5'8 girls

Options

Replies

• Healthydiner65
    Healthydiner65 Posts: 1,579 Member
    Options
    I would be very pleased to weigh 155 but I'll take 165!!!!
  • mfp116
    mfp116 Posts: 108
    Options
    I'm 5' 8" an currently weigh 142lb. I am a UK size 10/12 depending on the shop. My goal is around just to get below 140, I have been there but couldn't sustain it. Now I do more strength training and am thinking that I need to focus less on the scales and more on body fat %. I think that, depending on build, of course, 126 sounds really low. I know I'd look ill at that weight. Why not set a higher goal and then take it from there?

really?! i cant tell you how happy that makes me! but yeah i know well ive never been thin so 126 was an estimation on what i guessed i would have to be to get into a UK 10 not a realstic goal so dont worry! but 140 may be my new goal now:) which is great cause it means i have alot less to lose :P haha well size you are a 10/12 do you think 130 would be good to be an all around UK 10?
  • skrakalaka
    skrakalaka Posts: 338 Member
    Options
    I'm 5'8" and my goal is 137 lb. That's only 8 lbs away and I feel like I still have a long way to go so might change it if and when I hit my goal. My goal is not to have fat thighs, whatever weight that happens at.
  • VelociMama
    VelociMama Posts: 3,119 Member
    Options
    I'm 5' 8" an currently weigh 142lb. I am a UK size 10/12 depending on the shop. My goal is around just to get below 140, I have been there but couldn't sustain it. Now I do more strength training and am thinking that I need to focus less on the scales and more on body fat %. I think that, depending on build, of course, 126 sounds really low. I know I'd look ill at that weight. Why not set a higher goal and then take it from there?

really?! i cant tell you how happy that makes me! but yeah i know well ive never been thin so 126 was an estimation on what i guessed i would have to be to get into a UK 10 not a realstic goal so dont worry! but 140 may be my new goal now:) which is great cause it means i have alot less to lose :P haha well size you are a 10/12 do you think 130 would be good to be an all around UK 10?

You can always set a goal a little higher and then re-evaluate from there. Just see how you feel and if you're where you want to be.
  • jfrankic
    jfrankic Posts: 747 Member
    Options
    The best bet is for you to calculate your body fat % and then set a goal weight from there. You can find online calculators, use a handheld device to measure bf%, you can see if your gym has calipers or check with your local hospital or university offers free or inexpensive bf testing.

I'm 5'8, weigh 176 and just started wearing 10s. My goal is 165. I have LBM (lean body mass) of about 128 pounds, so if I weighed 125 I would be dead or severely malnourished and have lost a considerable amount of muscle mass. So it is different for everyone. I am at an "acceptable" body fat %, but I'm still considered overweight and have an overweight BMI, according to the charts. This said, I don't want anyone to think that "I'm big boned" or "large frame" is a reason for any woman to give for being severely overweight and unhealthy! The main thing is to know YOUR body and what is healthy for you. I'm quiet muscular, so I don't fit into the typical mold for a 5'8 woman, but I'm a healthy ME.

You can't go on weight and BMI alone as there are many other variables. Of course, this image below is an extreme illustration, just to make a point. But look at my numbers compared to some of the other responses on here or the ones you will get.

bmi-comparison.gif
  • ammadove
    ammadove Posts: 97 Member
    Options
    I am 5'8.5" and weigh 172 and am 66 years old. I want to get down to 145 because it is a healthier weight for my height, build and age. I started at 189 so am happy to be on my way there. You all inspire me and I thank you.
  • mfp116
    Options
    The best bet is for you to calculate your body fat % and then set a goal weight from there. You can find online calculators, use a handheld device to measure bf%, you can see if your gym has calipers or check with your local hospital or university offers free or inexpensive bf testing.

I'm 5'8, weigh 176 and just started wearing 10s. My goal is 165. I have LBM (lean body mass) of about 128 pounds, so if I weighed 125 I would be dead or severely malnourished and have lost a considerable amount of muscle mass. So it is different for everyone. I am at an "acceptable" body fat %, but I'm still considered overweight and have an overweight BMI, according to the charts. This said, I don't want anyone to think that "I'm big boned" or "large frame" is a reason for any woman to give for being severely overweight and unhealthy! The main thing is to know YOUR body and what is healthy for you. I'm quiet muscular, so I don't fit into the typical mold for a 5'8 woman, but I'm a healthy ME.

