Do thin people think about food as much as I do?

Options

Replies

• thektturner
    thektturner Posts: 228 Member
    Options
    Thanks all for the different points of view. I wonder if I am not eating enough calories each day? I am eating a balanced diet with whole grains, fruit, veg, and protein but about 1200 calories per day. I am 5'7" and 302 pounds. I have had a headache for 48 hours so I wonder if need more daily calories? All I have been drinking is water and plain tea, then again maybe the headache is form the caffiene?

The amount of calories you are eating needs to be an appropriate reflection of the weight you are currently, your activity level, and your deficit goals. It can be counter-productive to decrease your calorie intake too rapidly or too drastically.

However, I would say that the cause of your headache is probably caffeine withdrawal. Depending on the amount you used to consume, this could last for almost a week. Just power through (or take Advil) and remember: if you "cheat" and drink soda or coffee again, you will have this headache again at some point. Always motivates me to stay away from it!
  • lynnmariep86
    Options
    I've been skinny and fat. For me, the only way to be skinny was to constantly obsess about food. It gets old.
    Also, you are asking the question on a forum for people who obsess about food, so I suspect that close to 100% of the people on here will reply that they think about food a lot. Not exactly a random sample. I'd be very interested to hear what people say who don't have to try to be skinny.
  • fun_b
    fun_b Posts: 199 Member
    Options
    I still think about food all the time but it is different now. When I was at my heaviest, I was always hungry and thinking about what I was going to have for each meal. I would get excited and would want to eat excess amounts of everything even when I was full because food gave me pleasure.

I lost weight through a low carb diet and I went from thinking about food all the time to not having an appetite.

Now that I am on myfitnesspal, I do think about food a lot more again but this is because I plan my meals to ensure I have enough calories. So yes I do think about food all the time but in a different way from before. If I am having a crap day, I no longer feel that a doughnut will make me feel better. Btw, I wouldn't consider myself thin but I am a lot thinner than I was.
  • trophywife24
    trophywife24 Posts: 1,472 Member
    Options
    Yes. I love to eat, I love food. I just finished my breakfast and am sitting here thinking about dinner and what I need to go buy to make what I want.

However I will say since loosing my weight, my thoughts have gone from "How can I manage to go out to eat today?" to "I need to go by fresh parsley for chicken wraps." I think about food in a completely different way but I still do think about it quite a bit.
  • neverstray
    neverstray Posts: 3,845 Member
    Options
    I think about food a lot. Maybe too much. But, in many ways, it's because I have to plan. Eating healthy takes tremendous effort. This is why most people don't do it. To eat right and ensure you are eating proper fruits and veggies, getting all your vitamins and staying on track with your macros is mind-numbing. It does take some planning and thinking. I'm way more relaxed about it on weekends when I'm home because I can eat whatever I want when I want. But, during the week, I'm stuck at work, and I have to think about all my meals in advance plus snacks. But, this isn't bad. It's a different way of living. It means you are considering and thinking about your meals and you are not just spazzing out and eating a box of cookies.
  • mkzara
    mkzara Posts: 73 Member
    Options
    I think about food a lot.

I walk into work and I start planning for lunch. So at 9 am, I already want lunch. When I walk back from lunch, I already have either a sugar craving or a salt craving again. After dinner I think about the one spoonful of ice cream I allow myself or the little pringles tub.

I am always thinking about food and rarely do I believe it has to do with actual need.

I am all craving based. I really don't think I need the food I think about, it's that I want the food I think about. I feel like you can tell the difference. When I was on a 900 calorie diet, I needed more food. When I was on a no-card diet, I needed carbs. Now I just want more food because it tastes good.
  • arifrancesca
    Options
    I've been skinny and fat. For me, the only way to be skinny was to constantly obsess about food. It gets old.
    Also, you are asking the question on a forum for people who obsess about food, so I suspect that close to 100% of the people on here will reply that they think about food a lot. Not exactly a random sample. I'd be very interested to hear what people say who don't have to try to be skinny.

OK just figured out the quote thing (duh!). I know it is fitness forum but there are a lot of very fit people on here so interesting responses really to find out that even people who aren't heavy think about food a lot :)
  • arifrancesca
    Options
    I think about food a lot. Maybe too much. But, in many ways, it's because I have to plan. Eating healthy takes tremendous effort. This is why most people don't do it. To eat right and ensure you are eating proper fruits and veggies, getting all your vitamins and staying on track with your macros is mind-numbing. It does take some planning and thinking. I'm way more relaxed about it on weekends when I'm home because I can eat whatever I want when I want. But, during the week, I'm stuck at work, and I have to think about all my meals in advance plus snacks. But, this isn't bad. It's a different way of living. It means you are considering and thinking about your meals and you are not just spazzing out and eating a box of cookies.

Thanks I like this view point, I guess if I didn't plan then I might end up eating more than I should. It feels a bit obsessive but maybe it will start to feel like a routine soon.
  • arifrancesca
    Options
    I think about food a lot.

