your "specialty" during the holidays...

Options

Replies

• Mom0819
    Mom0819 Posts: 82 Member
    Options
    Not this past Thanksgiving I made some of the most amazing mashed potatoes ever. There were none left. You premake them the day before, then the day of, you bake them. O-M-G. Everyone was raving about them. I also make a stellar broccoli casserole. I can't wait for Thanksgiving this year! I'm moving into a new house next week and cannot WAIT to utilize my big kitchen!!

Will you share the mashed potato recipe?
  • trac3
    trac3 Posts: 134 Member
    Options
    A killer Portuguese stuffing recipe from hell (it's beyond yummy!), the world's best pumpkin roll, and I've figured out how to make some incredible chocolates and fudge. My female friends hate me but their husbands love me during the holidays:devil:
  • jnchorn
    jnchorn Posts: 250 Member
    Options
    Our family is recipe is called Cranberry Yum-Yum. It's fresh cranberries and apples with marshmallow, cool whip and sugar. Yummy I have been eating since I could chew.
  • amez1974
    amez1974 Posts: 213 Member
    Options
    I do a ton of cooking over the holidays-huge meals, desserts, treats etc.

It is a holiday requirement though that I always make pumpkin rolls and Green bean Bacon Wraps for any meal that I make or attend :) It's long stem canned Green Beans (like 3-4) wrapped in half a slice of bacon. Line up as many as you can fit on a cookie sheet. Melt a stick of butter, stir in a cup of brown sugar and a tsp of garlic powder. Pour that over the Beans and then bake around 400 until they start to get crispy. Soooooo good.
  • DontStopB_Leakin
    DontStopB_Leakin Posts: 3,863 Member
    Options
    For Thanksgiving, it would be green bean casserole, mushroom bread stuffing, roasted garlic and parmersan whipped potatoes, and pumpkin mousse pie. Oh, I also make a killer pumpkin cheesecake trifle that literally takes five minutes to put together.

For Christmas, the first three Thanksgiving recipes, cherry apple pie, sugar cookie cutouts (with sanding sugar only), white chocolate chip chocolate cookies, mint fudge cookie balls, marbled peppermint bark, and a chocalate cheesecake trifle.

There's more, but I'm getting hungry just listing this stuff. And yes, every single item mentioned is asked for each year. My family is a bunch of greedy SOBs.

Please share your white choc chip chocolate cookie recipe and the trifle! :)
    Trifle is top secret. (it's my mom's recipe...she'd cut me)

Buuuuuuuuttt the cookie recipe (which is far superior anyways) is from the back of the Nestle Tollhouse White baking chips bag.
  • love4fitnesslove4food_wechange
    Options

It is a holiday requirement though that I always make pumpkin rolls and Green bean Bacon Wraps for any meal that I make or attend :) It's long stem canned Green Beans (like 3-4) wrapped in half a slice of bacon. Line up as many as you can fit on a cookie sheet. Melt a stick of butter, stir in a cup of brown sugar and a tsp of garlic powder. Pour that over the Beans and then bake around 400 until they start to get crispy. Soooooo good.

I'll have to make these. So 1/2 cup of butter. 1 cup brown sugar. 1 tsp garlic powder per 1 can of green beans? Or however many fit on the sheet?
  • Tropical_Turtle
    Tropical_Turtle Posts: 2,236 Member
    Options
    pumpkin white chocolate cheesecake

homemade caramel brownies (yes homemade caramel and brownies)

Lemon cookies

Pumpkin caramel loaf (once again homemade caramel)

I am the dessert queen
  • auntdeedee87
    auntdeedee87 Posts: 706 Member
    Options
    Squash casserole, devolved eggs and my favorite-- seasoned oyster crackers!
  • love4fitnesslove4food_wechange
    Options
    pumpkin white chocolate cheesecake

homemade caramel brownies (yes homemade caramel and brownies)

Lemon cookies

Pumpkin caramel loaf (once again homemade caramel)

I am the dessert queen

share please! i wanna know your caramel recipe!
  • AndreaEllen
    AndreaEllen Posts: 71 Member
    Options
    I roast butternut squash, red potatoes, and yams with garlic and truffle oil

It's AMAZING!!!

