why you can chose anything between sedentary and extremely active, depending on how much you work out. TDEE-20% allows you to eat the same amount every day, instead of eating tons to make up for a big workout one day but eating half as much on days you can't make it to the gym.
  • emtjmac
    emtjmac Posts: 1,320 Member
    Options
    What does TDEE mean?

I don't want to expend any energy whatsoever on my own part investigating what TDEE means except that which I expend within the confines of this website.
  • lizziebeth1028
    lizziebeth1028 Posts: 3,602 Member
    Options

^^^ Exactly! This is what I do. I'm doing the TDEE method so I log my exercise as 1 calorie!! And yes the 1640 is even for days you don't work out, just make sure you are working out at least 3 to 5 days a week.
  • 3dogsrunning
    3dogsrunning Posts: 27,167 Member
    Options

If you have figured out your own TDEE then you dont eat exercise calories as TDEE includes them and eat that everyday.
    Did you select 2lbs a week weightloss goal from MFP? If so, I believe that may be why there is such a difference.
  • adelitas_star
    Options
    Do I eat 1640 on days I don't exercise, too?
  • adelitas_star
    Options

If you have figured out your own TDEE then you dont eat exercise calories as TDEE includes them.
    Did you select 2lbs a week weightloss goal from MFP? If so, I believe that may be why there is such a difference.

No, I have it selected on 1 lb a week.
  • DrMAvDPhD
    Options

Yup. Make sure when you calculated TDEE. you chose the amount of days you actually do workout. If you find yourself doing more or less than what you calculated, you'll need to adjust it to hit the right goal. But the point would be to eat 1640 every single day.
  • 3dogsrunning
    Options

Sorry I went back to edit to add that. Yes. If you follow TDEE you eat the same everyday even if you don't exercise.

If you follow MFP, you will likely vary.
  • zaph0d
    Options
    What does TDEE mean?

I don't want to expend any energy whatsoever on my own part investigating what TDEE means except that which I expend within the confines of this website.

Fine, stay fat then.
  • 3dogsrunning
    Options

If you have figured out your own TDEE then you dont eat exercise calories as TDEE includes them.

No, I have it selected on 1 lb a week.

Ok. I just always found that For me either way ends up pretty much being the same. I thought it was odd to see such a difference.
  • adelitas_star
    Options

Yup. Make sure when you calculated TDEE. you chose the amount of days you actually do workout. If you find yourself doing more or less than what you calculated, you'll need to adjust it to hit the right goal. But the point would be to eat 1640 every single day.

I chose lightly active because I only exercise 3 days a week. Monday, Wednesday and Friday. Lifting weights for 30 minutes and walking for about an hour.
  • adelitas_star
    Options
    Grrr...can't figure out how to change my calories goal.