I walk into work and I start planning for lunch. So at 9 am, I already want lunch. When I walk back from lunch, I already have either a sugar craving or a salt craving again. After dinner I think about the one spoonful of ice cream I allow myself or the little pringles tub.

I am always thinking about food and rarely do I believe it has to do with actual need.

I am all craving based. I really don't think I need the food I think about, it's that I want the food I think about. I feel like you can tell the difference. When I was on a 900 calorie diet, I needed more food. When I was on a no-card diet, I needed carbs. Now I just want more food because it tastes good.

Definitely with you on that one!
  • 3foldchord
    3foldchord Posts: 2,918 Member
    Options
    I think about food all the time. more in a planning sort of way. (I have never been overwight, just here to loose a few vanity pounds)
    My friend who is thin thinks about food all the time!

I am actually thinner when I obssess about food. When I was not thinking about food and what/when to eat this/that- I just ate. and gained weight. for me, obsessing about food keeps me eating the right amounts of the needed macros as the right time.
  • tigersword
    tigersword Posts: 8,059 Member
    Options
    Thanks all for the different points of view. I wonder if I am not eating enough calories each day? I am eating a balanced diet with whole grains, fruit, veg, and protein but about 1200 calories per day. I am 5'7" and 302 pounds. I have had a headache for 48 hours so I wonder if need more daily calories? All I have been drinking is water and plain tea, then again maybe the headache is form the caffiene?

The amount of calories you are eating needs to be an appropriate reflection of the weight you are currently, your activity level, and your deficit goals. It can be counter-productive to decrease your calorie intake too rapidly or too drastically.

However, I would say that the cause of your headache is probably caffeine withdrawal. Depending on the amount you used to consume, this could last for almost a week. Just power through (or take Advil) and remember: if you "cheat" and drink soda or coffee again, you will have this headache again at some point. Always motivates me to stay away from it!
    Tea has more caffeine than a typical soda, and slightly less than coffee, so there's no withdrawal there.
  • mfpcopine
    mfpcopine Posts: 3,093 Member
    Options
    I've always been thin. Up until the age of 30 I could eat anything I wanted and I love food so it wasn't an issue. As my metabolism has slowed over the years I've had to think carefully about how I eat in order not to become overweight. Although my weight has crept up over the years -- today I'm 101.5, and I've been a few pounds higher some years -- it's nothing to what it would have been if I hadn't considered what I ate.

I tend to think about food most (when not hungry) mostly when I'm bored and sedentary. I did notice that one of my siblings, who has gained a lot of weight seemed obsessed with food. As soon as we'd finished a healthy brunch and were planning to walk around the city she was concerned about where we were going to have lunch. We were in NYC, there's plenty of food everywhere at all hours. She also couldn't walk as far as in the past and I couldn't but wonder if that her weight had contributed. She's starting to lose again.

Sometimes it seems like a curse to live in a town that has some of the best food in the world and to be able to indulge so seldom. But feeling and looking good and boosting (I hope) my health are more important.

Some models and actors are naturally thin when young, but many have to diet. I'm sure some of them think about food quite a bit.
  • animatorswearbras
    animatorswearbras Posts: 1,001 Member
    Options

I think you're definatley eating too little I've just done a calculation of your BMR and TDEE from the stats you gave on the thread (height weight age) and your BMR (what your body burns just making your organs function) is roughly 2000 and your maintenanceTDEE (what you burn going about your day to day life I imput sedentary ie a desk job) is 2500.

Most people on here say you should not eat below your BMR as that is the minimum your body needs to function if you were in a coma, so you can safely eat at 2000cals and lose you will still have a defeceit of 500 cals a day (hopefully you won't feel half as starved and poorly either) :) If you go under 2000 I would probably speak to your doctor. If you want to lose quicker you could always add some walking exercises, a few minutes extra walking a day will make a big difference. Good luck xxxx
  • Lost240
    Options
    Girl! Food is ALL I think about. It drives me nuts. I am 5'6. I was 150lbs 2 weeks ago. I was 130lbs a year ago! I've slowly been gaining more weight because I am so out of control with trying to feed my appetite. For the past week and a half I have been forcing myself not to give in, and when I do I just eat fruits and veggies, but that still leaves me incredibly unsatisfied. Last night I'm pretty sure I would have killed someone for a nutty bar. I've lost 5lbs over the past week and a half so I guess what I'm doing now is working. Now if only the emotional side could catch up with that. I just keep telling myself that when I remember what it's like to fit into my wardrobe, and to be happy when I look in the mirror, that I will lose the cravings. I know there are other reasons I am obsessing over food though. Food is my drug. I, without a doubt, eat away any emotion or problem that I have. Sitting around, watching tv, and eating something delicious always makes me feel better... for 5 minutes.. until I remember how miserable I feel about myself. I also have acid reflux so I tend to convince myself that eating will make me feel better there too. Anyways... it's nice to know that someone else out there thinks of food constantly too. I wish you good luck on your fitness goals!!
  • neverstray
    neverstray Posts: 3,845 Member
    Options

Thanks I like this view point, I guess if I didn't plan then I might end up eating more than I should. It feels a bit obsessive but maybe it will start to feel like a routine soon.

