What is the fire that keeps you going?

Options

Replies

• LadyVivica
    LadyVivica Posts: 84 Member
    Options
    Staying Alive...but to be honest, as bad as this sounds, fat people actually motivate me...i am scared to death of being obese, so anytime I see someone REALLY big that doesn't care about their health, I run to the gym and workout till I almost passout =(

This happens a lot since I live next to a Super Walmart -_-*
  • Chickie0999
    Options
    Many things help... obviously, my heatlh is a big concern. I'm healthy now but I can't push my luck.
    Then I have little reasons that have a big impac:

- I have three sisters... allll gorgeous. Two are older than me and are fit and stunning.... and.... I have a twin sister. We're fraternal and never looked similar (I'm 5'11, big boned, darker hair, green eyes - she's 5'5, miniscule bones, blond hair, blue eyes). My twin was heavier before and lost over 100 lbs a few years ago (on her first try EVER at dieting and has always maintained it). So now she's a skinny little thing and I'm still... well, me, with over 100 lbs to lose. Everybody knows the four of us in town as the Marcil sisters and everybody knows Jue is my twin and most know she's lost the weight. What I HATE is when we meet someone for the first time together and someone tells that person that we are twins. Nobody everrrr believes it. So I would love to fit in a bit more with my sisters.

- Also - I've always wanted to know what I would look like if I were slimmer. AND... would be nice to walk into a store and head towards any piece of clothing I see, knowing that they'll have my size.

- And.... I would love my size not to constantly be a factor in the things I do. I now know all the sitting of choice for the restaurants in my region. I know that for this certain restaurant, their booths are smaller and I'm uncomfortable in them, as opposed to this other restaurant, which has comfortable seating. Every time my boyfriend suggests a restaurant, my first thought is if I like their seating. That's awful!!! And he's completely oblivious about it and I don't want to clue him in as to my weird trail of thoughts... so it's odd. And that goes for restaurants, planes, movie theatres (I have my faves), patio sets, etc.

Great topic!!!
  • raeleek
    raeleek Posts: 414 Member
    Options
    Many things!

When I get up and workout and make good food choices throughout the day I simply feel better even if the numbers on the scale don't go down.

I want to do a lot of things and I don't want my weight to the be the reason why I can't.

God willing, the stronger my body is the less likely I'll get a serious illness.

I tell myself JUST KEEP GOING! If you do this for a year think of all the changes. I would like the keep up my current lifestyle food wise for the rest of my life but I am more referring to weight loss on this one. I've tried so many times and then a year goes by and another. If I just keep doing it....

Some days this sucks. Some days you're tired and worn down. Other days it's empowering and you really see the results of your hard work.
  • Cravepain
    Cravepain Posts: 63 Member
    Options
    There are quite a few things that keep me motivated enough to push through the plateaus and hard days.

First and foremost, my boyfriend. I have been with him for 7 years this September 12th. I love him with all my heart and him just being here gives me motivation.

I want to be able to have children. I have been told that my previous weight would make it hard for me to have kids so that is a biggie for me. I always think about it and it really drives me to keep going to reach my end goal.

Obesity is common in my family as is the issues that comes along with it like Diabetes. I don't want that to be a struggle I deal with my my life.

Ever since I have started to lose weight I have been able to do things I found out I really enjoy, like biking and going on hikes/walks. Before I would feel like I would pass out within a mile but now I can easily walk 6 plus. I have grown to have a love for outdoor activities and want to continue to be able to do them without such a struggle.

There are some more superficial things as well such as being able to shop at 'regular' clothes stores, looking good on my wedding day and being able to wear a bathing suit without a T-shirt over it.
  • EnchantedEvening
    EnchantedEvening Posts: 671 Member
    Options
    Because I am absolutely, horrifically miserable being fat. I can't do anything I used to love - roller coasters, zip lines, etc - and seats with arms are too tight for me. I haven't gone to concerts and sporting events in a long time because I'm too fat for the seats. I haven't flown because I have to buy two seats. It's horrible, wrong, and downright stupid for me to keep living this way, and I never, ever want to feel like this again. All of that stuff I took for granted for so long when I was 150 pounds is denied to me now because of my size. Screw that.

Plus, I miss looking good in clothes. Even when I was 250-275, I still looked pretty good in certain outfits. Now, I look like a fabric-covered whale no matter what I wear. It's disgusting.

I've never wanted to stop, even when I felt like you described, because I'd already hit rock bottom. I will never, ever, ever stop working at this because I refuse to live like this. I'd rather be dead, and that's not an option. I have too much life ahead of me.
  • sterphy
    sterphy Posts: 68 Member
    Options
    You, know... A LOT of things keep me going, but one thing that "puts a fire" in my step is the satisfaction I am going to get when I can say, "I told you so." And also, "Screw you, I'm too f&*#ing hot for YOU!"
    Ha.

