What do you do (other than going to the gym) for exercise?

Options
Wouldn't you rather take a ballet class, jazz class, jump on a trampoline, learn how to tap dance, or play soccer than go to the gym and run on a stupid treadmill and lift weights? I know they have classes and I've heard Zumba is pretty awesome, but most classes I find so boring and repetitive.

I was a competitive gymnast for 13 years and was a college cheerleader. I also danced (ballet and jazz) and I did diving in HS. Now I'm about to graduate college and I feel like my only options are going to a stuffy gym or starting the new crossfit craze (I have nothing against crossfit, other than I don't think it's for me.)

Am I the only person that just wants to take classes and do fun activities like I did when I was a kid? Does anyone remember DZ discovery zone? That place was a blast!

I just want to have fun. What do you all do for physical activity other than going to the gym?? Or what would you like to be able to do again; for instance play shipwreck or red rover like we used to play in elementary PE?

Replies

• RGv2
    RGv2 Posts: 5,789 Member
    Options
    Football, Basketball, Hockey.
  • junipearl
    junipearl Posts: 326 Member
    Options
    bike to work when weather permits :)
  • vicktoria339
    Options
    i have lots of dance-based workout DVDS and just pick one randomly each day. Youtube is also good for exercise 'classes'
  • BrianSharpe
    BrianSharpe Posts: 9,248 Member
    Options
    I don't go to the gym; I run, ride my bike, play soccer, row (indoors on an erg), swim and I have have strength training equipment at home.
  • CarsonRuns
    CarsonRuns Posts: 3,039 Member
    Options
    Run.
  • Ge0rgiana
    Ge0rgiana Posts: 1,649 Member
    Options
    Wouldn't you rather take a ballet class, jazz class, jump on a trampoline, learn how to tap dance, or play soccer than go to the gym and run on a stupid treadmill and lift weights?

Stupid treadmill, absolutely. Weights, NO.
  • trogalicious
    trogalicious Posts: 4,583 Member
    Options
    Run.

I also hike, trail run, and ride a bicycle.
  • ahviendha
    ahviendha Posts: 1,291 Member
    Options
    I walk my dog. I've trained him to stop at intersections/streets and I tell him to wait (pause a second) then go and we sprint across the street and a good bit afterwards.

Seems silly but I always end up laughing and out of breath. I just love the way my dog leaps off the curb and has such a zest for life!

Or I'll let him off the leash in a big grassy area, and chase him around, or get him to chase me.

Also sex.
  • poedunk65
    poedunk65 Posts: 1,336 Member
    Options
    Play with my new puppy and take him for short walks. Play raquetball and swimm too.
  • RGv2
    RGv2 Posts: 5,789 Member
    Options
    Wouldn't you rather take a ballet class, jazz class, jump on a trampoline, learn how to tap dance, than go to the gym and run on a stupid treadmill and lift weights?

If those are the choices:

Absolutely --- 100% -- NO.

I like the treadmill, and lifting..especially over those choices.
  • mikeyboy
    mikeyboy Posts: 1,057 Member
    Options
    Golf, hike, ride my bike, and lift.
  • acpgee
    acpgee Posts: 7,674 Member
    Options
    Before I got ill last year, which left me slightly disabled I used to love speed skating and roller blading long distance in the countryside. Also biking to work and tour biking on vacation. If you were a gymnast, you might like figure skating. It's also all about strength to body weight ratio, and knowing where your center of mass is.
  • nexangelus
    nexangelus Posts: 2,080 Member
    Options
    I cycle everywhere and run when I can. Also do yoga once a week to keep me supple.
  • JenMull44
    JenMull44 Posts: 226 Member
    Options
    Bike, Hike, Walk, Swim anything outdoors I do it !
  • mocha106
    mocha106 Posts: 64 Member
    Options
    Walking, instead of driving, whenever I get the opportunity.
  • BrieLP
    BrieLP Posts: 300 Member
    Options
    my hubby and i play on a co-ed softball team.... I miss dancing though, when i lived in california i was an awesome line dancer and that *kitten* was a workout!
  • pullipgirl
    pullipgirl Posts: 767 Member
    Options
    belly dancing
  • beccala18
    beccala18 Posts: 293 Member
    Options
    I do a kickboxing class (hitting pads with gloves and everything) that I love. It's outside for the spring and summer. I hate when we go back inside!

I also play on a touch football league that has a game once a week.

Though I have to say that I like strength training as well - it's fun to increase the weight. I prefer that over any more cardio!
  • giggitygoo
    giggitygoo Posts: 1,978 Member
    Options
    I take a ballet based strength class (bar method)! It's way fun. Plus, I don't feel like a total spaz in there because I can draw on my dance background a bit.

I miss fun exercise too. Working out in a gym has always seemed like pointless exertion to me. Dance is like self expression in the form of a great workout. I miss that too.

Things that I do that are still kinda fun:

Spin class
    Bar Class
    Pilates
    Yoga (I like that yoga can be graceful and beautiful)
    I walk everywhere, even the grocery store
    Riding my road bike to the beach

PS: we have a similar background. I'm a lifelong athlete. Dance (competitive contemporary + 10 years pro), cheer leading, and gymnastics (I really sucked as a gymnast though. Too contradictory with ballet training)
  • tempest678
    tempest678 Posts: 12 Member
    Options
    There are usually a few Mud Runs in my area each year. Except for the last one I did, I had a BLAST doing those races. Rolling around in the mud, climbing up stuff, rolling down stuff were all just so much fun. My husband and I trained by doing runs and, in the middle, playing on some playground equipment in our neighborhood.