What to do with lots of ricotta?

Options

Replies

• helenaahh
    Options
    I make oven baked spinach and ricotta fritata - it is really simple and quick to make - it keeps in the fridge for a few days, so I make one and take a slice with salad for lunch.

4 eggs
    75g (3oz) Ricotta
    6 pellets of frozen spinach (defrost in microwave)
    1/2 onion - a finely diced
    Salt & pepper

Mix together and poor into a shallow ovenproof dish - bake at 200C (400F) for about 30 mins. Serves 4.
  • ensoleille
    Options
    Spinich and ricotta cannelloni in tomatoe sauce :)
  • nikkit321
    nikkit321 Posts: 1,485 Member
    Options
    Stir in some peanut butter and a little cocoa powder!
  • Amazon_Who
    Amazon_Who Posts: 1,092 Member
    Options
    Blend with a small ripe banana and eat it on toast, crackers or rice cakes. Add some Fruit Fresh so that the leftover won't brown.
  • Cathyvil
    Cathyvil Posts: 230 Member
    Options
    I add about 1/4 cup to my oatmeal in the morning and top with berries. Makes it creamy and yummy.
  • jesss5885
    jesss5885 Posts: 187 Member
    Options
    I make oven baked spinach and ricotta fritata - it is really simple and quick to make - it keeps in the fridge for a few days, so I make one and take a slice with salad for lunch.

4 eggs
    75g (3oz) Ricotta
    6 pellets of frozen spinach (defrost in microwave)
    1/2 onion - a finely diced
    Salt & pepper

Mix together and poor into a shallow ovenproof dish - bake at 200C (400F) for about 30 mins. Serves 4.

YUM!!!!!!
  • MMJT24
    MMJT24 Posts: 8
    Options
    I'm full blooded italian and make homemade ricotta! There is TONS of things you can do with it. It's sooooo yummy. Here is a list of some foods you can make. Some are diet friendly others you can tweak to make diet friendly. Hope this gives you some ideas.

- Add ricotta with pesto sauce - this can be added to pasta, rice or any other grain
    - Add ricotta with red sauce - this can be added to pasta, rice, other grains, or when cooking eggs
    - Add ricotta when you are making fried eggs. (SO YUMMY)
    - Make a frittata with ricotta
    - Eggplant Parmesan
    - Ricotta Pancakes
    - You can add ricotta to homemade gnoochi dough
    -Cannelloni
    - Lasagna
    - Ricotta Cheesecake (make sure to blend ricotta for a smoother texture)
    - Cannoli
    - Add ricotta to meatloaf or meat balls
    - Feeling ambitious?! Make ravioli with ricotta filling
    - Add ricotta as a pizza topping
    - Arancini (rice fritter filled with ricotta)
    - Season the ricotta with herbs and spread it on bread or for a sweet version add a little honey or jam instead of herbs (very common breakfast food in Italy
    - Ricotta risotto
  • julzzz4
    julzzz4 Posts: 72
    Options
    :wink:
  • danaweston
    Options
    it can be frozen if you want
  • nikkit321
    nikkit321 Posts: 1,485 Member
    Options
    Stir in a little peanut butter and some chocolate syrup.
  • GoldspursX3
    GoldspursX3 Posts: 516 Member
    Options
    bump
  • bluelena
    bluelena Posts: 304 Member
    Options
    GNUDI! It's my favorite pasta and easy to make. They're similar to gnocchi (if you've had that) but much more pillowy and decadent. They are also simple to make. 3 parts ricotta to one part all purpose flour with some grated parmesan cheese thrown in. Mix together to form a loose-type dough. Cover and place in fridge for two hours. Then, pull out of fridge and scoop out into small balls (I use a melon baller so they're all the same size) and place on a cookie sheet, then place in fridge again for an hour or so. When ready to eat, boil for about 5 minutes or until they float to the top. Then top with your favorite pasta sauce. You can freeze any you don't want to prepare for the meal...they freeze really well. They are so delicious!

BUMP
  • ChloeRoseLejeune
    Options
    CANNOLIS~!
  • RM10003
    RM10003 Posts: 316 Member
    Options
    I've got a cookbook with a few recipes for ricotta muffins--obviously it's still a muffin with some sugar, etc but at least you're getting a little protein in there.
  • paisleytevir
    paisleytevir Posts: 11 Member
    Options
    Tiramisu! You can make the ladyfingers with almond flour to keep it low carb, ricotta can be used in lieu of mascarpone. I even made a vegan version for some friends a couple weeks ago using tofu and they loved it.

Here's a good recipe - http://satisfyingeats.blogspot.com/2012/01/breakfast-in-my-worldgrain-free-and-sf.html
  • Sebidian
    Sebidian Posts: 199 Member
    Options
    Bump
  • erinhund1
    Options
    lol.... Wasting food is never ever a good idea! And where did you get THAT idea from?
  • Bbwnomore2
    Bbwnomore2 Posts: 225 Member
    Options
    so many great ideas. who knew!
  • jsidel126
    jsidel126 Posts: 694 Member
    Options
    If you are trying to lose weight, Ricotta is not the shortest distance to your destination.
  • chickenz
    chickenz Posts: 101 Member
    Options
    Serve on wheat crackers