Diary feedback

Options

Replies

• princessanna2662
    Options
    One of my best and worse traits is being completely honest :) I actually just did this today because one of my MFP friends was struggling with loss so I checked out their diary and sent them a private message. I would hope other would do that for me. I dont creep though only if someone is struggling and comments on it would i look at their diary - or sometimes if I am getting ideas for myself! If your looking for honesty friend me - I think it is all about the respect you give when commenting....and I completely respect people who will set me straight if I am going ofcourse - thats the whole reason I am started adding friends....I don't need people to sugar coat anything for me I am a big girl ;)
  • gargisingh
    gargisingh Posts: 123 Member
    Options
    I appreciate honesty. I am weak and I need kicks. I need my friends to tell me - Stop eating crap. Even if my what my friends tell me makes no sense to me, I welcome criticism.
    I welcome friends or anyone to peep into my food diary and give me constructive criticism. Maybe that is just me!
  • wahmx3
    wahmx3 Posts: 646 Member
    Options
    I totally agree. I hate when people are way under their calorie goal and people say way to go.... I have given suggestions but no feedback on what I suggested. Feel free to add me, my diary is always open and I am honest with my food, including a daily treat or two including chocolate.
  • princessanna2662
    Options
    Oh I completely agree with @wahmx3 - it goes both ways - I have had eating issues my whole life some more destructive then others. I dislike people congradulating people for being under a 1200 calorie min...The body needs a certain amount of calories a day to sustain and be healthy.
  • TinGirl314
    TinGirl314 Posts: 430 Member
    Options
    I don't give advice unless asked...I'm trying to make this journey about ME.
    Besides...a snide comment could derail someone that's having a hard time, so I want to avoid that as well.
  • onyxgirl17
    onyxgirl17 Posts: 1,721 Member
    Options
    I don't say anything unless somebody wants advice. If someone wants to splurge, why not? Who am I to say what others should/shouldn't do it's not my body. I know what's best for me. I know what I should be doing. Some days are better than others and that's true of everyone pretty much.
  • mgobluetx12
    mgobluetx12 Posts: 1,326 Member
    Options
    I also have a hard time seeing friends who eat every meal out and constantly are over on fat and sodium. To me, this person isn't serious about being healthy and I usually end up deleting them as a friend. Those types of people are never giving me helpful comments about my diary, so it's no big loss. My diary is open and I welcome feedback. Please add me if you eat clean most of the time and are focused on health.

For anyone who is looking at my diary, I am well aware that I have been too far under my goal most days. I haven't been feeling well for awhile and am debating whether or not to see a doctor.
  • LaurenAOK
    LaurenAOK Posts: 2,475 Member
    Options
    Personally I wouldn't give feedback unless asked, because I don't really want people critiquing my food. I use MFP to track my food, not to ask for suggestions (unless i post on the forums specifically asking). If I have a bad day and eat too much taco bell, I don't need someone to tell me it's unhealthy; I'm already aware! I have some great days but fairly often I have "bad days" as well. I'm a college student and just consider it part of life. I don't need someone bringing down my spirit when I don't have a perfect day. I realize you're probably talking about constructive criticism, but some people (like me), might take it the wrong way.

For example not too long ago I had what I considered a really great day, but a friend commented and said I should get more protein. I tried to appreciate the comment, but mostly it just aggravated me. That day I had gotten around 110g of protein, which is more than 1g per lb of my lean body mass, which is what I've always heard is a good target amount. This person didn't know my lean body mass or my personal protein goals, so I didn't really see the need for them to comment.

I think I'm just a little to hot-headed for critiques :laugh:
  • ihateroses
    ihateroses Posts: 893 Member
    Options
    If someone leaves their diary open they want feedback. If they did not want you to comment they'd either make it private or not press the "complete" button at the end of each day that puts it on their profile.

