What do you do when you eat at a friend's house?

Options

Replies

• amann1976
    amann1976 Posts: 742 Member
    Options
    one bad meal every so often is not going to wreck you or cause you to gain extra weight.
  • cbrrabbit25
    cbrrabbit25 Posts: 384 Member
    Options
    take something that you can eat as an addition to their meal.
  • AmyP619
    AmyP619 Posts: 1,137 Member
    Options
    I agree with eat what she's serving. I can't imagine she's serving something so unhealthy as to wreck your entire day/week. You can do portion control, as well. If I know I'm going out to eat or going somewhere else for dinner, I'm good for the entire day and save most of my calories for dinner. Just get back on track tomorrow. If it's once in a while, there's no harm done.
  • cbrrabbit25
    cbrrabbit25 Posts: 384 Member
    Options
    You have to be able to say no if it is something you honestly do not want to eat. YOU SHOULD NEVER EAT WHAT YOU DONT WANT TO MAKE OTHERS HAPPY! trust me, this only makes you unhappy afterwards. Make sure your friends are understanding and let them know ahead of time that you will bring something since you are on a stricter diet. Yes, it may not hinder your weight loss, but if you are they type that it would effect emotionally, then just do what you want to do.
  • Mistyblu08
    Mistyblu08 Posts: 580 Member
    Options
    I drink whatever beer is in the fridge and tell them I'm doing them a favor.

lmbo love it!!!
  • Mistyblu08
    Mistyblu08 Posts: 580 Member
    Options
    You have to be able to say no if it is something you honestly do not want to eat. YOU SHOULD NEVER EAT WHAT YOU DONT WANT TO MAKE OTHERS HAPPY! trust me, this only makes you unhappy afterwards. Make sure your friends are understanding and let them know ahead of time that you will bring something since you are on a stricter diet. Yes, it may not hinder your weight loss, but if you are they type that it would effect emotionally, then just do what you want to do.

This definitely! Stay true to yourself! If they are good friends they are already gonna know you are trying to be healthy and arent going to mind you doing what you have to do to be healthy and will in fact encourage you....its not an insult to the host/hostess to bring something or take smaller portions....the old days of "burping" to signal that the meal was wonderful are bygone days lol in most cultures if you didnt burp you were rude lol just thought I would add that for a chuckle lol...anyways spent my life always trying to make other people happy ....one it never really works...some people are just never happy and two it made me feel miserable afterwards and mad at myself for not standing up and saying no thank you
  • cherbapp
    cherbapp Posts: 322
    Options
    I agree with whoever said not to bring the salad unless you have always brought something before. It's so annoying to people who are not trying to lose weight to have it brought up with the subtle suggestion that their food is 'bad'.

Really the biggest problem in this country is portion sizes. Ok maybe not the BIGGEST....but the LARGEST? Lol

Just take less. Spread it out on your plate. Eat their kind offering with pleasure. Get your workout in before you go, and eat lighter all day. Don't help 'clean up'....this is my problem....taking more because it looks good. So I avoid cleanup. Lol
  • lisabinco
    lisabinco Posts: 1,016 Member
    Options
    Stick with your program. You could offer to make a salad for them.
    Good advice! After years of being vegetarian, eating out and at other's homes, I know to bring something I can eat.
    Nowadays I also have to watch my sodium intake, so most people can accept my food portions and choices are for my health. It's not as threatening to them.
    I find people are more accepting of health-related "diet" needs than they are of ethics-related eating needs. So maybe a remark like "I need to watch my portions for my blood pressure (or whatever) these days." will help you out.
  • Miche11e5
    Miche11e5 Posts: 114 Member
    Options
    Plan for it by eating well for the rest of the day, bring a salad or something along (as others have suggested) and eat small portions.

You could also take turns and have them to your place cooking for them on occasion too!
  • Angie_1991
    Angie_1991 Posts: 447 Member
    Options
    Eat what they're serving, just less of it.

this
  • Snooozie
    Snooozie Posts: 3,447 Member
    Options
    Eat what your friends are serving, or decline the invitation for dinner and opt to get together outside of meal times.
  • Colexlovely
    Colexlovely Posts: 133 Member
    Options
    I don't know if this will help but I eat at my boyfriends house a lot and now they make sure that they have something for me to eat. I am Mostly vegan so they always have veggie burgers or something like that for me.
  • RandomMiranda
    Options
    Depending on the friend, I'm comfortable mentioning before hand that I am watching my calorie intake. I'll simply say, "what are you planning to make? I want to make sure I plan my day so it will fit my calorie goals." Obviously you can't say that to everyone, but if this is someone whose home you are eating at regularly it might be an option. It doesn't require them to change anything (although if they know you are watching calories they might make an effort to have some healthful options), it just gives you the opportunity to plan well. I live in Texas, and eating at other people's homes often includes Velveeta on everything and lots of desserts, so planning for a high calorie meal is essential.
  • love4fitnesslove4food_wechange
    Options
    Bring something to share that's healthy and eat a smaller portion of the less healthy foods.
  • felice03
    felice03 Posts: 2,732 Member
    Options
    I think if you are agreeing to go have a meal at their house it would be rude not to eat what they are serving. However, if she is a good friend you should be able to discuss it with her...I assume she knows about your healthy changes. Offer to alternate houses. You can offer to bring a lighter side dish but I would still eat a resonable portion of what she made...
  • sexikc
    sexikc Posts: 153 Member
    Options
    I like the idea of offering to bring a salad...I probably wouldnt offer tho. I would just show up with it cuz I wouldnt want may friend to tell me no lol

What I normally do tho is just eat what they have, watch my portions. It is planned so you can eat a bit lighter the rest of the day. I really dont like to feel like I cant enjoy normal social gatherings. I personally think if you just eat healthy regularly, when you socialize you can be guilt free as long as you go back to your healthy eating and exercise right away.
  • skullshank
    skullshank Posts: 4,323 Member
    Options
    i didnt read the replies, but remember to say "please" and "thank you."

also, put your napkin in your lap, and if there are multiple forks, just start on the outside and work your way in.

other than that...have a great time!
  • heagler870
    heagler870 Posts: 280 Member
    Options
    This is what I do. I eat what is being served. I no longer over eat until I am stuffed so I stop when I'm full. I have only been on my journey for a little over 10 months now but I have changed my eating habits completely. I eat as mindfully as possible and my kitchen has healthy food but if I am somewhere I have to eat with friends and there is absolutely nothing healthy then I just eat what's there. I eat mindfully. It has really become normal to me now. I no longer worry about over eating even if it's ridiculously good food. That's just what I do.
  • MbBuckman
    Options
    When I go over I spread the calories over the next week through diet and exerceise. For example I indulge and go over my goal by 500 calories. I eat 50 fewer calories per day and also burn an extra 50 per day. In five days I'm back on track and the adjustments were easy to make and live with.

Please note my goal is to loose one pound per week. So it is easy for me to work in some wiggle room.