It's not obsession. It's thinking purposefully about nutrition. It feels different because you aren't used to it. I think about exercise the same way. I post my schedule on my frdige. I don't always stick to it, but I force make up sessions when I miss, and things like that. It's simply being accountable to yourself. That's what it feels like to make a promise to yourself and follow through with it. It takes committment and drive and a lot of thought to change the way you previously behaved when it came to food and nutrition.

Eventually, you will get used to it and feel like its normal. You will be reminded sometimes by family and friends that it's not normal, excrpt you will notice that they are fat and you are not. So, you're right and they aren't. It's healthy and good.

An obsession is more like something that s bad. Like being obsessed with alcohol or something. Obsessing about health and nutrition is not necessarily bad. As long as you are living your life normally and fitting excerise and nutrition into that.
  • arifrancesca
    Options

I think you're definatley eating too little I've just done a calculation of your BMR and TDEE from the stats you gave on the thread (height weight age) and your BMR (what your body burns just making your organs function) is roughly 2000 and your maintenanceTDEE (what you burn going about your day to day life I imput sedentary ie a desk job) is 2500.

Most people on here say you should not eat below your BMR as that is the minimum your body needs to function if you were in a coma, so you can safely eat at 2000cals and lose you will still have a defeceit of 500 cals a day (hopefully you won't feel half as starved and poorly either) :) If you go under 2000 I would probably speak to your doctor. If you want to lose quicker you could always add some walking exercises, a few minutes extra walking a day will make a big difference. Good luck xxxx

Looks like I need to speak to my doctor, I would be very happy to eat more than 1200 calories a day and lose weight, thanks for the info.
  • arifrancesca
    Options

Thank you - you are right, I have never planned meals like this before and counted every calorie that goes into my mouth. Everyone has an opinion about weightloss so for now I am going to count calories and try to be more active since this is the only weightloss method I haven't tried lol!

It's not obsession. It's thinking purposefully about nutrition. It feels different because you aren't used to it. I think about exercise the same way. I post my schedule on my frdige. I don't always stick to it, but I force make up sessions when I miss, and things like that. It's simply being accountable to yourself. That's what it feels like to make a promise to yourself and follow through with it. It takes committment and drive and a lot of thought to change the way you previously behaved when it came to food and nutrition.

Eventually, you will get used to it and feel like its normal. You will be reminded sometimes by family and friends that it's not normal, excrpt you will notice that they are fat and you are not. So, you're right and they aren't. It's healthy and good.

An obsession is more like something that s bad. Like being obsessed with alcohol or something. Obsessing about health and nutrition is not necessarily bad. As long as you are living your life normally and fitting excerise and nutrition into that.
  • arifrancesca
    Options
    Girl! Food is ALL I think about. It drives me nuts. I am 5'6. I was 150lbs 2 weeks ago. I was 130lbs a year ago! I've slowly been gaining more weight because I am so out of control with trying to feed my appetite. For the past week and a half I have been forcing myself not to give in, and when I do I just eat fruits and veggies, but that still leaves me incredibly unsatisfied. Last night I'm pretty sure I would have killed someone for a nutty bar. I've lost 5lbs over the past week and a half so I guess what I'm doing now is working. Now if only the emotional side could catch up with that. I just keep telling myself that when I remember what it's like to fit into my wardrobe, and to be happy when I look in the mirror, that I will lose the cravings. I know there are other reasons I am obsessing over food though. Food is my drug. I, without a doubt, eat away any emotion or problem that I have. Sitting around, watching tv, and eating something delicious always makes me feel better... for 5 minutes.. until I remember how miserable I feel about myself. I also have acid reflux so I tend to convince myself that eating will make me feel better there too. Anyways... it's nice to know that someone else out there thinks of food constantly too. I wish you good luck on your fitness goals!!

Thanks - same to you and thanks for sharing, I love the fact that someone who weighs far less than me understands!
  • apokorn
    Options
    I was always thin and athletic before I had children, but I do not remember a time when I did not constantly think about food. I think a brain can be obsessive and unhealthy no matter what the body looks like. I am trying to change my thought patterns now, by distracting myself, but it is hard.

My mom goes to compulsive eaters anonymous, because she is really addicted to food and obsessed. They give her a really strict food plan and there is absolutely no eating between meals, so she can't think about it the same way. She lost 100 pounds, and is no longer fat, she is a healthy weight, but in her mind she is still an addict. Once again the mind doesn't match the body.

I think it depends on the person. Even at 120 pounds I could not understand someone who forgot to eat.

Angie
  • apokorn
    Options
    Also, you probably do need more calories. 1200 is very low, so you may want to look at that. It is very hard to stay on an eating plan and lose wait consistently when you are starving.