pizza question

Options

Replies

• darleyschroeder
    Options
    For future pizza partaking you could try to do Dominos. I like to get the thin crust pizzas (I like the toppings better than the bread) and get light cheese.
    2 slices of a medium thin crust with light cheese, garlic and veggie toppings is 275 calories. That is a bargain for 2 slices of pizza.
    Then round out the meal with a big bowl of salad and go light on the dressing.

My husband and I do the Domino's special. for a little under $14 we can both get our own medium pizza when we get carry out. This way he can have the fattiest pizza slices he wants and I can have a lighter option. That way I don't limit myself to just one piece or have to stare in jealousy at his pizza.

Orrrrrr just make your own and you control the nutrition 100%
  • RikanSoulja
    RikanSoulja Posts: 463 Member
    Options
    My fiance' wanted to get pizza for dinner and I obliged. I got a garden delight pizza (cheese, tomato, green peppers, onions) and scraped all the toppings off of the crust onto an 80 calorie fiber one tortilla. How many calories do you think I ate in 4 slices worth of toppings only plus the 80 cal tortilla? I guesstimated 400 calories although it may be higher. I just think that I saved a lot of cals by not eating any of the crusts. Please no mean replies, there seem to be a lot of mean people on here lately and it makes me kind of upset when people don't have respect for others.

You sort of like how you showed zero respect for the pizza? Really the dough doesn't contribute all that much to the cals, if you've ever made homemade dough for an entire pizza, it's not a ton of cals, however the toppings will likely exceed the cals for the dough, esp the cheese

Since when do we have to show respect to a pizza??? lol If that is how you want to eat it go ahead and again it wont hurt you to eat a regular slice or 2 as something nice every once in a while either.

Pizza deserves respect. Don't disrespect pizza or you will regret it
  • SomeoneSomeplace
    SomeoneSomeplace Posts: 1,094 Member
    Options
    I personally just skip the cheese on my pizza

Blasphemous I know but I honlestly don't really like cheese and don't think it adds that much flavor especially when you're eating it with veggies and siarcha, which is my style.
  • zaph0d
    zaph0d Posts: 1,172 Member
    Options
    Threads like this digust me. scraping the toppings of a pizza onto a tortilla? suggesting dominoes pizza? Revolting.
  • ihateroses
    ihateroses Posts: 893 Member
    Options
    You had some cheese and veggies and probably some oil. Just guesstimate that plus your bread.

...man I hope you at least gave that crust to some birds. Waste is sad :/ (no hippie intended...just hungry for some pizza crust...)
  • TorontoDiane
    TorontoDiane Posts: 1,413 Member
    Options
    the cheese can add alot of fat and calories but its the best part... thick crust I agree isn't the best for our weight loss goals... I always order thin crust pizza and most pizza places dont overdo the cheese.. they add more veggies to cover up the fact there is not alot of cheese on the pizza so I am sure the one cup for the 4 slices is probably about right... veggies is not many calories and you just add in your own crust

I do tend to make my own either with flour tortillas which I love better anyways.. or cut open a pita bread and do it that way ... just as yummy and you can control the cals... but we have to allow ourselves some indulgence sometimes
  • amann1976
    amann1976 Posts: 742 Member
    Options
    just eat the freaking pizza... a slice or two is not going to kill you. sometimes it is ok to let your hair down a bit. moderation and portion control
  • NeuroticVirgo
    NeuroticVirgo Posts: 3,671 Member
    Options
    Do they have calories listed on their website?

I wouldn't think it would be very high because most of the calories are in the crust. Most pizzas I have seen, range anywhere from 200-280 a slice. If you didn't have meat, that takes a lot off. I would say you are right around the calorie range, guessing 400.

I agree with you about mean people on here lately. Been seeing that more than I ever have.
    I usually just ask my friends on here cause I know I have a great bunch of ladies :)

Most pizza's I've seen the calories are in the crust too. Though because of the cheese I'd guess closer to 500.
  • Itsme_Mary
    Itsme_Mary Posts: 17 Member
    Options
    I can not live without pizza.. Absolutely my fave. This is my opinion, I have a digital food scale that I love. I would weigh all of that topping all together, I would count all of that even with the veggies as cheese credit , mozzarella , full fat And then Add probably a cup ( for 4 pieces of pizza) of mixed veggies. And maybe 1/2 c sauce. I weigh most everything. It should be fairy accurate. Maybe a bit over. Hope that's helpfull. BTW. When I eat pizza with the crust, see if you can find cal by the oz. then weight how many oz you eat. It will be way more accurate.
  • Itsme_Mary
    Options
    just eat the freaking pizza... a slice or two is not going to kill you. sometimes it is ok to let your hair down a bit. moderation and portion control

