I Had My BMR Tested - It's 1032 Calories

Options

Replies

• CATindeeHAT
    CATindeeHAT Posts: 332 Member
    Options

If you've gotten absolutely nowhere then you seem to have found your maintenance. a 15% cut from 1700 would suffice for slow, healthy weight loss. ~1450 calories a day.

I totally agree! I feel as if I now have a better 'feel' of things ;):smile:
  • Faye_Anderson
    Faye_Anderson Posts: 1,495 Member
    Options
    The thing that worries me about posts like this is the responses like "wow, thanks for this post", you do realise that some people reading this are at their wits end wondering why 1200 isn't helping them to lose weight and after seeing this could drop their calories lower?
    Like you said this is what works for you, but probably not for the majority. I can't understand why you would feel the need to broadcast this to generally impressionable people? It's not like you need to justify what works for you, just get on and do it.
    ETA: I think the majority of the MFP population would know what works and what doesn't, but maybe not everyone, didn't mean to offend!
  • Yanicka1
    Yanicka1 Posts: 4,564 Member
    Options
    Question: Have you been in a calories deficit for a long time? Do you do heavy strenght training?

Oh and I was DX with narco 15 years ago but still refuse to take medecine for it. I have to say that my narco is not as severe as some and hopefully it will stay that way. I remember for so long saying the to Dr that I was very tired and they gave me vitamins aqnd asked me if I was depressed........fun time.
  • LuluProteinFueled
    LuluProteinFueled Posts: 261 Member
    Options
    This is why I tell people to establish what their maintenance calorie needs are prior to beginning a fat loss intervention. Without knowing a baseline figure, you have no reasonable manner in which to choose a proper deficit. There is too much variation within the population as a whole to put faith entirely into prediction equations.

^^^ This.

Regardless of whether or not people are netting under or over their "supposed/calculated" BMR, the important calorie deficit number comes from knowing your TDEE. Someone is not going to gain from eating over BMR, but they will gain from eating over their TDEE.

I don't really mind if my BMR is lower than the calculators say... I'm not sure why people are trying to use it as an argument for the "eating more doesn't work" stance. It's not really the most important number here for fat loss.

Thanks for sharing your story OP, interesting stuff. :smile:
  • CATindeeHAT
    Options
    The thing that worries me about posts like this is the responses like "wow, thanks for this post", you do realise that some people reading this are at their wits end wondering why 1200 isn't helping them to lose weight and after seeing this could drop their calories lower?
    Like you said this is what works for you, but probably not for the majority. I can't understand why you would feel the need to broadcast this to generally impressionable people? It's not like you need to justify what works for you, just get on and do it.

Because there ARE those people out there with similar situations like mine. Sharing my experience is meant to help them, not hurt them. If you feel as if you need to drop your calories to 1000 calories a day after reading this it's NOT because of this thread, it's because you have a borderline eating disorder.
  • Faye_Anderson
    Options

Because there ARE those people out there with similar situations like mine. Sharing my experience is meant to help them, not hurt them. If you feel as if you need to drop your calories to 1000 calories a day after reading this it's NOT because of this thread, it's because you have a borderline eating disorder.

And you think there aren't people like that here?
  • zenchild
    zenchild Posts: 680 Member
    Options
    I find that any coal tar shampoo does a very good job of getting the glue out of your hair after a sleep study.

I used castile soap after my ambulatory EEG. Don't know if the glue is the same stuff but this stuff felt like cement on my scalp. Castile cleaned me right up.
  • CATindeeHAT
    Options
    Question: Have you been in a calories deficit for a long time? Do you do heavy strenght training?

Oh and I was DX with narco 15 years ago but still refuse to take medecine for it. I have to say that my narco is not as severe as some and hopefully it will stay that way. I remember for so long saying the to Dr that I was very tired and they gave me vitamins aqnd asked me if I was depressed........fun time.

No, I've only been in a deficit for the past 2 weeks or so.

I do strength training, I don't know what you would consider heavy, but I do push myself to the point that I feel like my muscles are rubber.

Props on dealing with Narcolepsy without medication!! That is definitely an accomplishment. In my situation though I wasn't just tired all the time, I was falling asleep behind the wheel after sleeping for 16+ hours.
  • Awkward30
    Awkward30 Posts: 1,927 Member
    Options
    I'm frustrated by all the people saying BMR isn't TDEE. Duh, it's not, but it's the base for those calculations. Based on a 1.3 modifier for her as sedentary, maintenance would be 1342. Since her low BMR probably also lowers her calories burned during exercise (I don't know that for sure, but would assume it to be true, she would probably need to work out over an hour a day to eat 1200 cals a day and lose 1 lb a week. Or if her tdee is 1651 (gave her a 1.6 modifier) she would need to eat 1151 to lose 1 lb per week (and this is in agreement with her maintaining at ~1700.

