Any Homeschooling Parents?

Options
124»

Replies

• amazondakini
    amazondakini Posts: 69 Member
    Options
    Hello, We home school as well - they went to K for Montessori and then stayed home, we love it - not committed to doing it forever, we just take it one year at a time - now in 4th and 5th grade. I agree with the comment that any education process requires parental involvement for success - there are failures at public, private, home etc... Just as there are successes, and I think that 99% of the successes come from a strong family. I tell people though, that homeschooling is not a hobby, or even a job, it is a lifestyle. I love it and it works for our family - I pass no judgment on any other family's choices -I pray every day for the direction and strength to do what is right for my family, i have NO idea what is right for another family. Cheers!
  • mandypizzle
    mandypizzle Posts: 633 Member
    Options
    My kids are VERY social. They are very active in sports, Awanas, we go to a homeschool co op once a week that is huge. They have many friends, cousins, siblings ect. They are anything but unsocialized as are all homeschool families that I personally know. I don't really see how throwing kids into a room full of kids their same age all day long socializes them honestly. That's not a natural environment. I was in public school and was very socially inept. I was bullied through elementary very badly and hated myself until I was an adult. I don't think it matters where they go to school. As parents we need to be active in our kids education and social life and be aware of anything going on with them. Not saying public school is horrible either... I'm just playing it year by year. They could go to public school eventually. Who knows.
    How do your kids make friends and socialize with other children if they are homeschooled? I'm not criticizing, I'm just wondering
  • RGv2
    RGv2 Posts: 5,789 Member
    Options
    My sister is home schooled.

I was NOT. I was salutatorian at my high school and went on to a university.

I was VERY against her being home schooled at first. I thought it would make her into an unsocial freak to be honest.

all i can say is....

I was WRONG. She learns more and has more time to hang out with children and has wayyy more opportunities. She does field trips 3-4 times a week and meets so many people.

I do believe it is something you have to see to believe.

Home school children have a certain stereotype. And that is exactly what it is... a stereotype. Do not buy into the bull. They are not freaks. They are not weird. They do interact with other kids, way more than I did in school. Public school worked for me perfectly fine, but I wish I would have been home schooled.

Kind of like the public school sterotype.

See what I did there?

Exactly. It is just a stereotype, but like I said. I was in public school my whole life. My brother is a sophomore in public schools. It works fine. I see both sides. I did not mind my experience. I would not change it. I did AFJROTC, marching band, pep band. volleyball, etc. I do not believe public schools are all bad.

I really hate seeing how home school kids are "socially inept." I wish I could have done the field trips they do, or the book clubs, or the museum days, etc. My education was based off being in a room all day, everyday because there were no funds to do such things. She has so much fun and learns so much more.

I guess I feel the same way about Public School sterotypes. Many who homeschool (from what I see here) make the sterotype that public school is full of guns, drugs, and being chained to a desk all day.

I went on field trips all the time, and actually had a class that was a field trip everyday. Most of this class I spent at an elementary school working with kids in an English as a Second Laguage class, but we did other activities as well.
  • mgnmsn
    mgnmsn Posts: 133 Member
    Options

I was VERY against her being home schooled at first. I thought it would make her into an unsocial freak to be honest.

all i can say is....

I was WRONG. She learns more and has more time to hang out with children and has wayyy more opportunities. She does field trips 3-4 times a week and meets so many people.

Home school children have a certain stereotype. And that is exactly what it is... a stereotype. Do not buy into the bull. They are not freaks. They are not weird. They do interact with other kids, way more than I did in school. Public school worked for me perfectly fine, but I wish I would have been home schooled.

See what I did there?

Exactly. It is just a stereotype, but like I said. I was in public school my whole life. My brother is a sophomore in public schools. It works fine. I see both sides. I did not mind my experience. I would not change it. I did AFJROTC, marching band, pep band. volleyball, etc. I do not believe public schools are all bad.

I really hate seeing how home school kids are "socially inept." I wish I could have done the field trips they do, or the book clubs, or the museum days, etc. My education was based off being in a room all day, everyday because there were no funds to do such things. She has so much fun and learns so much more.

I guess I feel the same way about Public School sterotypes. Many who homeschool (from what I see here) make the sterotype that public school is full of guns, drugs, and being chained to a desk all day.

I went on field trips all the time, and actually had a class that was a field trip everyday. Most of this class I spent at an elementary school working with kids in an English as a Second Laguage class, but we did other activities as well.

Drugs, guns, etc are everywhere. No matter public school or at your finest university. Or heck, right around the corner at your neighbors' houses. That is a part of our society in general.

I do not have that stereotype because I am a public school graduate. Kids did do drugs or drank alcohol at my high school. They came in and bragged about their weekend. But that was like maybe 10% of the population at school. However, they seem to represent the entire high school when it is convenient.

We had a couple field trips when I was younger, but it pretty much stopped. My brother who is 5 years younger than me went on 2 field trips his entire elementary school career. Jenna (9) was in public school for three years and did not go on a single one. Obviously, school districts are different with budgets. Some may still see the beauty in hands on experience.
  • lady_jessi
    lady_jessi Posts: 77 Member
    Options
    I home school. My daughter went to K last year and sat quietly doing nothing the whole year (when you have a class of 25 kids your not going to waste too much time on a kid who's not really participating but not causing any problems either), so we're playing catch up this year. We just moved to a new state, so now I'm trying to get plugged into one of the local co ops and get my daughter doing dance or something. She loves to sing and dance. :)
  • RGv2
    RGv2 Posts: 5,789 Member
    Options

all i can say is....

See what I did there?

Drugs, guns, etc are everywhere. No matter public school or at your finest university. Or heck, right around the corner at your neighbors' houses. That is a part of our society in general.

I know. That's why I called it a stereo type.
  • MyPsalm63
    MyPsalm63 Posts: 303
    Options
    I have nothing against all public schools. Some are wonderful. Some are not. Same as homeschool....some parents are great at it, while others are not. Homeschooling is right for our children and our family. It may not be right for all.
    I dont know why people are so against public school. I went to public school my whole life and I turned out fine. I was never bullied, I have never drank or smoked.. Most of the stereotypes about public schools arent even true
  • MyPsalm63
    MyPsalm63 Posts: 303
    Options
    This post was not meant to bash public schooling, homeschooling, charter, private, ect. It's to find others, like myself, that homeschool.
    Homeschooled, Private School, Public Schooling....It doesn't matter how you were educated. There needs to be a good balance in teaching and parental involvement.

I would put a Public School kid (who's parents are egaged in their kids education) up against a homeschool or private school kid any day of the week.

Just sayn'
  • Pedal_Pusher
    Pedal_Pusher Posts: 1,166 Member
    Options
    Ya, I'll pass on homeschooling.