Quote for truth!! Got dumped 7 weeks ago, have been working out & eating healthier the last 6. Went on a date this weekend and got conveniently seated right across from my ex and his buddy. I've lost 13 lbs, and he has significantly bigger man-boobs. It was soooo awkward and I enjoyed every flipping second of it.
  • ggilbride
    ggilbride Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    Keep up the hard work. There is not a day that goes by where I tell myself (213 lbs) that I worked very hard at putting the weight on my body, and now I have to work equally hard and taking it off.

I am tired of wearing tight fitting jeans, where there are red marks put into my waist. I don't believe my body needs any more stretching out.

Good luck in your journey.
  • ggilbride
    ggilbride Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    Man boobs...Gotta love it. Kudos to you and a healthier lifestyle. Here is to the new you.
  • Cold_Steel
    Cold_Steel Posts: 897 Member
    Options
    I literally pay a person to hold a fire to me... It is pretty effective but painful when you get lazy. He was carrying a taser for a while but I wanted to be literal and gave him a torch.
  • clbowman11
    clbowman11 Posts: 117
    Options
    I think motivation can be fickle. I try not to rely on something to keep the fire burning, but rather just know that this is what I'm doing now. Don't let yourself question what you're doing, don't listening to any excuses your mind comes up with (and it will come up with many). Go fiercely in the direction of your goals. As Nike has said said "Just Do It".

^agreed. I do, of course, have motivation. But, sometimes it is lacking. And even when it is, I go. I go to the gym 5 times a week anywhere from 1.5 to 2 hours and do an hour of cardio then weights, sometimes more of cardio. But, there have been a couple of times lately I just didn't want to. But, I went. Kinda like going to work. You make an obligation and commitment to yourself. Because, no one is going to want to work out every single time. But, I'll tell you what you feel so much better when you're walking out of the gym after that workout or turning off that DVD at home. You feel accomplished. Now, I've only been on my weight loss mission for a little short of a month, but I see myself as succeeding so I posted this. (: I've lost 11.5 lbs in that 3.5 weeks. And running is the hardest part for me, but I get up there and I run and I run harder than I did the day before. The other day I didn't want to go to the gym and I did, but instead I ran and worked out harder. It was more intense but it was more exciting. Change things up some and see if that helps. But, I agree with the poster above. You can't rely on motivation always. Because, there are going to be times when it's that time of the month, or you stayed up too late, or something like that and you won't want to go and no amount of motivation will really work. You will have to look at it like your going to work. It's something you have to do whether you like it or not. But, when you get that paycheck from work it all seems a little more worth it, doesn't it? Well, when you see those results it's going to be better than a paycheck (: Good Luck!
  • imchicbad
    imchicbad Posts: 1,650 Member
    Options
    The thought of becoming sickly and a burden to my kids, or even dying young, my family is like that- the women, diabetic, cancer and heart desecse also rhumetoid athritis, these are my biggest fears, and keep me chugging ahead.
  • amorrowmuffin
    Options
    My motivations are feeling better mentally, physically, and being able to speak infront of people with more confidence :) I also cant wait to fit into smaller clothing.
  • EnchantedEvening
    EnchantedEvening Posts: 671 Member
    Options
    Went on a date this weekend and got conveniently seated right across from my ex and his buddy. I've lost 13 lbs, and he has significantly bigger man-boobs. It was soooo awkward and I enjoyed every flipping second of it.
    That's awesome. :)
  • sunny_smile5
    sunny_smile5 Posts: 91 Member
    Options
    For me, it was the fear of diabetes, my high cholesterol, and desire to have children. At my highest weight of 163 lbs. on a 4'11" frame, I was told I was on route for diabetes and had high cholesterol. My weight was also affecting my ability to have children. After that, I was able to lose weight down to 138 lbs. and had my daughter...but since, my weight has crept back up. In June of this year, it was 157 lbs. but since I've started eating clean and working out again, I'm currently at 149.4 lbs. My ultimate goal weight is 110 lbs., which is the "healthy, normal" weight for my height. I really don't care about being "skinny"...I just want to be healthy. Also, I would like to have more children when the time is right and I don't want my weight to be an issue when that time comes.
  • wavedancer123
    wavedancer123 Posts: 47 Member
    Options
    Buying clothes that I like, not just because they fit!
    Size 12, fashion magazines.
    Good health, strong nails, clear mind, happy, happy, happy, fit, sleep better that I had done for a long time.
    More get up and go and staying positive.
  • nadine2unfit2bqueen
    nadine2unfit2bqueen Posts: 153 Member
    Options
    I've been working out since I was a chubby 14yr old. I'm 26 now and there have definitely been times in the last 12yrs where it's been hard to motivate myself, where I just want to stop caring about my weight and eat what I want and not care what I look like. Then I gain 15lbs, feel disgusting, and go on a mission to lose the weight again.

