Diatomaceous Earth

Options

Replies

• Chief_Rocka
    Chief_Rocka Posts: 4,710 Member
    Options
    It can be used for killing bugs, but it's not "poison," it kills bugs by drying out their exoskeleton.

Food grade DE is edible, but as far as weather it will help with health, it possible, but I'd rather just eat healthy.
  • emtjmac
    emtjmac Posts: 1,320 Member
    Options
    Burn more calories than you consume and you will lose weight. There are no shortcuts.
  • Jorra
    Jorra Posts: 3,338 Member
    Options
    My nutritionist roommate had this in her giant cupboard of supplements. I think she's a nutterbutt. It's dirt you eat.
  • LucyT4dieting
    LucyT4dieting Posts: 284 Member
    Options
    Burn more calories than you consume and you will lose weight. There are no shortcuts.
  • SugarNtheRaw
    SugarNtheRaw Posts: 191 Member
    Options
    Has anyone heard of diatomaceous earth? My daughter told me about this supplement and I looked it up. It looks too good to be true, but I wondered if anyone on here ever heard of it or used it and what, if anything, it did?

You absolutely have to get the food grade DE, but yeah we give that to animals for intestinal parasites or rub it into the coats for fleas and whatnot. You can get food grade DE from amazon, "Good Earth" sells great products.
  • guardian419
    guardian419 Posts: 391 Member
    Options
    It's dirt used to kill parasites... why the @#$%@% do you want to eat it?

Did you know, if you take a cyanide pill, all of your weight loss problems instantly disappear....

Drinking bleach helps remove calories from your diet.

Not as severe, but seems like the same principal. Instead of eating dirt, eat the stuff that grows in dirt, better (healthier) weight loss plan,
  • LucyT4dieting
    LucyT4dieting Posts: 284 Member
    Options
    I really wasn't thinking about this for losing weight. The information I read said it could help with some forms of pain (I have been experiencing hip pain after walking on my treadmill), and for detox purposes (I have been having problems with constipation).
  • EvgeniZyntx
    EvgeniZyntx Posts: 24,208 Member
    Options
    It can be used for killing bugs, but it's not "poison," it kills bugs by drying out their exoskeleton.

Food grade DE is edible, but as far as weather it will help with health, it possible, but I'd rather just eat healthy.

Only when it snows or rains.
  • dperich1968
    dperich1968 Posts: 235 Member
    Options
    Has anyone heard of diatomaceous earth? My daughter told me about this supplement and I looked it up. It looks too good to be true, but I wondered if anyone on here ever heard of it or used it and what, if anything, it did?

I will take when I travel to maintain my digestion function. It will interfere with any medication you take, so wait to take meds a couple hours after you have taken DE. I add to apple juice, couple of tablespoons. My sister loves this stuff.
  • gimpygramma
    gimpygramma Posts: 383 Member
    Options
    I think it is made of ground up fossils. Used to sprinkle it around my hostas to discourage the slugs.
  • ashleyngill
    Options
    Look the research up for yourself, or see someone who specializes in natural/herbal supplements. They will likely know more about it. My husband knows quite a few people who take it as a supplement, and they said it works wonders! Particularly for making your bones stronger. However, many people from where we lived at the time thought he was crazy for even mentioning it. So...don't jump into without the research, as it may just be a fad. Or it may be an old-fashioned natural supplement that is not that well-known. Just do your own research.
  • Fozzi43
    Fozzi43 Posts: 2,984 Member
    Options
    The stuff I have for killing red mite in my hen house is brown stuff ..apparently it's the skeletons of bottom sea life creatures..the red mites crawl over it and it kills them by drying them out..never heard you can eat it?
  • Chrissie_R
    Chrissie_R Posts: 224 Member
    Options
    it's not sounding good lol i wouldn't
  • _CowgirlUp_
    _CowgirlUp_ Posts: 585 Member
    Options
    You people kill me with your assumptions as far as #1 why the OP was asking the question (since she didn't state that at first) and #2 as to what DE really is. It's not DIRT & it's not poison...jeezus.

Food grade DE is perfectly safe for human consumption. I researched it in great deal when we had our farm. We ended up buying it in 60 lb. bags to use in our feed barrels to help keep bugs & moths out of them and we also added it as a top dressing to our horses, chickens, dogs, cats & alpacas food and to their water buckets as well. It helps keep internal parasites down and helps keep alge from growing in the water buckets & also helps control flies.

As far as helping with pain, I would highly doubt it would work for that. As a cleanse, I could see where it might help rid the body of parasites burt that's about it. A friend of ours was using it this way and drinking it in his water and he reported it acted as an aphrodisiac! LOL Added bonus!

To the OP, here's a good article. http://wolfcreekranch1.tripod.com/diatomaceous_earth_flies.html
  • Cranktastic
    Cranktastic Posts: 1,517 Member
    Options
    um.
  • Linda_Darlene
    Linda_Darlene Posts: 453 Member
    Options
    Poison is always a great way to lose weight...

It is not a poison to mammals. It is safe for use around children even. It kills intestinal bugs and worm in mammals and is great to get rid of insects. But I don't understand why someone would want to take it as a supplement!
  • pullipgirl
    pullipgirl Posts: 767 Member
    Options
    what is it supposed to do for your body? Is it like activated charcoal?
  • ravengirl1611
    ravengirl1611 Posts: 285 Member
    Options
    I used to farm these in Zul'Drak.

OMG - that's where I've heard of this before!!!
  • alw141
    alw141 Posts: 59 Member
    Options
    350x197px-LL-1887dde5_wait_what.gif

This really made my day.

Me too! Still giggling. :laugh:
  • sgthaggard
    sgthaggard Posts: 581 Member
    Options
    As a supplement? No.

As a filter for fish tanks? Yes.