My point: 1200 isn't categorically too low.
  • CATindeeHAT
    Options

Yes, of course. But that does not justify a good enough reason to NOT share my experience.

I'm sorry, but I must of missed the forum rule that said,

"Unless your post applies to everyone, don't post it. "
  • 3foldchord
    3foldchord Posts: 2,918 Member
    Options
    You do not eat at your BMR to lose weight. you eat your TDEE MINUS 20%. If your BMR is 1032 you still need to eat more more than to lose weight.
    like the person below said!
    Hmm it actually makes perfect sense. of course your BMR is going to be 1032. BMR represents your body's energy consumption if you were just to lie down and do nothing (or in this case, the above BMR you got from the test represents what what you were doing during that test) basically the energy your body with its organs etc needs to live. TDEE is the energy your body needs when you do regular activities everyday (and that differs from person to person) . To lose weight, from my understanding is to cut the intake from your TDEE NOT your BMR. Say, if your TDEE is an average of 2100, then losing weight would mean about 1800 or so depending on how much you want to lose in a specified period. I hope this clears up the confusion.
  • love4fitnesslove4food_wechange
    Options
    I'm frustrated by all the people saying BMR isn't TDEE. Duh, it's not, but it's the base for those calculations. Based on a 1.3 modifier for her as sedentary, maintenance would be 1342. Since her low BMR probably also lowers her calories burned during exercise (I don't know that for sure, but would assume it to be true, she would probably need to work out over an hour a day to eat 1200 cals a day and lose 1 lb a week. Or if her tdee is 1651 (gave her a 1.6 modifier) she would need to eat 1151 to lose 1 lb per week (and this is in agreement with her maintaining at ~1700.

My point: 1200 isn't categorically too low.

It is categorically low--losing 1 pound a week would be simply unfeasible for someone with a TDEE of 1651. In any case--I wouldn't use an activity multiplier in her case aside from SEDENTARY and then add on ACTUAL calories burned from exercise.

1032 x 1.2 = 1238 and add walking for errands and/or exercise, workouts, etc. It can easily add up to more. From the total I would subtract 15% for a modest deficit.
  • Faye_Anderson
    Options

Yes, of course. But that does not justify a good enough reason to NOT share my experience.

Did you miss the MFP warnings that tell people to eat at 1200 minimum?
  • niki87lewis
    niki87lewis Posts: 147 Member
    Options

Obviously all posts now should come with a disclaimer. Christ! :tongue:
  • Generalle
    Generalle Posts: 201 Member
    Options

Of course there are, but the op isn't to blame for encouraging them to eat next to nothing, she was just posting about her personal circumstances.
    I wore my hrm to bed one night, slept for around 7hrs and was surprised to find I'd 'burnt' 600+ calories, this would make my bmr around 1800.
    Everyone is different!!!!
  • CATindeeHAT
    Options

Obviously all posts now should come with a disclaimer. Christ! :tongue:

Tried that.
    This is just my experience, I do not claim to be an expert and I'm not suggesting anybody change their diet - So PLEASE try and resist ripping this thread apart to shreds.

Obviously it didn't work.
  • love4fitnesslove4food_wechange
    Options
    I got torn to shreds today for posting tips--I feel for you OP. But again I think too many people don't know what to do with this information and that's where the danger lies.
  • CATindeeHAT
    Options

Did you miss the MFP warnings that tell people to eat at 1200 minimum?

NOWHERE IN MY POST DID I EVER SUGGEST ANYONE EAT BELOW 1200 CALORIES!!!

Did you even read it??? I HIGHLY doubt it.

I have also said in MULTIPLE replies that I was going to try and eat 1200 to 1450 calories a day.

Please read. I have NO idea where you are getting your information.
  • healthynotthin
    healthynotthin Posts: 223 Member
    Options
    OP - I'm really encouraged to hear this. I've been given so much grief for not eating 1700+ per day by my peers, and they don't understand what I believe about BMR and TDEE. Thank you for this insightful post, and I hope these people don't give you too much grief! :flowerforyou:
  • cherbapp
    cherbapp Posts: 322
    Options
    Thanks for sharing your experience! It does help those of us who struggle to lose even with religious tracking and weighing to realize that just because a calculator says we should burn X amount of calories, we may not be.

I have been tracking for a year now and I know for a fact that I burn less calories to survive than others with my stats. I know my BMR is about 300 calories less than the calculators say it is. I found this from keeping a spreadsheet of calories in vs calories out, with every device I could find...HRM...food scale...etc...and if I added 300 calories per day to my food...my weight loss equaled my deficit perfectly over that time. So this makes total sense to me.

And if anyone thinks you are wrong for posting because someone may be convinced to drop their calories too much...ignore it. The disclaimer is on every page about this is not medical advice...blah blah blah.

:)