Recently it's been harder than usual to get myself going, so I have been thinking of new ways to inspire myself;
    1) I sign up for running races, so I HAVE to train
    2) I've booked a personal trainer for every second monday morning, 7am, so I HAVE to show up to the gym first thing at the beginning of the week. This usually gets me off to a good motivated start for the rest of the week.
    3) I've started paying myself a $1 for every good thing, so I can count not just weightloss but the rest of the goals I have. I pay myself $1 for every workout, every run, every yoga session, every day I am under my calorie goal, every time I see a lower number on the scale. For bigger things I pay myself $10, for every race I enter, every 5lbs I lose, every time I achieve a personal best running time. I am going to Mexico for 6 weeks in January so I plan to use the money to buy some new bikini's for the trip.
    4) I set goals other than weightloss - I started kiteboarding this summer and I really really want to be good at it. I know getting in shape and working on my flexibility is going to help me get better and reduce the chances I'll incur one of the common kiteboarding injuries. It's hard enough being scared ****less to try a trick, worse if you don't think you have the strength or flexibility to do it, so I am doing a lot of plyometric workouts and yoga, and knowing I am doing it for a purpose makes me really push myself.
  • nadine2unfit2bqueen
    nadine2unfit2bqueen Posts: 153 Member
    Options
    I think motivation can be fickle. I try not to rely on something to keep the fire burning, but rather just know that this is what I'm doing now. Don't let yourself question what you're doing, don't listening to any excuses your mind comes up with (and it will come up with many). Go fiercely in the direction of your goals. As Nike has said said "Just Do It".

^agreed. I do, of course, have motivation. But, sometimes it is lacking. And even when it is, I go. I go to the gym 5 times a week anywhere from 1.5 to 2 hours and do an hour of cardio then weights, sometimes more of cardio. But, there have been a couple of times lately I just didn't want to. But, I went. Kinda like going to work. You make an obligation and commitment to yourself. Because, no one is going to want to work out every single time. But, I'll tell you what you feel so much better when you're walking out of the gym after that workout or turning off that DVD at home. You feel accomplished. Now, I've only been on my weight loss mission for a little short of a month, but I see myself as succeeding so I posted this. (: I've lost 11.5 lbs in that 3.5 weeks. And running is the hardest part for me, but I get up there and I run and I run harder than I did the day before. The other day I didn't want to go to the gym and I did, but instead I ran and worked out harder. It was more intense but it was more exciting. Change things up some and see if that helps. But, I agree with the poster above. You can't rely on motivation always. Because, there are going to be times when it's that time of the month, or you stayed up too late, or something like that and you won't want to go and no amount of motivation will really work. You will have to look at it like your going to work. It's something you have to do whether you like it or not. But, when you get that paycheck from work it all seems a little more worth it, doesn't it? Well, when you see those results it's going to be better than a paycheck (: Good Luck!

As a runner (I've done 5 1/2's and a marathon) I've noticed that running 3 days a week is just as effective as running 5 days a week, and those days I wake up feeling like I just don't want to, it's because I need a break. Most running programs follow a cycle of going hard for 2 weeks and then backing off for a week. Those easy weeks are really important for your body to heal and build muscle (we all know muscle is built during recovery) and also help prevent injury from over training. Also it just feels good to slack off for a bit. Recharge the batteries so that you can come back stronger. A friend had me try a heart rate monitor for a little while. He said to check my resting heart rate every morning - before I even get out of bed - and compare it to how I felt. If my heart rate was 60 for a few days and I felt great, and then suddenly one morning it's 75 and felt sluggish, it was indication that I needed a break and not to train that day. I know everyone wants to give advice, so I am just throwing this out there for those who'd like a feel good reason for not being motivated.
  • iAMsmiling
    iAMsmiling Posts: 2,394 Member
    Options
    My 16 year old special needs son is one of my motivators.
    When he is in a bad place, he wants to become violent. With me around, he can't get away with it. I can't trust him at home alone with my wife because of past attempted violence and threats he has made.

He's 6'2" and still growing. I'm 51 years old. The longer I can be in a position to physically control him, the longer he can live with us. Unless things improve, a day will come when I'll have to institutionalize him for everyone's safety.

I work my *kitten* off in the gym to put that day off as long as possible.
  • Feisty_Red
    Feisty_Red Posts: 982 Member
    Options
    For me...currently..since I am stuck on a weight loss stall for 5 months...would be that I do NOT want to go back. I have gone BACK so many times...and damn it..I am winning this crap this time..and for the last TIME.. :drinker: :drinker:
  • BigBrewski
    BigBrewski Posts: 922 Member
    Options
    For me...currently..since I am stuck on a weight loss stall for 5 months...would be that I do NOT want to go back. I have gone BACK so many times...and damn it..I am winning this crap this time..and for the last TIME.. :drinker: :drinker:

^^^This...I appear to be on a 2 month stall but I will NOT Backslide.....
Do you Love MyFitnessPal? Have you crushed a goal or improved your life through better nutrition using MyFitnessPal?
Share your success and inspire others. Leave us a review on Apple Or Google Play stores!