Scariest "Healthy" Food

Options

Replies

• DopeItUp
    DopeItUp Posts: 18,771 Member
    Options
    Cheesecake! Some of the really decadent versions can be 1000 calories or more. A slice.
  • gramacanada
    gramacanada Posts: 557 Member
    Options
    "Healthy" breakfast cereal. I was shocked to learn that one serving of a generic raisin bran has more calories in it than one serving of Fruit Loops. The cereals that say healthy on the box are really not healthy at all.

On a side note...did you know that McDonald's chicken nuggets have an anti foaming ingredient in them. That completely grosses me out.

Well yes if you're only looking at calories. But check the differences in food value.
    That counts much more.
  • hvelikans
    Options
    I was shocked by sodium content of the lite Soy milk. I have high blood pressure and wasn't doing myself the favour that I thought I was. My doctor said 'just stick to the cows milk'!
    HV
  • YoshiZelda
    YoshiZelda Posts: 340 Member
    Options
    Peanuts..
  • Acg67
    Acg67 Posts: 12,142 Member
    Options
    What food did you think was healthy but then were shocked by the sugar or sodium? Did you find a healthier alternative to the healthy item? What was it?

For me, it would be some low calorie smoothies i used to drink. Low calories but totally loaded with sugar. Now I make my own so I can sweeten it with a tad of honey.

What makes sugar or sodium unhealthy? And honey's makeup is pretty damn similar to sucrose
  • DonnaLeeCattes
    DonnaLeeCattes Posts: 492 Member
    Options
    yogurt...love it, but don't eat it that much anymore, to much sugar in them.
  • T34418l3angel
    T34418l3angel Posts: 474 Member
    Options
    Subway. Or any sandwich shop for that matter. I used to think eating at subway or other sandwich shops = eating healthy but not always the case, you have to pick wisely same as any fast food place.
  • PetulantOne
    PetulantOne Posts: 2,131 Member
    Options
    Pb&j. I thought- oh this is just a small amount of peanut butter, sugar free jelly, and wheat bread. Can't be that bad! (500 calories)

Oh and almonds. I can eat atleast 1 cup of salted almonds without realizing it. (170 cals for 14 almonds)

^This!! i always thought I was doing good eating a PB&J instead of mcdonalds for lunch, but without measuring everything out, white bread, and full sugar jelly. Holy crap. I still love them and eat them, but it's in much more moderation now. :sad:
  • nikilis
    nikilis Posts: 2,305 Member
    Options
    the sugar content in fruit, like raisins in the larger box (sunmaid) is like 30g. dried apricots serve 20g. banana 15-20g.

I found this out by having a week where I went over by 350g of sugar.

i eat vegetables now. lol.
  • UsedToBeHusky
    UsedToBeHusky Posts: 15,229 Member
    Options
    What food did you think was healthy but then were shocked by the sugar or sodium? Did you find a healthier alternative to the healthy item? What was it?

For me, it would be some low calorie smoothies i used to drink. Low calories but totally loaded with sugar. Now I make my own so I can sweeten it with a tad of honey.

What makes sugar or sodium unhealthy? And honey's makeup is pretty damn similar to sucrose

I was thinking the same thing. Honey is just short of pure sugar.
  • Cespuglio
    Cespuglio Posts: 385 Member
    Options
    Speaking of chicken nuggets... You guys ever see this?

Chickennuggets_zps3dfaa0cb.png
  • UsedToBeHusky
    UsedToBeHusky Posts: 15,229 Member
    Options
    Personally, I eat whatever I want in moderation, therefore, food is not scary for me.

But each to their own... your relationship with food is what it is. Best of luck with that.
  • Bentley2718
    Bentley2718 Posts: 1,690 Member
    Options
    "Healthy" breakfast cereal. I was shocked to learn that one serving of a generic raisin bran has more calories in it than one serving of Fruit Loops. The cereals that say healthy on the box are really not healthy at all.

On a side note...did you know that McDonald's chicken nuggets have an anti foaming ingredient in them. That completely grosses me out.

Well yes if you're only looking at calories. But check the differences in food value.
    That counts much more.

Most raisin bran doesn't have much going for it nutritionally--it's basically a sugar bomb with a little fiber, not that much different from FruitLoops. Even if you look at something like Kashi cereals, which are widely marketed at "healthy," they tend to be very high in sugar, regardless of what else they might have going for them (which in many cases isn't much). Some oatmeal, or even just a simpler cereal, like Cheerios or Rice Krispies (the plain varieties) are probably better options if you're going to eat packaged cereals.
  • PuppyFat44
    Options
    A friend got me on to these beetroot chips she was thinking were really good - I guess because they aren't potato and she thought, hey, beetroot has to be better. So much grease and oil and COVERED in salt though.... there are lots of potato chip alternatives on the market that use 'healthy vegetables' to catch your eye.. the sweet potato kind that claim to be better for you, these beetroot ones, "veggie chips" that include lots of different ingredients, or even just potato ones that are NEW IMPROVED wholemeal or multigrain. often they're even worse but almost all 'chips' have a ridiculous amount of lipid and sodium!
  • Bentley2718
    Bentley2718 Posts: 1,690 Member
    Options

I was thinking the same thing. Honey is just short of pure sugar.

Honey is sugar that has been refined by a bee's digestive system rather than a factory. Yum...or something...
  • Jorra
    Jorra Posts: 3,338 Member
    Options
    Speaking of chicken nuggets... You guys ever see this?

Chickennuggets_zps3dfaa0cb.png

I don't know anyone who hasn't. This does not deter me at all.

I don't avoid sugar or sodium like it's the plague. If I don't eat enough sodium, I pass out very easily.
  • MikeG2
    MikeG2 Posts: 97 Member
    Options
    My regular breakfast was two whole wheat bagels, one with cheese, and another with pb&j. I'm guessing 800 calories, plus whatever I drank, usually orange juice!

Sounded healthy to me before I counted up the calories.
  • wordena
    wordena Posts: 177 Member
    Options
    Bananas. And noodles. Whole wheat still have lots of calories like white. Now I've switched to shiratakie tofu noodles.
  • nikilis
    nikilis Posts: 2,305 Member
    Options
    My regular breakfast was two whole wheat bagels, one with cheese, and another with pb&j. I'm guessing 800 calories, plus whatever I drank, usually orange juice!

Sounded healthy to me before I counted up the calories.

definitely a massive calorie count, but doesn't it sound good people! that breakfast is a sleeper someone who doesn't think about counting calories could see that its a good breakfast.

I love bagels, but just too many calories!
  • justbecause2014
    justbecause2014 Posts: 371 Member
    Options
    This isn't a "healthy" food but I was SHOCKED to find out that flour has calories!! Who knew!? lol