the fake 'I'm so fat' comments

Options
Does anyone else get annoyed with thin women who talk about how fat they are all the time? I am not talking about the insecure type who feel they are fat and have body issues. I am referring to women who know they have an amazing figure, like to show it off and are very aware that they look good. I know someone like this and it really annoys me when she will come up with a random 'Oh I'm so fat' when she knows there is a group of people (mostly bigger people) around and someone will say 'Noooo! you have an amazing figure' or 'Don't be ridiculous you are stunning'. I wouldn't mind if I thought it was genuine but it is so obvious that she is just after compliments. I know there are a lot of people with genuine body issues but I know this person isn't one of them.

Replies

• lawre028
    lawre028 Posts: 40 Member
    Options
    I know a lot of people like that. Yes, very annoying. I work with people young enough to be my biological children. They constantly say, OH I am sooo old! Here I am creaking and cracklin when I walk, Finding grey in my hair and have a niece and nephew older than them! Plus the same kiddos talk about how chubbo they are. PHFTT. I have 50 more lbs to lose. Thats half their body weight! Who are they kidding!
  • lauren3101
    lauren3101 Posts: 1,853 Member
    Options
    I always say, 'if you think you're so fat, then what must you think of me?' Normally shuts them up,
  • Cait_Sidhe
    Cait_Sidhe Posts: 3,150 Member
    Options
    It's probably not fake. Just because they are thinner than you does not mean they don't legitimately have low self esteem.
  • pkw58
    pkw58 Posts: 2,038 Member
    Options
    As some one who was told at 43 pounds heavier "You look fine" while I felt like crap, I can tell you the weight hurt on me. If I annoyed anyone with my complaining about my weight or "fat", I apologize.

However, I wish some one had said, you are welcome to come walk with me at lunch or have you tried the gym in our building... anything that would have been a tiny step to feeling better...

It doesn't annoy me when someone fishes for compliments (heck we all need a hug now and then) , but your post reminds me to not to make my weight everyone else's issue..
  • purple_tux1
    purple_tux1 Posts: 250 Member
    Options
    How about repying, "It does seem like you've gained a bit of weigh recently..." :laugh:
  • saschka7
    saschka7 Posts: 577 Member
    Options
    Agree with them (as the previous poster mentioned)--that might shut them up. At the very least, it would give them something to think about and ponder and possibly fill them with so much anxiety that they'll just stay huddled in their cubicle the rest of the day.

Skinny-chick-who-says-she's-fat: "I can't believe how fat I am!"

You: "You know, I was thinking that you had put on a little weight lately--it seems as if you've been really stressed out here at work. Is that why?"

Or more effectively and maturely, you could cheerfully play deaf and just ignore them. :smile:
  • amber6231991
    amber6231991 Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    All they want is attention. It is annoying but i have learned to ignore them and act like they didn't even say it and go on to some otger subject. You can too, the less attention you give them when they say that the less they will do it.
  • chroniclesofthinoholic
    Options
    How about repying, "It does seem like you've gained a bit of weigh recently..." :laugh:

would probably go kill themselves or worse "unfriend" you..heh if you're lucky enough that is!;)
  • ClairBears84
    ClairBears84 Posts: 531 Member
    Options
    Look, some girls have less on their bodies, and while for us they may not be FAT, for them they may feel fat or be 10kg heavier than what the normally are! BE patient and dont be nasty to people like, they normally have a low self esteem. and the last thing they need is someone making fun of them

I have a friend who I think is tiny and one day we were talking a bout the same thing and she explained to me, how tired she gets of people telling her she isnt fat and she has nothing to loose etc, she also got undressed and showed me where she wants to loose, and I could see that she had gained weight. She said to me that day, I am not say I am as big or as overweight as others, I am saying I feel fat! I am overweight for my body.
  • ClairBears84
    Options
    I do understand what you are saying though and anyone thats does it just for the attention etc is silly!
  • DorkothyParker
    DorkothyParker Posts: 618 Member
    Options
    Fat Talk is a means for women to bond, however negative it is.
    http://www.livescience.com/1359-female-fat-talk-mandatory-study-finds.html
  • starspeckled
    starspeckled Posts: 313 Member
    Options
    I always say, 'if you think you're so fat, then what must you think of me?' Normally shuts them up,