Just as long as you say it "nicely" constructive criticism isn't a bad thing. It's more annoying when people say "good job" and they haven't even looked at your diary...
  • mightdomightnot
    mightdomightnot Posts: 181 Member
    Options
    I suppose people are different...personally I appreciate anyone who takes the time to look at what I'm doing and comment on it. It's nice when people comment on the positive as well as the negative and realise that I do know what I should be eating I just can't stop eating what I shouldn't!!

good topic by the way :)
  • Greg3705
    Greg3705 Posts: 122 Member
    Options
    I see there is no standard answer. I have decided to go case by case. I would not want to derail someone's efforts. Those that I know want feedback. I am always open to feedback because I am still learning too and want to eat better. thanks everyone for you input
  • twiztc
    twiztc Posts: 135
    Options
    I welcome critism but not a scolding like I'm a wayward toddler (there are some die hards on here that can be quite condescending and rude)

We all know eating healthy is good for us and most prepacked processed foods are not.
    Its like smoking...(yes i am bad) we all know its not good for us but you aint gonna stop me....only i can do that and its the same with food. We dont need telling off but some hints and gentle words of encouragements are most welcome. I have no problem someone looking at my diary and saying, hey trace...whats up you been eating more pizza and pop than usual.
  • 30Purple
    30Purple Posts: 252 Member
    Options
    I tell people how it is. I know a lot of people will say "nice job today" if the calorie count was low, even if the food sucked. Not me. I will say "eat more fiber tomorrow!" or something like that. We're here to learn to eat better!

On that note, I want some fast food now. Thanks a lot! :laugh:
  • JessicaBR0
    JessicaBR0 Posts: 256 Member
    Options
    Sorry no comment on your question, but I peeked at your diary and your oatmeal this morning sounds delicious!
  • Fvaisey
    Fvaisey Posts: 5,506 Member
    Options
    Me too! Thats why mine is open! I'll add you both :) Drinks is what gets me!

Ditto!
  • JacksMom12
    JacksMom12 Posts: 1,044 Member
    Options
    I drink a **** load of water but don't log it. Some people don't log water so I don't really go by that. Other than that, I only give advice when asked. But also, remember that everyone has different goals. You mentioned 3 servings of fruit a day but some people are insulin resistant and don't eat many carbs for medical reasons, etc. When we are at the end of a pay period, my diary can get a little sketch because I can't afford to go shopping those last days before we get paid. Maybe someone budgeted their calories all week to fit in that big Mac meal. You can't really assess everyone's personal goals and issues based on your own, IMO. Sometimes I have to kindly remind myself that not everyone eats 130 grams of protein a day like me and that's okay haha. If someone's intake sucks on a daily basis and they ASK for advice, I'll give it. Some people need to make baby steps though. You can't go from eating 4000 calories a day to eating super clean, whole foods in a day.... Gotta walk before you run.
  • gatorginger
    gatorginger Posts: 947 Member
    Options
    My dairy is open but I'm one of those people who don't like many veggies so giving me advice on that won't help much. I have started eating better since joining mfp by adding fruits and nuts to my daily intake but like I said giving me advice if I don't ask for it isn't gonna help because my taste buds don't like a lot of heathy things. I wouldn't get mad at someone for making a suggestion, if I like it I would consider it, if not oh well.
  • Gramps251
    Gramps251 Posts: 738 Member
    Options
    I tend to look through diaries to get ideas but wouldn't make suggestions unless some one asks.

I keep mine open to public because......why not?
  • Julicat6
    Julicat6 Posts: 231 Member
    Options
    I don't mind so much if people comment on mine. I have it open to public, just because I do post a lot on the message boards and think it is only fair. I try not to criticize unless someone is actively asking for feedback. I will comment if a particular day looks really good on a friend's diary. I only make suggestions to people asking for feedback or personal friends where I know what is going on in their daily life. I think everyone has different dietary needs and preferences and they may not be the same as mine.
  • elisa123gal
    elisa123gal Posts: 4,287 Member
    Options
    recently closed mine because I found myself worrying what other people thought of my choices. So..I found myself leaving things off my log because of fear of judgment. I also dropped all my friends because most of them always ask.."open your diary" ..

On the other hand..I'm guilty of judging too. I had one "friend" who stuck to her calorie goals but had chocolate milk for breakfast... a cinnabon for dinner and a candy bar for lunch. It was very hard not to say anything.