And instead of a peacan pie I use cashews nuts instead and some dark chocolate chips!!

It's mouthgasms all around! :love:
  • amez1974
    amez1974 Posts: 213 Member
    Options

I'll have to make these. So 1/2 cup of butter. 1 cup brown sugar. 1 tsp garlic powder per 1 can of green beans? Or however many fit on the sheet?

Usually one package of bacon per 2-3 cans of green beans. It just depends on many beans you put in each wrap. Usually we use several packages of bacon and my SIL now cans whole green beans for me to use. We try to get as many on a cookie sheet as possible-but try to keep it to two cookie sheets of wraps. No matter how many we make per cookie sheet I just stick to the 1/2 cup butter, cup of brown sugar and tsp of garlic powder per cookie sheet. I hope that make sense. Oh and I just cut the entire package of bacon in half before I even open it. My kids love helping wrap them too--I guess because everyone loves them so much and the kids want some of the credit lol!
  • cakelady69
    Options
    Well I'm the baker of the family. So it depends on what type of Christmas meal we are planning. That determines what type of desserts I make. I always make at least 2 pies to go with the other desserts. My cheesecakes as well as tortes are favorites among my children and family.
  • LovesGG
    LovesGG Posts: 241 Member
    Options
    I make a mean chicken pot pie from scratch... but idk the recipe, I just play it by ear.
    Also, my buffalo wings drive people crazy because I like it with an extra kick instead of focusing on the buttery flavor
  • LilacSnow
    LilacSnow Posts: 238 Member
    Options
    This: http://allrecipes.com/recipe/old-fashioned-paradise-pumpkin-pie/

Everyone loves it and always asks for it.
    It's got a cheesecake layer, then a pumpkin custard layer, and a pecan streusel on top.

oh my god, that looks amazeballs. i'm totally making that some day.

every christmas i make these little tarts that have a ginger snap base, a whipped pumpkin custard-type filling, and candied cranberries on top. i might have to forego those this year though and try that paradise pumpkin pie recipe...
  • supahstar71
    supahstar71 Posts: 926 Member
    Options
    I make insanely delicious apple pie and sweet potato pie, amazing baked man n cheese, and super yummy stuffing.

Year round I make hot spinach artichoke dip. It's divine and requested at every potluck. My mouth is watering thinking about it. :tongue:
  • ciobair
    ciobair Posts: 69
    Options
    I bake cookies for everyone in the family... some of the standards like chocolate chip cookies & oatmeal raisin but I have specialties like chapel windows, date nut balls, peanut butter balls. I try to accomodate everyone's favorite but I change it up every year because I like trying new things and I bake a lot. The cookie boxes I gave out last year had 20 different types of cookies in them. (I start early and freeze them).

Can I be in your family, P u H leeeseee:flowerforyou:
  • itsmedicinalbacon
    Options
    bump
  • dorothytd
    dorothytd Posts: 1,138 Member
    Options
    I roast butternut squash, red potatoes, and yams with garlic and truffle oil

It's AMAZING!!!

And instead of a peacan pie I use cashews nuts instead and some dark chocolate chips!!

Wow! Both sound terrific!
  • Nix143
    Nix143 Posts: 522 Member
    Options
    Every year I make Nigella's coca cola ham - so so good and there would be a mutiny if I didn't bake a ham.

http://www.nigella.com/recipes/view/ham-in-coca-cola-171 - except my ham is at least twice that size :happy:

I also make my grandma's trifle - I daren't even being to think how many calories are in this :noway:
  • RoseAmongThorns91
    RoseAmongThorns91 Posts: 215 Member
    Options
    Between my mom and I, we have homemade pecan pie, 7-layer jello salad, sausage balls (she makes those as I don't like them) and microwave fudge!