^^ Win.
  • 3shirts
    3shirts Posts: 294 Member
    Options
    I know what you mean. You do need to be careful that they don't just have body issues but as you say, sometimes you can tell they are just fishing for compliments. Easiest way is to ignore them.
    If they say it as a comment rather than a question (which is the usual trick) then just stay silent. It can be very powerful and look like you agree but are too polite to say so.
  • fun_b
    fun_b Posts: 199 Member
    Options
    Some great responses here. I have also complained to good friends before about feeling fat but this was a genuine frustration on my part as I felt desperate about my weight. There is nothing wrong with this. I know thinner people also have body issues. I could be wrong and there are people who cover up their insecurities well but I have seen sides to this woman which makes me think she is attention seeking.
  • JesterMFP
    JesterMFP Posts: 3,596 Member
    Options
    Does anyone else get annoyed with thin women who talk about how fat they are all the time? I am not talking about the insecure type who feel they are fat and have body issues. I am referring to women who know they have an amazing figure, like to show it off and are very aware that they look good. I know someone like this and it really annoys me when she will come up with a random 'Oh I'm so fat' when she knows there is a group of people (mostly bigger people) around and someone will say 'Noooo! you have an amazing figure' or 'Don't be ridiculous you are stunning'. I wouldn't mind if I thought it was genuine but it is so obvious that she is just after compliments. I know there are a lot of people with genuine body issues but I know this person isn't one of them.
    Yes it is quite annoying, but if it's someone that is "just after compliments" then it sounds like she would fall in the category of "the insecure type". Maybe she's not insecure about her body, but she has other insecurities that mean she can only feel good about herself if she's getting regular compliments on her body.

I've always found it strange that people's behaviour is so easily dismissed as "attention seeking"; don't you ever wonder why they need to seek attention so desperately? Not saying that this woman doesn't sound extremely annoying, but it's something to think about.
  • Crystaleyed
    Crystaleyed Posts: 229 Member
    Options
    I know the feeling. I'm still at school so I have a lot of people like that in my life.
    Sometimes I feel so annoyed because there are a lot of people who say 'I'm so fat' not nesscesarily in a 'show off' sort of way but when someone suggests going for a run otgether or doing something about it that's it, they're not fat anymore ... it's like if you think your fat, you don't like it but you don't want to do anything about it, why mention it?
  • ClairBears84
    Options
    I know the feeling. I'm still at school so I have a lot of people like that in my life.
    Sometimes I feel so annoyed because there are a lot of people who say 'I'm so fat' not nesscesarily in a 'show off' sort of way but when someone suggests going for a run otgether or doing something about it that's it, they're not fat anymore ... it's like if you think your fat, you don't like it but you don't want to do anything about it, why mention it?

This I must agree with! Do something about it!
  • Roeri011
    Roeri011 Posts: 77 Member
    Options
    As some one who was told at 43 pounds heavier "You look fine" while I felt like crap, I can tell you the weight hurt on me. If I annoyed anyone with my complaining about my weight or "fat", I apologize.

However, I wish some one had said, you are welcome to come walk with me at lunch or have you tried the gym in our building... anything that would have been a tiny step to feeling better...

It doesn't annoy me when someone fishes for compliments (heck we all need a hug now and then) , but your post reminds me to not to make my weight everyone else's issue..

This! People have been telling me that I don't need to lose anymore weight about 30 pounds ago. I think its funny when I'm told how great I look... but I looked good before and didn't NEED to lose weight. I don't think 50 pounds is vanity weight.

Currently I feel great and am finally comfortable enough in my own skin to start showing this new shape I've worked so hard for even though I'm still not where I want to be. I don't think I complain about the weight I still have to lose and only fish for compliments from people I haven't seen in months and haven't mentioned my weight loss. I think I have another 10-15 pounds to lose to be at my goal which I'm willing to put the time and effort into. Please don't tell me I don't need to lose weight. I'd rather hear "the last 10-15 pounds are the hardest to lose".
  • pullipgirl
    pullipgirl Posts: 767 Member
    Options
    Fat Talk is a means for women to bond, however negative it is.
    http://www.livescience.com/1359-female-fat-talk-mandatory-study-finds.html

there is a study for everything wow
  • sbwood888
    sbwood888 Posts: 953 Member
    Options
    Tell her "well, I wasn't gonna say anything, but since you brought it up, you do look like you are starting to put on a few pounds'.