What do you do (other than going to the gym) for exercise?

Options

Replies

• slightlymad13
    Options
    Zumba is brilliant fun! Its a great mixture of dancing and aerobics so burns plenty of calories whilst still being fun! Other things I like to do include cycling (outdoors), badminton, aqua aerobics, body pump and good old fashioned walking!
  • RMT2RMW
    Options
    Jump Street (Room filled with Big Trampolines), Zumba (Have to find the right teacher), Walk to get a RedBox movie, jump rope
  • emzack
    emzack Posts: 26 Member
    Options
    Run.

I also hike, trail run, and ride a bicycle.

Me too, plus yoga.
  • RobfromLakewood
    Options
    I love the gym for what can be done there, but I really love bicycling. It used to be tough to ride in the 12-15 mile range, now I hate anything less than 20 and 40+ is very doable at an 18 mph+ rate.

I also love Frisbee golf and since MFP allows it, I add in my dog walks, less exercise and more about time with my two dogs.
  • DrMAvDPhD
    DrMAvDPhD Posts: 2,097 Member
    Options
    Oh yeah I forgot kayaking in the summer and skiing in the winter!
  • green_owl
    green_owl Posts: 62 Member
    Options
    I’m one of the crossfit people. And I love it. Never get bored. Maybe you just have to try it once before deciding it's not for you, especially if you are experienced gymnast.
    But I also love mountain biking, swimming, running outside, hiking. And some snowboarding holiday once a year.
    Riding my city bike every day I don’t even count as exercise anymore.
  • makenoexcuses
    makenoexcuses Posts: 128 Member
    Options
    I love swimming, it's always been a passion of mine. Competitively and just for fitness. Another thing I have been enjoying is the youtube channel blogilates, she has some amazing workouts on there. I also go for a jog when it's warm enough.
  • valnewb
    Options
    walk dogs and have discovered zumba recently , im hopeless at it but love it, its such fun. Having a go at a yoga class monday, for the first time
  • alvalaurie
    alvalaurie Posts: 369 Member
    Options
    I use DVD's that encorporate dance to make it fun. I also swim in the summer & play volleyball with my kids in the yard (daughter was a big vball player in HS). My all time favorite is yardwork. By yeadwork, I mean mowing with a push mower (& I rake & bag the clippings manually), meticulously weedeating & trimming, creating flower beds. I used to have a side business doing landscaping but just recently stopped b/c time just doesn't permit it anymore. Love to be in the yard letting my creative juices flowing!
  • Ezada
    Ezada Posts: 207 Member
    Options
    My ultimate Goal, I want to be able to do a cartwheel again. Right into a HUGE Pile of leaves next fall.

I like the gym honestly, but I do various things there. I use the treadmill to train myself to be a runner, I take classes (Pilates and soon ZUMBA and Yoga!) I love to go swimming.

I don't like lifting weights but it's seriously 15min of my life 3 days a week. I spend more time on the toilet and if that will help strengthen my upper body then so be it! Course given the option I would rather chase a toddler around and play airplane with them than lift weights :D

Then there is the ultimate sport, Medieval Foam Weapon Combat, and I can't WAIT until I am back in enough shape to start fighting again :D

I've never been much of a dancer, I like to dance in my kitchen and shower but that is about it.
  • Fitmiss07
    Options
    You should try joining a community team! I joined a rec league co-ed softball team with some friends and it's been such a fun way to get in some physical activity! Besides our 3 games a week we also practice on the weekends so it's been a great help to staying in shape!
  • joanne70
    joanne70 Posts: 68 Member
    Options
    Walk my dog Charlie, wi-fit, Zumba classes and legs bums and tums class :smile:
  • FullOfWin
    FullOfWin Posts: 1,414 Member
    Options
    nothing else. well, nothing that i should type here.
  • StarIsMoving
    Options
    I don't go to a gym to workout.
    At home: Insanity DVD, kickboxing, weights, elliptical
    Outside: swimming, biking, walking, running, and tennis
    I have 2 different areas to run... one is on the regular back road, but my favorite is a desert terrain area... quiet and awesome :)
  • shellihooten
    Options
    I find going to the gym boring if I'm going into the main part with the treadmills, stepmills, ellipticals, etc.
    However, I LOVE taking classes that my gym offers because I find them very fun & I like being surrounded by like-minded upbeat people who are working out.
    I love zumba, muscle conditioning, cardio & tone, boot camp, TRX, yoga, etc. I pretty much like any class that our gym offers.. I just find them more interesting & fun instead of being bored out in the main gym hoofing it out on a treadmill.

^^^this^^^

I am only in my 5th month of my lifestyle change. I have never belonged to a gym(I'm 46). I LOVE my gym and all the classes I take. I won't do the treadmill etc, when I can be outdoors walking/jogging. Through this and a major shift in 'what I eat' I have lost 66 pounds since June 1st, so it's working well for me.

Many great ideas have been put out there for you! Hope you find what suits you.
  • Nicole71602
    Options
    I personally do enjoy going to the gym...find out if your gym ( or one you may join) offered any classes...mine has Zumba and I enjoy it...it might depend on the instructor but I do find it fun. Perhaps going with a gym buddy might help so that the time will go by faster...otherwise find other ways to incorporate exercise in your day...take a walls on your lunch break, walk around the track at your old high school. You can also exercise at home...throw on your favorite music and get moving...I do that at home all the time...I also use exercise videos in my living room. Do whatever makes you happy-- as long as you do something to get your heart rate up it's better than sitting home on the couch!!! Have fun!
  • Bakkasan
    Bakkasan Posts: 1,027 Member
    Options
    I bike, hike, and I love going to the gym to lift. It's hard to find perfectly symmetrical boulders with handles in the NC foothills.
  • marz42
    marz42 Posts: 223 Member
    Options
    I burned 1340 calories on Dance Dance revolution over 5 hours yesterday. DDR is my primary workout. You can go pretty damn hard.

What do you do it on, wii? xbox? do you need something other than console for it? I am video game impaired.
  • marz42
    marz42 Posts: 223 Member
    Options
    I've taken some zumba and I really like it, and I've been collecting a variety of dancey dvds to do at home. They've got these bollywood and bhangra aerobics ones that look fun that I haven't tried yet, and I like the salsa-y ones as well. I'd love to take more swing dance and really get into that but most of the local classes require signing up with a partner. Oh and I've taken a couple classes of nia, which is really cool but its harder to find and the times and locations don't work for my schedule at the moment. It was sort of like if yoga and jazz dance and slower zumba got all mixed together with a big warm fuzzy vibe.

There is another class I've heard about that I'd like to try but can't find offered around here...Drums Alive!. Apparently it is an aerobic class where you bang on big drums. Probably easier to get an idea of from youtube.

When walking outside I listen to podcasts and it makes the time fly by. On the treadmill I put on all kinds of music, because it makes me go faster and blocks out the loud music in the gym better.

I would say I'm at a beginner intensity level or maybe intermediate. I like the idea of crossfit with different workouts every day, but I'm no where near ready for that yet. Headstand pushups? Eeep.
  • Cespuglio
    Cespuglio Posts: 385 Member
    Options
    I teach dance. I also take dance classes. When weather permits, I walk about 40 NYC blocks or rollerblade a rough equivalent of that.