You can't go on weight and BMI alone as there are many other variables. Of course, this image below is an extreme illustration, just to make a point. But look at my numbers compared to some of the other responses on here or the ones you will get.

bmi-comparison.gif

i totally hear you! and you make a really good point i dont know im just looking for a general answer i guess which is what i seem to of got unfortunately i cant go for a gym membership :( but ill look into online calculators:D
  • laurenmcallister
    laurenmcallister Posts: 37 Member
    Options
    I am 5'8" - 5'9" (medium frame) and I currently weigh 149 lbs, and I am NOT a true size 6 (only in the very generously sized stores, and even then generally an 8). My GW is 130, although if I'm toned at 135 I'll be happy with that too. I have a small waist but carry all my weight in chubby thighs and hips and squishy arms, so that's where I'll be losing it from. Despite some posts on here, I don't think 150 is a "stopping point" at all (obviously taking into consideration frame size, health, and body composition).

If you are early 20s like me, I think 130 is a solid target... I got this goal after consultation with my doctor and a personal trainer (but again, that's what's right for ME). Still, 126 seems a tad low.
  • mfp116
    Options
    Ive changed my goal weight to 130 now just a generalisation from whats been said and the sorta lowest most people would aim for obviously if i get to my desired size before 130 then im going to stop! but still thank you for all your help everyone :flowerforyou:
  • thedreamhazer
    thedreamhazer Posts: 1,156 Member
    Options
    Weight is arbitrary and varies wildly depending on body composition. I am a US size 6 and I weigh 165 lbs at 5'8. I also have relatively low body fat % and don't carry much weight in my lower body.

If you have a size goal, then shoot for that size and don't worry about what weight you are. Unfortunately, you won't really be able to get an idea of how much you should weigh by asking women of the same height. There's too much variance. Pick one goal, not two. Either size or weight.

(That said, depending on your body shape a UK size 10 may not be realistic, especially if you have wide hips. If that's the case, don't think of it as a bad thing. You can look fit no matter what your body type is, it might just not be at the size you think it will be.)
  • alvalaurie
    alvalaurie Posts: 369 Member
    Options
    I'm 5'8" & used to weigh 125 years ago; I wore a (US) size 6 at that weight. I was very thin & looked sickly! Over the years I've determined a better weight for me is between 150 - 155. I would say do whatever works for you. Everybody is different.
  • mfp116
    Options
    I am 5'8" - 5'9" (medium frame) and I currently weigh 149 lbs, and I am NOT a true size 6 (only in the very generously sized stores, and even then generally an 8). My GW is 130, although if I'm toned at 135 I'll be happy with that too. I have a small waist but carry all my weight in chubby thighs and hips and squishy arms, so that's where I'll be losing it from. Despite some posts on here, I don't think 150 is a "stopping point" at all (obviously taking into consideration frame size, health, and body composition).

If you are early 20s like me, I think 130 is a solid target... I got this goal after consultation with my doctor and a personal trainer (but again, that's what's right for ME). Still, 126 seems a tad low.

yeah my age is 20 :) but yeah ive changed my goal from 126 to 130 now! and if i get to my goal before then happy days:P
  • jfrankic
    jfrankic Posts: 747 Member
    Options
    Here's a link that takes a bunch of measurements and gives you results on various calcs and then averages them for you. http://www.gymgoal.com/dtool_fat.html

ETA: My local university offers a variety of free BF% tests through the sports medicine department - bod pod, water, etc. I just had to email and ask for an appointment. Cool! But taking measurements is easy and you can do it at home and you can get a cheap tape anywhere...JoAnn Fabric has them for $2.
  • LaDauphine
    Options
    150-165 is a good weight for me (which is what I was in college).
  • JenLovesFall
    Options
    Hello,

I'm 5'8" and I'm shooting for 145.
  • magicstephanie
    Options
    I started around 146-147 and I'm at 135 now. My original goal was 120. Now I'm shooting for 125, but I'm hoping to gain a little muscle so depending on how toned I am I might settle at 130.
  • heypurdy
    heypurdy Posts: 196 Member
    Options
    I'm 5'8" and my goal weight is 130-135, which was my weight in college. Really want to get back into shape. I've never been toned before so I'm definitely looking for that this time around.
  • Angie_Fritts
    Angie_Fritts Posts: 263 Member
    Options
    Well it depends on your bone structure. For me, 126 would be too low. I am aiming to be in the 150 to 160 range.

Good luck! I would recommend set an initial for for the low 160's and then re evaluate.
  • rubytOU
    rubytOU Posts: 154 Member
    Options
    I'm just over 5ft 8. :) My goal weight is around 138-ish (CW=148) but I'm fading away from that to focus more on my body fat % which I'd like to get down to lower 20's. currently at 28%. :-\
  • Zara11
    Zara11 Posts: 1,247 Member
    Options

+1
    Ditto for me. 135 is my main goal.