I kind of agree here.. If you don't have it now and then you will crave it. Just eat it within your calories, also I am a pizza lover. I will plan pizza days . So I add all my other food on my journal, then I know if I should eat 1 or more pcs. Also I like 1 pic and a salad. Maybe that's for you to?
  • Itsme_Mary
    Options
    I think you will find most of the calories in the CHEESE!!
  • nikilis
    nikilis Posts: 2,305 Member
    Options
    healthy eating whilst trying to loose weight doesn't mean your supposed to be unhappy.

did it make you happy to scrape off the toppings from the pizza, put it in a tortilla and eat it?

you could have just had 2 or three pieces of pizza and a salad instead of making the world sad by doing what you did.

there's no need to punish yourself like that! pizza can be part of a balanced diet without all the

***POST EDITED BY STAFF in response to guideline 12 ***
    http://www.myfitnesspal.com/welcome/guidelines
  • ecw3780
    ecw3780 Posts: 608 Member
    Options
    With all the cranky, crust pushing people on here I am going to congratulate you on scraping off the toppings. I also give you props on loading up with the veggies- I do that too. Very rarely is there a lot of whole grain in pizza crust, and putting the toppings on a high fiber tortilla will probably keep you full longer. Yes, you had cheese, but probably only about two servings worth. Pizza places tend to use shredded cheese which goes a lot further. I agree with the other people about adding up the toppings.
    The bigger issue is why do all these people care how you eat your pizza. I like my pizza cold, in the middle of the night. Is that okay with everyone? If you enjoyed your dinner, you did fine.
  • Cristofori44
    Options
    This is the kind of math that ends up being more complicated than the federal budget...

Domino's lists 45-80 calories per slice for cheese. Take the midrange, multiply by four, add in the veggie calories, and the tortilla, and you probably come out with the equivalent of eating two slices of the pizza.

Also, it might be the case that the pizza crust, if made onsite, may be healthier for you than the store-bought tortilla (which is a processed food item).
  • kw85296
    kw85296 Posts: 265 Member
    Options
    Depending on how much cheese was on the pizza, you estimate might be slightly low. The veggies are many calories, but cheese is usually around 100 calories per 1/4 cup unless it is low fat/part skim milk then is would probably be closer to 80 calories. If it was a thin crust pizza, you may not have saved that many calories by scraping in onto the tortilla, if it was a thick crust pizza, you probably saved a lot of calories. Hope this helps. :smile:
  • Haikugurl
    Haikugurl Posts: 31 Member
    Options
    This Domino's pizza topping calculator might be helpful for a guesstimate: https://order.dominos.com/en/pages/content/nutritional/cal-o-meter.jsp
  • nikilis
    nikilis Posts: 2,305 Member
    Options
    The bigger issue is why do all these people care how you eat your pizza. I like my pizza cold, in the middle of the night. Is that okay with everyone? If you enjoyed your dinner, you did fine.

eating pizza cold or hot or at a time of the day is fine. scraping it into a tortilla makes it NOT pizza. thats a very expensive quesadilla.

I just think thats a sad way to live. its like taking all the light out of the world.

I'm sure if you did that with every meal you could save a lot of calories, you know like scraping the strawberries out of the yoghurt into a tortilla for breakfast. draining the pasta sauce out of a ravioli, or the internals of a subway sandwich for lunch.

its not a good way to live.

just eat 2 today and two tomorrow. I couldn't watch someone scrape a pizza like that, even for caloric or dietary reasons.

you could have just had a salad or some kind of side!

I had do idea how patriotic I am about pizza.
  • Cristofori44
    Options

I just think thats a sad way to live. its like taking all the light out of the world.

I'm sure if you did that with every meal you could save a lot of calories, you know like scraping the strawberries out of the yoghurt into a tortilla for breakfast. draining the pasta sauce out of a ravioli, or the internals of a subway sandwich for lunch.

I had do idea how patriotic I am about pizza.

I am with you on this one. My version of hell is being offered a pizza and then having someone scrape it to shreds before my eyes.

And they take away the wine, too.

But, to each her own.
  • thomasxaviersayles
    Options
    As a general rule that includes the crust, I use a rule of thumb that each slice of pizza is somewhere between 400 and 500 calories, The reason for this is simple, cheese and crust and of course if one eliminates the pepperoni that greatly reduces the calories. I love pizza but I can't fit it into my nutrition schedule and stay within limits.
    I might suggest portion control and also doing a bit of study on just how much cheese and other things are on it. Once you know that, you can make good decisions.
    Also enjoy your food, regardless of whether it is pizza or something else.
  • aliciakay3086
    aliciakay3086 Posts: 61 Member
    Options
    I'm with some others that I think this sounds extremely wasteful. And not sustainable...do you go to these extremes when you eat out or eat with others? The toppings from FOUR slices onto ONE crust?...that sounds kind of gross. It's probably better to practice some portion control.

Just my two cents.